Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox to Wednesday?

Comments

• Options
    Best game I saw him play was against Wednesday away last season funny enough. Shakey 10 mins (regular occurance) but this time he put a cruncher on McGeady and was solid. If he has a defensive jack of all trades player infront of him he is ok. If you are looking for a rock to cover a right sided att mid, then you are wasting money.
  • Options
    He hasn't been great but has been unfairly singled out by a lot of our supporters.
    Don't begrudge anyone the chance to escape the sea of shit that is cafc. A chance to uncharltonise.
  • Options
    Take whatever they're offering and watch him kick on like some of the others that have left.
  • Options
    Robinson's belgium trip obviously went well
  • Options
    Those that like Fox, it seems that most are saying that he tries hard. Whilst I won't deny that is that a reason to think someone is a good player? Does it come back to the cliches we were talking about the other day about passion, hard work, blood and guts etc etc.? Because for me if that's all he has to offer then I'll take 6 figures gladly.
  • Options
    Brilliant full-back - will be England regular before end of decade.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Those that like Fox, it seems that most are saying that he tries hard. Whilst I won't deny that is that a reason to think someone is a good player? Does it come back to the cliches we were talking about the other day about passion, hard work, blood and guts etc etc.? Because for me if that's all he has to offer then I'll take 6 figures gladly.

And replace him with someone similar to a player like Reza (only a Left-Back)... Someone who has the talent yet has no passion cant be bothered to work for the team? - I think its proven the last few years how difficult it is to get someone who has both the talent and care for Charlton and at the moment I'd definitely take someone with the latter!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

Brilliant full-back - will be England regular before end of decade.

He is Welsh.
    Was born in Chelmsford so despite playing for Wales U21s he's not actually played in a competitive game for the Senior Squad so could still play for England ;)
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

And replace him with someone similar to a player like Reza (only a Left-Back)... Someone who has the talent yet has no passion cant be bothered to work for the team? - I think its proven the last few years how difficult it is to get someone who has both the talent and care for Charlton and at the moment I'd definitely take someone with the latter!!
    Chicksen is a better left back imo. Reza (who i hated) had a lack of passion and talent, but there must be a decent LB willing to go out on loan from the prem. Flip that, there must also be a good upcoming LB from the lower leagues. In both instances the players should be hungry to succeed.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I think people need to look around and understand even semi decent left backs are hard to find. Do you remember how many we churned through under Parkinson and Powell before Wiggins arrived?

Even prior to Parkinson... You've got to go back to Hermann as our last settled Left-Back prior to Rhoys Wiggins.

Thatcher | Powell | Youga | McEverly | Borrowdale | Jackson all tried to make the position theirs
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    colthe3rd said:

Completely agree that, unto itself, it is nowhere near enough, and I'm very much in the camp of "I prefer technical ability to 'passion'.:" The hard work bits are not something I had in my comments, but I do think it's a good trait in an individual in that he has been dealt a lot of stick, and had some very poor games, and has constantly bounced back from it. Whatever you think of him as a player, surely you can't deny him that.

As the mark of a young professional, it shows that he is able to deal with failure and criticism, and a good work ethic hopefully means he will improve through that hard work. I do think Fox has improved, and it particularly showed in the second half of last season. Against Boro, he had Adomah (I think it was) in his back pocket, closed down every cross and gave him no joy. Sometimes improvement in young players is lopsided, and you take two steps forward and one step backward, but I think with the right coaching and better players around him than we currently have he will continue to improve.
  • Options
    Hope this is true. For us and for Foxy. My own view is that despite being a good lad and an honest trier, he's just not good enough. Too many aspects of his game just not up to scratch. He looks like a converted centre half as he's always too far infield for me. Oh wait! I'd wish him well but snap off the hand that offers more than about £100k. Actually, it's Dooshit's money so call it ten bob.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As far as I am aware only Tutt Tutt on this thread has worked as a scout in football and he rates him which says something @owlsonlineadmin .

My understanding is that we almost released him as a lad but he worked like mad to get his contract. You would be getting a very hard working, dedicated young pro with a decent level of experience. He has height on his side for a FB but lacks pace and gets caught out. He has always worked far better with someone to provide protection in front of him, often in our set ups he has been isolated.

Personally, I see him as League One and certainly not promotion chasing Championship but then I thought Simon Francis was just about the worst player to pull on a shirt for us and was nicking a living. He is now Biurnemouth skipper and a mainstay in a successful PL team which shows what I (and most others on here who had /have a similar opinion) know.

If I recall correctly, Tutt-tutt pointed out some significant deficiencies in his game on the other Morgan Fox thread. He didn't question his attitude but did say we should have sold him when we had the chance.

I think it might be best for Fox that he moves on and makes a new start. If (and its a BIG 'if') the money is spent on a replacement that improves the team at that position, its good business.
  • Options
    It's ok , we've got Tariq Holmes.....oh shit!
  • Options
    Great post Grapevine.
    I do think people tend to overlook the effect complete turmoil can have on one's character.
  • Options
    I would be amazed if right at this moment Archie Edwards is the answer, good lad though he is.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    buckshee said:

It's ok , we've got Tariq Holmes.....oh shit!

Yeah that's what's so frustrating. We had offers for Fox in the summer as well, decided to keep him and let THD go. To be fair THD forced a move, but I suspect he might have felt differently if he'd been first choice or seemingly in Slade's plans at all. Now that Slade's gone, KR might have fancied him, and we're now looking to sell Fox.

There's no medium to longer term thinking or continuity (not even by six months!). Slade and KR have very different styles, and we have no Director of Football looking not only at individual players, but how they fit into a larger system, to provide exactly that joined up thinking. We can blame Meire for not having that, but I'd argue that's not the job of the CEO at a football club. She is to blame for not hiring some to do that job.
  • Options
    wholehearted but limited .. I'll be sorry to see him go .. BUT .. it seems that Robinson needs or wants to sign 4 or 5, to do that he need some funds coming in .. so if Fox goes, so be it ..
    and let's face it the Owls are in with a chance of promotion, Fox could well jump at the chance of a move
  • Options

As far as I am aware only Tutt Tutt on this thread has worked as a scout in football and he rates him which says something @owlsonlineadmin .

My understanding is that we almost released him as a lad but he worked like mad to get his contract. You would be getting a very hard working, dedicated young pro with a decent level of experience. He has height on his side for a FB but lacks pace and gets caught out. He has always worked far better with someone to provide protection in front of him, often in our set ups he has been isolated.

Personally, I see him as League One and certainly not promotion chasing Championship but then I thought Simon Francis was just about the worst player to pull on a shirt for us and was nicking a living. He is now Biurnemouth skipper and a mainstay in a successful PL team which shows what I (and most others on here who had /have a similar opinion) know.

I don't need a food critic to tell me when I'm eating a good steak
  • Options
    He has a good engine and a sweet left foot and has assisted a few goals this year. He is brave and blocks well. Not bad in the air. He is a decent defender but room to improve. Our problem is that we have had a succession of excellent left backs over the last decade or two, so Morgan does not compare well with the likes of Wiggins. He is more a dour defender than an attacker. Every game he plays he does both good and bad, so he is a mixed bag. I quite like him because you know what you are going to get. Wears his heart on is sleeve. Bless.
  • Options

I'm not exactly sure what his best position is supposed to be, but Chicksen is definitely not the answer at left back. I don't rate him at all and TBH I can see him quickly becoming even more of a scapegoat than fox.