Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Berlin lorry crash at xmas markets

Comments

• Options
    "Australian police thwart attack possibly planned for Christmas Day, arresting seven"

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/22/asia/australia-police-thwart-terrorist-attack/index.html?adkey=bn&sr=twcnni122316australia-police-thwart-terrorist-attack1212AMStoryLink&linkId=32691185

Just in case people think it's simply a European problem.
  • Options

"Australian police thwart attack possibly planned for Christmas Day, arresting seven"

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/22/asia/australia-police-thwart-terrorist-attack/index.html?adkey=bn&sr=twcnni122316australia-police-thwart-terrorist-attack1212AMStoryLink&linkId=32691185

Unique
  • Options

It is mainly though......the solution needs to be global.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

colthe3rd said:

It sounds as if the German authorities have massively fucked up here. Apparently he had been identified as a danger and was under surveillance. He was refused asylum yet allowed to stay temporarily. If this is the guy who did it they will have serious questions to answer.

I don't follow these procedures closely but I understand this is how the UK operates too. Failed applicants can appeal but are not detained, told to present themselves at a later date to find out the outcome of their appeal. A large percentage fail to make that date, simply disappearing.
    "A large percentage"? Do you know what proportion disappear? (I don't).
    50,000 between 2012 and 2014. With a further 175,000 waiting for removal.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-29/50-000-failed-asylum-seekers-have-gone-missing-in-the-uk-since-2012-report-finds/

• Options

Chizz said:

Just like to point out that the bloke was released because of insufficient evidence, not because he proved his innocence.

Just like to point out there's no need for anyone to "prove" their innocence.
    Okay, but you know what I mean
    No, I don't know what you mean.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I've told you what I think.

I think perhaps you aren't really thinking, just spouting nonsense.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Germany has similar laws to here (though probably not quite as crazy police-state-ish*) in that they can hold suspected terrorists without charge for a certain period. The fact they've released him pretty much immediately means they are all but certain he isn't the guy. But i_b_b_o_r_g thinks it is him, from a 1000 miles away with no access to witnesses, evidence, the crime scene or the suspect, so they should probably hold him for a bit longer.

Do you realise how crazy that sounds? What are you basing your thoughts on that the local police aren't seeing?

*Over the last few years the amount of time the police can hold a suspected terrorists without charging them of anything has steadily risen, can't remember if it's 30 or 45 days currently, but certainly long enough to completely ruin somebodies life without ever having to charge them of any crime, without ever having judicial oversight.

And you think it definitely ain't him from a 1000 miles away?
    No, but I trust the local police and special forces on the scene far more than somebody on a Charlton forum. As I said, they have various powers to hold the guy if they thought there was any possibility it was him. Even without special anti-terrorism powers they have the ability to ask a judge to allow them extra time to find evidence before charging the guy. The fact they've released him so quickly without (as far as we know) any attempts to keep him in custody longer would suggest they are certain the guy they actually want is still out there.

What your proposing is that the police should be able to hold people indefinitely when there is no evidence of any wrong-doing, that is an incredibly dangerous amount of power to give to the police and would inevitably lead to abuses of that power.
    When did I propose that then?
    When you suggested the German's were wrong to release him, despite the complete lack of evidence, because you think he probably did it. Or did you mean, rather non-intuitively, that you completed supported his release due to lack of evidence despite thinking he did it?
    No, I said that because they have released him, doesn't mean to say that he wasn't involved, it means that they didn't have enough evidence to hold him.

Then I said that, in my opinion, he probably was involved.

Now, you lot, are having kittens.
    Which shows your opinion, on this matter at least, isn't worth the paper it's written on.
  • Options

Mainly a European problem? You are kidding, right? Look at the number of deaths caused by terrorism world wide, have you heard of Iraq, Syria or Turkey?
    A sense of proportion always sadly lacking. Death from terrorism is dwarfed by deaths in conflict which in turn are dwarfed by homicides and then road deaths and then dirty water and insufficient nutrition. Bit like the people transfixed by Palestine but can't see across the map to Yemen or continuing mess in Afghanistan. Simplistic rhetoric appeals to many sadly, problem is they are then led by the nose by people that despise them as much as they need their votes. Until they take their votes away..................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mainly a European problem? You are kidding, right? Look at the number of deaths caused by terrorism world wide, have you heard of Iraq, Syria or Turkey?
    Or Yemen, or Nigeria, or Pakistan, or Afghanistan or Libya...

• Options
    I have read the Koran (English version). If you want to truly understand Islamic terrorism just pick up a copy for yourself.
  • Options
    Apparently the wanted man has been killed in a shootout in Milan this morning.
  • Options

I have read the Koran (English version). If you want to truly understand Islamic terrorism just pick up a copy for yourself.

