Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox to Wednesday?

Comments

• Options
    Where do people see him playing if not LB and don't say non league...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Centre back or even as a defensive central midfielder. He may not be super quick but he's quicker and fitter than anything in our midfield just now to the extent that he apparently pushed Cousins all the way when he (Cousins) broke the Club 1500 metre record in pre season training.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'd want him at CB as he is more error prone than any of our CB's, I would consider him in midfield alongside either Crofts or preferably Ulvestad though.

Wouldn't want him behind the midfield pairing as that would mean we are either one less in defence or one less up top?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I'd just make the point that Chris Powell, who knew a thing or two about the position of left back, played Fox in the absence of Wiggins.

Did he? Happy to be proved wrong but I thought Powell picked Lennon ahead of Fox at left back when Wiggins was injured

• Options

LenGlover said:

I'd just make the point that Chris Powell, who knew a thing or two about the position of left back, played Fox in the absence of Wiggins.

Did he? Happy to be proved wrong but I thought Powell picked Lennon ahead of Fox at left back when Wiggins was injured

Harry Lennon (2013/14)... http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=73365&season_id=143
    Morgan Fox (2013/14)... http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=68223&season_id=143

Lennon was picked on three occasions by Powell whilst Fox was only picked twice yet did spend time at Notts County in 2014 prior to coming back from his loan spell there.
  • Options
    I do enjoy this "never hides" comment. It's actually really hard to play in defence and hide , particularly in a crap side . Look, the guy is clearly a really good pro and deserves better than he gets from our fans. The fact that he's a terrible footballer isn't mutually exclusive from my earlier comments
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

I do enjoy this "never hides" comment. It's actually really hard to play in defence and hide , particularly in a crap side . Look, the guy is clearly a really good pro and deserves better than he gets from our fans. The fact that he's a terrible footballer isn't mutually exclusive from my earlier comments

Lawrie Wilson used to manage it. I liked Lawrie but he often came in for some criticism from the stands and he did his best to make himself unavailable for a pass when it got to him
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I see that as he continues to try and get forward and put crosses in even if he's having a bad game and some fans get on his back.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

I see that as he continues to try and get forward and put crosses in even if he's having a bad game and some fans get on his back.
    Tbf I'd also try and do that, problem is I'm right footed and shit.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

cafc4life said:

Probably in the top 3 of worst players I've ever seen down the Valley for us. If this is true then I'll happily drive him there now .

Has 0 footballing ability whatsoever , people let his passion cloud their judgement on him . He's total shit .

Jesus you must have had your eyes closed for most of the time - Morgan Fox isnt brilliant but there have been A LOT of players worse than him in a Charlton shirt since he made his debut alone!!

If anything he's on a par with the likes of Lawrie Wilson and Bradley Pritchard

Rhys Williams | Naby Sarr | Cristian Ceballos | Ricardo Vaz Te | Zak Bergdich | Conor McAleny | Reza
    Roger Johnson | El-Hadji Ba | Oguchi Onyewu | Loïc Nego | Yohann Thuram | George Tucudean | Christophe Lepoint | Neil Etheridge | Davide Petrucci | Marcus Tudgay | Piotr Parzyszek | Mark Gower | Simon Church

*Note not saying that some of the above names are crap, just think Fox is better than them
    F**k me, we've had some absolute dross.

......every year we improve
  • Options
    There have been players that wouldn't. Different position but I remember Alan McCormack being scared of making a mistake. He'd just move the ball on to the player next to him avoiding taking a risk himself.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Dazzler21 said:

Centre back or even as a defensive central midfielder. He may not be super quick but he's quicker and fitter than anything in our midfield just now to the extent that he apparently pushed Cousins all the way when he (Cousins) broke the Club 1500 metre record in pre season training.
    I wouldn't mind him playing well in his proper posistion!
  • Options
    has he gone yet ? .. show us the money !!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    LenGlover said:

Dazzler21 said:

some pre season photos showed Fox lugging huge truck tyres around .. the notion was that he was determined to be as fit as possible for the new season

you can't fault Fox on his fitness or his attitude, he's a 100%er .. what he lacks is the pace and positional sense to be a top footballer .. pity .. but he'll do a decent job wherever he lands up .. can't ask for more than 100% effort from any player (well you can but it's a physical impossibility)
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Dazzler21 said:

some pre season photos showed Fox lugging huge truck tyres around.. the notion was that he was determined to be as fit as possible for the new season

you can't fault Fox on his fitness or his attitude, he's a 100%er .. what he lacks is the pace and positional sense to be a top footballer .. pity .. but he'll do a decent job wherever he lands up .. can't ask for more than 100% effort from any player (well you can but it's a physical impossibility)
    Either that, or a career at Eddie Stobart awaits him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would probably do him good sadly. Which is a shame because I think the tools are there for him to be a very decent full back.

