Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Berlin lorry crash at xmas markets

Comments

• 'Driver came to Germany in February as refugee from Pakistan'

The man suspected of driving the truck which killed nine people came from Pakistan to Germany on 16 February 2016 as a refugee, Welt (in German) reports sources as saying. But there is no independent confirmation of this claim.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/live160453735/Lkw-Fahrer-soll-als-Fluechtling-nach-Deutschland-gekommen-sein.html
  • Very Sad and RIP to all.

But I do wonder what precautions they took. Intelligence reports said Christmas markets were a target and in the U.K. Barriers were put up I believe to stop this.

But I do wonder what precautions they took. Intelligence reports said Christmas markets were a target and in the U.K. Barriers were put up I believe to stop this.

Northumbria Police were actually criticised by some members of the public for posting armed Police to a Christmas market.
    Wonder if those criticising, still feel the same now.
  • RIP

Strange that I had some daytime program on yesterday and part of it was about the Manchester Christmas Market, all I kept thinking to myself was it being hit by a terrorist attack. All those people in one place for the build up to a 'religious' celebration, it had terrorist attack written all over it.

Northumbria Police were actually criticised by some members of the public for posting armed Police to a Christmas market.
    Wonder if those criticising, still feel the same now.
    If they routinely armed the police in the UK, nobody would know any different. It would just be a couple of coppers at the Christmas Market
  • wont say too much on this cos not the time or the place have done christmas markets in germany last few years me and the mrs decided not to go to germany this year for the reason that it could get attacked, so decided to go edinburgh instead. rip to all those affected in the 3 attacks, like others have said most uk christmas markets have taken precautions security, barriers etc, its a shame in this day and age that this has to be the case.
  • edited December 2016
    The only thing we can do is carry on living our lives and stick two fingers up at these pathetic bastards. R.I.P. those poor innocents! What religion says you slay innocents?
  • which ones?
  • Sponsored links:

• Terrible.

RIP to the victims
  • which ones?

Pretty much all of them call for violence against others that, by today's standards, would be considered 'innocents'.

If you were arguing that faith doesn't call for these acts then I'd agree with you unreservedly. Religion, however, does.

There's plenty of evidence if you wish to search for religious texts from the many religions out there.
  • What religion says you slay innocents?

Quite a few of them to be honest.

which ones?

Islam... “…whosoever killeth a human being… it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind…

Christianity... Thou shall not kill

Sadly there are just too many nutters in the world these days but I find it best to completely stay away from religion as its a dangerous thing regardless of the faith
  • edited December 2016

which ones?

Pretty much all of them call for violence against others that, by today's standards, would be considered 'innocents'.

If you were arguing that faith doesn't call for these acts then I'd agree with you unreservedly. Religion, however, does.

There's plenty of evidence if you wish to search for religious texts from the many religions out there.
    You can find anything if you want to search texts - it is called fundamentalism. You can find things that aren't in there which justify female circumcision for example. But no religion calls for innocents and children to be murdered. I am not religious, but I believe that and respect those that are. I do think Muslims are in a difficult position where they have to defend their religion from these idiots in the same way Christians would need to if it was Christian fundamentalists. Whilst many have spoken out, I think they need to do more. These people are distorting their beliefs.
  • Do we have to go through all this again?

RIP those who were killed and my thoughts particularly go to those who instead of preparing for christmas are now preparing for bereavement and loss for the foreseeable future.
  • We don't. R,I.P, to those that were murdered.
  • We don't. R,I.P, to those that were murdered.

Why ?

RIP to the innocents who lost their lives.
  • Sponsored links:

Using a lorry is an easy way of getting through the barriers...
  • The vast majority of people are decent - we should never forget that.
    Tragedy for Germany which has a big problem to deal with - fundamentalist religion and extreme politics sadly feed off each other.
  • https://www.quora.com/Does-Christianity-ever-advocate-or-condone-killing-non-believers

The old testament literally says to stone until death those who worship other religions, I'm 100% positive the Koran says very similar things as well. Thou Shalt Not Kill is only valid for your fellow believers. As far as these holy books are concerned worshipping another god (or no god at all) is a mortal sin, therefore they aren't innocents and should be killed.

You can argue the new testament supersedes the old, but right wing Christians love to pick and choose old testament verses to support their prejudices, and Islamic Fundamentalists will pick and choose the parts of the Koran they want to as well.

In general Abrahamic religions are exceedingly xenophobic and have a broad "covert the heathens or kill them if they won't join the one true faith" theme running through them. The new testament does try to soften that message, but it's still there in the bible.

So please don't say no religion condones killing innocents when the two biggest religions in the world advocate exactly that be redefining innocents as evil.
  • Rest in peace to the poor people and my heart goes out to their families
  • Can we not do the religión good or bad thing on here. We've done it a few times on other threads.
  • Rob said:

Truly sad. The world is going nuts.

• Arrested the wrong bloke apparently
  • It appears the attacker is still at large. The police have got the wrong man.