Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Margate and financial woes

Apparently we have waived our right to 50% of the gate receipts for Wednesday night's match against Margate.

In the grand scheme of things that isn't a big deal of money to us yet for them it could make a lot of difference.

Nice work whoever decided to do it.

Comments

• Options
    I know from some people I know that there was animosity towards Margate last year because they were paying silly wages to certain players. It's a shame that some football clubs just don't learn in this day and age.

Given they had a few ex Charlton Boys last season I wish them well (Mambo and Jamie Stuart)
  • Options
    A huge difference ? Adults £12, Concessions £10, Kids £5.

I may be talking out of my $%&%, but would have thought total gate receipts wouldn't top £2500.
  • Options

A huge difference ? Adults £12, Concessions £10, Kids £5.

I may be talking out of my $%&%, but would have thought total gate receipts wouldn't top £2500.

Doesnt sound a bad amount of money for a Non-League side...
  • Options
    Whilst I hate to see any club in this position, they've only got themselves to blame. They gambled the last 2 seasons on promotion by signing a lot of players on silly wages for that level & it backfired.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I know from some people I know that there was animosity towards Margate last year because they were paying silly wages to certain players. It's a shame that some football clubs just don't learn in this day and age.

Given they had a few ex Charlton Boys last season I wish them well (Mambo and Jamie Stuart)

Steve Brown was appointed Assistant Manager at Margate a couple of weeks ago as well, I think.
  • Options
    It's a great gesture from Charlton.
  • Options
    I would imagine that the revenue split is net of costs for putting on the match. The Kent FA probably takes a cut too. A crowd of, say, 400 might generate about £3k net of VAT at those prices. I have no idea what it costs Margate to put on a game, but they'd have to pay the referee and other officials out of the receipts, as well as their own matchday staff, before dividing it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I would imagine that the revenue split is net of costs for putting on the match. The Kent FA probably takes a cut too. A crowd of, say, 400 might generate about £3k net of VAT at those prices. I have no idea what it costs Margate to put on a game, but they'd have to pay the referee and other officials out of the receipts, as well as their own matchday staff, before dividing it.

What's the cost of officials at both that level and league 1.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Swisdom said:

Steve Brown was appointed Assistant Manager at Margate a couple of weeks ago as well, I think.
    He was.
  • Options
    Not sure KM will be too happy with the Margate Chairman saying that we are having difficulties of our own.
  • Options
    If RD & KM hadn't pushed so many fans to stay away then there may have been a significantly higher CAFC attendance, which In turn would have benefitted Margate a lot more.

• Options
    Nice gesture. I believe Margate's offices and club house were broken into over the weekend as well - adding further problems to an already long list.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Nice gesture towards a club that may be out of business by the end of this month. However please remember that we are not generous when it comes to all Non League clubs, as Welling United found out this year when for the first time in memory we charged them a fee for playing us.

Hope they can hang on until the 2nd January.
    Welling have them home/away over Christmas/ New Year
  • Options
    Complete lack of ambition from KM... We should be putting that money towards a CM, it could be the difference between signing and not signing a player
  • Options
    Great gesture from the club . Credit where credit is due .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton did exactly the same with Phoenix in the previous round which was greatly received.
  • Options

Charlton did exactly the same with Phoenix in the previous round which was greatly received.

We didn't have a PR guru then though.

• Options
    Nug said:

Not sure KM will be too happy with the Margate Chairman saying that we are having difficulties of our own.

Cue an outpouring of claims CARD forced him to make that comment.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    mogodon said:

Nug said:

Cue an outpouring of claims CARD forced him to make that comment.
    Steve Brown - embittered ex-employee.

TBH I'm surprised if the club has been taking a share of the gate from any KST ties. They are tiny sums in Charlton terms. Would they really have billed Ramsgate, for example, an even smaller club than Margate?

[edit - now had it confirmed that it's a longstanding policy and not specific to this game. It applied last season, under Jimenez/Slater and earlier than that.]