Out of pure interest and curiosity those who really don't like him, what did you think of Jamie Stuart?
  • Options

Single train ticket from charlton to Sheffield is £80. How do I donate?

I'll keep hold of the pot!
  • Options
    As others have said, Fox is a young player who's come into our side at one of the worst times in our history and predominantly played in a struggling side and has his own fans on his back most weeks. In a better side i've no doubt he could thrive.

However 2m for a player who will likely get no better whilst he's with us, isn't bad business and i'd probably prefer to play Chicksen at the moment anyway.
  • Options

As others have said, Fox is a young player who's come into our side at one of the worst times in our history and predominantly played in a struggling side and has his own fans on his back most weeks. In a better side i've no doubt he could thrive.

However 2m for a player who will likely get no better whilst he's with us, isn't bad business and i'd probably prefer to play Chicksen at the moment anyway.

£1m
  • Options
    Carter said:

It would probably do him good sadly. Which is a shame because I think the tools are there for him to be a very decent full back.

Out of pure interest and curiosity those who really don't like him, what did you think of Jamie Stuart?

Having been a goalie that played behind Jamie for 2 seasons I thought he was the dogs bollocks - but not as intelligent as Morgan. Jamie had enough pace to get him out of trouble if he made a mistake. He was also extremely strong in the tackle . Whilst he may actually have been fairly limited as a player he would always give his all and that really is all you can ask for in a player.

Left back is the hardest position of all to fill. Left footed players are rare. People who want to play in defence are also rare. Finding people who fulfil both criteria of very difficult yet it is a position we have historically always been quite decent with. Fox is a steady Eddie type. A reasonably solid defender but not really quick enough for the modern game's wingback role and I suspect that could be why he doesn't fit into Robinsons plan if this is the case. If he is looking for a full back to Bomb on and put in dangerous crosses I'm not sure Mr Fox is your man and so if an offer is on the table I'm pretty sure that's why he's taken it.

• Options
    edited December 2016

£1m
    Crickey, its like homes under the hammer, keep going and we'll end up paying too get shot of him!

Edit - which given the track record of our fragrant CEO wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Having watched a lot of Fox. I think he has gone backwards. When he first broke into the team, I could see some potential. I think the things holding him back are that his touch is not good enough, he has no pace, he is not as an effective attacking force as he could be and the qulaity of his balls are hit and miss. He does have a good ball in him, but far more bad balls. I have watched a lot of Fox to come to this assessment and I have been waiting for him to make a step up but it hasn't come. I thought he would enjoy this league, but he looks worse in it than he did in the higher league. The way he will become a better player is if he finds a way to up teh consistancy of his ball/delivery. That is where he has potential.

I always rated Francis because I thought he had the physical attributes needed. He was very attacking minded and a couple of times he tried to make something happen and we got caught out and the fans took out their frustrations on him. I did get some stick at the time for saying I rated him higher than Solly! Solly made me look a bit of an idiot for a while, but my judgement of Francis was sound.

Back to Fox. Listen to a game on player and count how many times when Fox has the ball, the next player to have the ball is a Charlton player. Count how many times the commentator says can he get to this, and see how many times he actually does! Count how many times you hear - He needs to beat Fox or he needs to get a cross in and how many times it happens. It really backs up what you see.
  • Options
    In a team that has a player of the quality of say a kinsella or Parker or chris perry to cover him Fox will do very well. He's had to cover a lot of additional space as charlton's left back, left midfield and only attacking option down the left wing and when for instance you have players up front like Ajose who I've yet to see trap and control a pass to him then Fox is all too easily caught out of position through no fault of his own. If there is one aspect of his play that I think he needs to work on then it's his passing, I see him as a player that too often seems like he isn't looking at where and who he's kicking the ball to.
  • Options

£1m Undisclosed
    Fixed it for both of you