Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Diet Journey.

With this time of year, most of you will be pigging out and then thinking towards diets come January.
I thought I would share my recent story on my weight loss, obviously you should always seek medical advice before trying to lose weight (which we never do!).

In August I decided I needed to change my habits and diet, I had been living in Dubai since May and has slowly let my weight creep up basically on a diet of Fast food. I was tipping the scales at 19 stone which wasn't the heaviest I had ever been but was not something I was enjoying.

I should say, I really hate exercise so I wanted a diet regime which could help me lose weight with little exercise. Now I have been on many diets in my time, but found them always difficult to maintain for more than a few weeks. I did some research and came across the Dukan Diet.

I wont bore you with the details, you can all google it, suffice to say it is a clean High protein, very low Carb diet, in which you can eat as much Protein as you like - Various stages to go through etc.

As I mentioned I have been on it since August and I have modified it slightly to my needs and as of this morning I am down to 15 stone. Within this time period I have had a few weeks travelling for business (lots of carbs and booze) the odd nights out (lots of booze) and the occasional bad days. but on the whole I try to stick to it and when I do have a bad day, I go back to the initial stage.

Health wise I have never felt better, before I had some slight niggles which have gone (not because of the weight loss, but the diet change), I have more energy and sleep better.

I have even managed to get to the gym, more for toning purposes than actual physical fitness.

I didn't put this on here to get congrats or compliments, I just thought it may help some lifers who struggle with diets and wanted to try something different.

BTW I haven't been 15 stone since I was about 20 and I am now 44!!

Comments

• Options
    Good for you.

Similar to you, although on a smaller scale I started Slimming World at the end of October. I had an aim on losing approx. 3 stone. I was 16 stone 9 when I started. I will have done 6 weeks tomorrow, and I'm lost just over a stone. So I'm very happy with that.

The best thing about slimming world is I'm never hungry. I eat a lot. I have just totally changed my eating habits and what I'm eating. It's also made me acutely aware of what's in foods.

Spending an hour with a group of middle aged women talking about their love of food, once a week, is quite entertaining too!
  • Options
    I can't get the hang of diets. I started one a few weeks ago when I was 15st 6lb now I'm 15st 11lb.
    Why can't someone invent a diet that allows you to drink each night
  • Options
    Dukan works very well for me as its mainly protein and you can eat as much as you like. I eat a lot of fish and meat. I just had large plate of sashimi and tonight I will have a nice big steak. the hard part for some people maybe the lack of fruit and possibly the lack of condiments (no Ketchup!). But I found it surprisingly easy, it was more the prep work and shopping that was harder.

The fact you don't need to watch how much you eat or count calories make it ideal for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Well done all.

A fortnight ago i lost 9lbs in just over 24hrs, but I wouldn't recommend Picolax or a colonoscopy to anyone !

I had a colonoscopy a dozen or so years ago and the laxative was the most painful thing ever , i was on the toilet chewing a towel and my insides were being torn out of me and it felt like i'd imagine broken glass and molten lava being poured out of me would be .

Well done all the dieters , I like to pile the pounds on as Christmas approaches , stretching the stomach so i can eat everything and then come January when kids back to school fruit smoothies no chocolate/cake/biscuits or bread and the first few pounds fall off and then after a couple of weeks the hard work sets in. Good luck all
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Arn't all these high protein diets just a re vamp of the largely discredited Atkins diet popular some years ago ?

Certainly effective for quick weight loss. I understand it's the diet of choice for celebs when they need to quickly shift a few pounds or more for various reasons but not a healthy long term alternative.

In fact I believe that no doctor would recommend a continued high protein low carb diet at all.
  • Options

Arn't all these high protein diets just a re vamp of the largely discredited Atkins diet popular some years ago ?

Certainly effective for quick weight loss. I understand it's the diet of choice for celebs when they need to quickly shift a few pounds or more for various reasons but not a healthy long term alternative.

In fact I believe that no doctor would recommend a continued high protein low carb diet at all.

Agreed, cutting much of carbs from the diet is fine (we all eat too much of it really), but the lack of fruit and especially veg in the diet doesn't sound healthy
  • Options
    Pah, i've just come back from McD's with a Breakfast Meal .
  • Options
    Do the second and third trips to the "All You Can Eat Buffet Bar" count as diet journeys?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I did the Dukan recently for about 2 weeks. It was okay but struggled with breakfast - what do you eat? Too many eggs and not enough options. I lost about 6 pounds though, all since back on. January soon be here where I can start again.
  • Options
    Well done ATU
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I did the Dukan recently for about 2 weeks. It was okay but struggled with breakfast - what do you eat? Too many eggs and not enough options. I lost about 6 pounds though, all since back on. January soon be here where I can start again.

I find Fage 0% fat yoghurt best. I like it plain or with some cinnamon (not the sugar variety) sprinkled on it. At weekends I eat scrambled eggs with smoked salmon or omelette.

Most of the time I dont eat breakfast in the weekdays anyway.

its more about eating non processed food. You do eat vegetables just not those high in sugars and carbs such as Carrots or potatoes.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

With this time of year, most of you will be pigging out and then thinking towards diets come January.
    I thought I would share my recent story on my weight loss, obviously you should always seek medical advice before trying to lose weight (which we never do!).

In August I decided I needed to change my habits and diet, I had been living in Dubai since May and has slowly let my weight creep up basically on a diet of Fast food. I was tipping the scales at 19 stone which wasn't the heaviest I had ever been but was not something I was enjoying.

I should say, I really hate exercise so I wanted a diet regime which could help me lose weight with little exercise. Now I have been on many diets in my time, but found them always difficult to maintain for more than a few weeks. I did some research and came across the Dukan Diet.

I wont bore you with the details, you can all google it, suffice to say it is a clean High protein, very low Carb diet, in which you can eat as much Protein as you like - Various stages to go through etc.

As I mentioned I have been on it since August and I have modified it slightly to my needs and as of this morning I am down to 15 stone. Within this time period I have had a few weeks travelling for business (lots of carbs and booze) the odd nights out (lots of booze) and the occasional bad days. but on the whole I try to stick to it and when I do have a bad day, I go back to the initial stage.

Health wise I have never felt better, before I had some slight niggles which have gone (not because of the weight loss, but the diet change), I have more energy and sleep better.

I have even managed to get to the gym, more for toning purposes than actual physical fitness.

I didn't put this on here to get congrats or compliments, I just thought it may help some lifers who struggle with diets and wanted to try something different.

BTW I haven't been 15 stone since I was about 20 and I am now 44!!

Whatever works, just make sure you can indulge in anything you fancy as if you can't willpower will begin to struggle and you will fail. I've seen it hundreds of times and twice on different diets myself.

Paleo was the best for me followed by Atkins, however I would not recommend these as they don't allow carb (or cheat) days and as such willpower only holds out so long.

It's about not over-eating and not necessarily what you're eating (within reason).

Aim for a healthy balance, in healthy portion sizes and you'll enjoy it so much more.
  • Options

this
  • Options

Well done all.

A fortnight ago i lost 9lbs in just over 24hrs, but I wouldn't recommend Picolax or a colonoscopy to anyone !

That happened to me too<(;-)>
  • Options

Well done all.

Touche. Had one on Saturday. Kings ?
  • Options
    Well done mate.

I stick to the lager diet, it's great.
  • Options
    No, London Bridge. Actual procedure was a stroll in the park compared to the prep. Hope you are all ok