I can't be bothered, fancy giving me the gist of it?
  • Options
    Go on the Italians!
  • Options
    Italian police saying he was killed in a shoot out with officers in Milan last night
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    colthe3rd said:

I can't be bothered, fancy giving me the gist of it?
    It is basically a book which shows the reader how to dominate others by fear/Terror / strict punishments. The most right wing ideology I have ever come across. Not a religious book in any sense of the word. It is Full of Hate for non- Believers/ Gays / Jews / Christians and oppressive towards women. Imho a very dangerous book and the antithesis of Values of Individual Freedom.
  • Options

Germany has similar laws to here (though probably not quite as crazy police-state-ish*) in that they can hold suspected terrorists without charge for a certain period. The fact they've released him pretty much immediately means they are all but certain he isn't the guy. But i_b_b_o_r_g thinks it is him, from a 1000 miles away with no access to witnesses, evidence, the crime scene or the suspect, so they should probably hold him for a bit longer.

Do you realise how crazy that sounds? What are you basing your thoughts on that the local police aren't seeing?

*Over the last few years the amount of time the police can hold a suspected terrorists without charging them of anything has steadily risen, can't remember if it's 30 or 45 days currently, but certainly long enough to completely ruin somebodies life without ever having to charge them of any crime, without ever having judicial oversight.

And you think it definitely ain't him from a 1000 miles away?
    No, but I trust the local police and special forces on the scene far more than somebody on a Charlton forum. As I said, they have various powers to hold the guy if they thought there was any possibility it was him. Even without special anti-terrorism powers they have the ability to ask a judge to allow them extra time to find evidence before charging the guy. The fact they've released him so quickly without (as far as we know) any attempts to keep him in custody longer would suggest they are certain the guy they actually want is still out there.

What your proposing is that the police should be able to hold people indefinitely when there is no evidence of any wrong-doing, that is an incredibly dangerous amount of power to give to the police and would inevitably lead to abuses of that power.
    When did I propose that then?
    When you suggested the German's were wrong to release him, despite the complete lack of evidence, because you think he probably did it. Or did you mean, rather non-intuitively, that you completed supported his release due to lack of evidence despite thinking he did it?
    No, I said that because they have released him, doesn't mean to say that he wasn't involved, it means that they didn't have enough evidence to hold him.

Then I said that, in my opinion, he probably was involved.

Now, you lot, are having kittens.
    Which shows your opinion, on this matter at least, isn't worth the paper it's written on.
    And your comment on his opinion isn't worth the time to read either it's just a blatant and pointless dig.
  • Options
    Just flashed across in Spain that the 'presumed' suspect has been killed in a shoot out with the pólice. No loss if that was the guy who killed twelve Christmas shoppers in Berlin - would have been handy to take him alive and get some info about his helpers, but to be honest, if that was him, it's nice to know he's gone.
    RIP his victims.
  • Options

Available in all good bookshops
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just flashed across in Spain that the 'presumed' suspect has been killed in a shoot out with the pólice. No loss if that was the guy who killed twelve Christmas shoppers in Berlin - would have been handy to take him alive and get some info about his helpers, but to be honest, if that was him, it's nice to know he's gone.
    RIP his victims.

this .. killed after a shootout near Milan
  • Options
    Chizz said:

colthe3rd said:

It sounds as if the German authorities have massively fucked up here. Apparently he had been identified as a danger and was under surveillance. He was refused asylum yet allowed to stay temporarily. If this is the guy who did it they will have serious questions to answer.

I don't follow these procedures closely but I understand this is how the UK operates too. Failed applicants can appeal but are not detained, told to present themselves at a later date to find out the outcome of their appeal. A large percentage fail to make that date, simply disappearing.
    "A large percentage"? Do you know what proportion disappear? (I don't).
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/12056660/Immigration-officers-give-up-hunting-10000-missing-asylum-seekers.html
  • Options
    edited December 2016

It really isn't a European issue, if you genuinely think that's the case, then you need to broaden where on get your news from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_linked_to_ISIL
  • Options

I know I agree it's crazy that you can buy it in bookshops. Sometimes we are too tolerant of Intolerance - if that makes sense !
  • Options

I know I agree it's crazy that you can buy it in bookshops. Sometimes we are too tolerant of Intolerance - if that makes sense !
    So you believe the Koran should be a proscribed publication?
  • Options
    Genuine question.

Throughout these attacks, an ID card or passport is found. Surely not right?
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Genuine question.

Throughout these attacks, an ID card or passport is found. Surely not right?

Apparently Found in the cab on the lorry after they released the inocent guy
  • Options
    shine166 said:

It really isn't a European issue, if you genuinely think that's the case, then you need to broaden where on get your news from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_linked_to_ISIL
    Any news would be a good start.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

So you believe the Koran should be a proscribed publication?
    No it shouldn't. But it should not be afforded a status above any other publication that preaches religious intolerance, racism, homophobia and child abuse simply because it is slavishly followed by 1.6 billion people and considered a 'World Religion'.