Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parking ticket

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    what @Fortune 82nd Minute said

if you are going to appeal it don't give them a penny unless/until your appeal fails
  • Options
    Definitely need to plead innocence to Sainsburys before paying. The parking ticket firm don't have any incentive to waive legitimate issued tickets and unlikely to even refer to Sainsbury's for authority to cancel on special grounds.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I assume the company are a member of the POPLA system? https://popla.co.uk/

If so, that is the appeals route. It's all explained there. (Or should be). From what you've said though, the only grounds you have would be inadequate signage at the car park. You'll need to go back with a camera and take evidence that the signs were not easy to see, (maybe overgrown trees, etc, not on all locations and/or misleading. Or a combination of those. There is no point, IMO, of paying and then appealing.

But as @Dippenhall says, it's likely that leaning on Sainsbury's is your best/first option.
  • Options
    Don't pay it !
    Send your letter first (within the reduced amount time period).
  • Options
    Don't not pay it or answer any corespondent! If you do then it's an massion of guilt an you WILL have to pay, private company will threaten to take you to court and issue final notices, do not reply in anyway, it will cost the company more money to take you to Court, plus they know they aren't guaranteed to win. They will win if you answer any correspondence even if your try to appeal

The only parking ticket you should defo pay is a parked enforcement notices from the council
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Gumbo said:

Don't not pay it or answer any corespondent! If you do then it's an massion of guilt an you WILL have to pay, private company will threaten to take you to court and issue final notices, do not reply in anyway, it will cost the company more money to take you to Court, plus they know they aren't guaranteed to win. They will win if you answer any correspondence even if your try to appeal

The only parking ticket you should defo pay is a parked enforcement notices from the council

Who says they won't take you to court, they did me!
    Unfortunately that's an old wives tale Gumbo....a year or so back I got a ticket in an estate agents private car park and had to pay treble the original ticket (£180) and I had religiously ignored 'all' their correspondence too.
    The estate agents were highly embarrassed but there was nothing they could do.
  • Options

Gumbo said:

Unfortunately that's an old wives tale Gumbo....a year or so back I got a ticket in an estate agents private car park and had to pay treble the original ticket (£180) and I had religiously ignored 'all' their correspondence too.
    Interesting info.
    Did you get a court summons?
    Did you attend?
    Did they attend?

When these cases have come to judgement previously, the award has been aligned to what the space is worth to the owner for the time you used it. So, sometimes local car parking charges are used and the award is a multiple of that (e.g. local parking is £5/hour, then award could be 5 or 10 times that).
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Gumbo said:

Interesting info.
    Did you attend?
    Did they attend?

When these cases have come to judgement previously, the award has been aligned to what the space is worth to the owner for the time you used it. So, sometimes local car parking charges are used and the award is a multiple of that (e.g. local parking is £5/hour, then award could be 5 or 10 times that).
    Yes, I got a court summons but decided to pay before it went to a hearing in order to avoid a CCJ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017

Gumbo said:

Interesting info.
    Did you attend?
    Did they attend?

Yes, I got a court summons but decided to pay before it went to a hearing in order to avoid a CCJ.
    If you felt the charge should not have stood you should have defended it. If someone battles a debt and it loses in court yes there is a CCJ issued but a County Court Judgement only appears on your record if you fail to pay the reward within 1 month.

If a person received a CCJ against them and pays within 30 days then the CCJ is removed upon application from the persons credit file. People go to court all the time to battle such things and a CCJ is only a negative if it is not paid in full within a month. If a CCJ stood regardless people would pay incorrect bills for fear of their credit rating being effected for the next six years if the bill turned out to be correct

I concur with others on this, if this debt is paid then appealed there is zero chance of a refund.
  • Options
    Yes, your suggested scenario in paragraph two is exactly what happened.
    I was guilty as charged......as they say.....I just ignored all their communications hoping they'd go away.
    They didn't, they are a well known nationwide private parking enforcement company (whose name I forget), who were well known for not following up on prosecutions. I got that information about them from the internet, so to my cost I chose to ignore them.
    However, a few years back they started to prosecute following a change in legislation which made it easier for them to take matters to the courts.
    Maybe you know the change in legislation I'm referring to?
  • Options

I was guilty as charged......as they say.....I just ignored all their communications hoping they'd go away.
    They didn't, they are a well known nationwide private parking enforcement company (whose name I forget), who were well known for not following up on prosecutions. I got that information about them from the internet, so to my cost I chose to ignore them.
    However, a few years back they started to prosecute following a change in legislation which made it easier for them to take matters to the courts.

Parking Eye? I recall stuff changed quite a lot regarding these firms willingness to go to court after the Beavis ruling a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Horizon are now managing nearly all of Sainsbury's car parks. ANPR is also now being introduced, worth checking at the entrance as you drive in.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Parking Eye? I recall stuff changed quite a lot regarding these firms willingness to go to court after the Beavis ruling a couple of years ago.
    No not them......I believe my lot were based in the Birmingham area.
  • Options

Gumbo said:

I'm sorry you got a ticket but glad you have posted your experience on here.

There are far too many people who say don't pay these tickets issued in private car parks, ignore them, they won't take you to court etc.

They are quite simply wrong. Some of these companies will take you to court. And once they do that, costs can start spiraling out of all proportion to the original ticket.
  • Options

Gumbo said:

I'm sorry you got a ticket but glad you have posted your experience on here.

There are far too many people who say don't pay these tickets issued in private car parks, ignore them, they won't take you to court etc.

They are quite simply wrong. Some of these companies will take you to court. And once they do that, costs can start spiraling out of all proportion to the original ticket.
    True, some will take you to court, but you must enter a defence (improper signage, justified reason etc) and be prepared to attend.
    In general, the parking company cannot afford to attend.

A popular defence for the "too long in our car park" ticket is to say you visited twice and they have mixed up the in times and out times. This requires a bit of leg work on their part and there is also the possibility of their camera failure - so they usually don't bother. BUT yes, sometimes they do.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    One of the most irritating features is that the court can be at the other end of the bloody country but of course near to the offices of the company you are in dispute with......you can spend a small fortune if you wish to attend on travel costs alone ........and of course, the slippery feckers know this only too well.
  • Options

One of the most irritating features is that the court can be at the other end of the bloody country but of course near to the offices of the company you are in dispute with......you can spend a small fortune if you wish to attend on travel costs alone ........and of course, the slippery feckers know this only too well.

It is the defendants right to have the case transferred to a court of their choice. If you choose the Isle of Wight, the feckers are looking at £100 ferry cost too !
  • Options

It is the defendants right to have the case transferred to a court of their choice. If you choose the Isle of Wight, the feckers are looking at £100 ferry cost too !
    Oh really......now that’s interesting.
    Thanks Phil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember when most parking was free! Showing my age now!
  • Options
    I remember when ALL parking was free!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I shouldn't say this but my Dad found out that parking meters accepted Italian 5 Lira coins - worth less than half a pence. I think there was a shortage of 5 Lira coins after our holiday there!
  • Options

I shouldn't say this but my Dad found out that parking meters accepted Italian 5 Lira coins - worth less than half a pence. I think there was a shortage of 5 Lira coins after our holiday there!

I dunno, whats the world coming to when people don't want to pay their fair share :wink: for the many not the few!
  • Options
    Got a parking ticket, Saturday evening in Blackheath.
    Arrived at 17:12 downloaded the RingGo App and set up my account. I believe I paid for 1 3/4hrs until 19:00 which was £2.85, it wasn't until I got back to the car and saw the ticket, I realized there was a problem. Checked the app and I had no parking history, so I hadn't paid.

I've tried to appeal, however I'm unable to do so as I'm getting an error when I tried to post online, I was attaching a copy of the Ringo Registration email with a time on it. Other than writing to them, there doesn't seem to be any other way to contact them. I bet if I go to pay it online, there won't be a problem.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Have you checked your bank account ? If you've not been debited then you've not paid. No argument I would say.
  • Options
    Audi loaned me a vehicle while mine was in the workshop and Just received a letter from Audi saying they have paid a parking fine of £60. The penalty notice issued by 3D Parking and Audi added £25 administration fee and have taken it out of my debit card pre-authorised for collecting fines. I know I paid online for the parking and have found the debit card entry on my statement.

I have contacted 3D saying I want reimbursement of £85. The only thing going through my mind is that I entered the wrong reg number. I use Ringo and have my car reg automatically entered, but this was not Ringo, but I may have paid 3D previously and a different reg number got picked up.

Anyone any previous experience of this. Online searches suggest adjudications can go against you if you enter the wrong reg number.
  • Options
    Just checked and I paid by "Paybyphone" app which has activity history and confirms i paid using the stored reg number of my own car, not the hire car.