Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    Missed It said:

Solidgone said:

It always worry‘s me when I hear about the audience participation. I don’t mind a couple of minutes but any longer I get pissed off. I think Thunder are a great band but they go overboard with the amount of audience participation: clap yer hands, stamp yer feet, sing this or that etc. If I wanted audience participation I’d go to a pantomime or to a Black Lace concert for Agadoo.

The singing along was fine, it was just for the big hits. Its twats who watch the whole gig through their phone while they're recording it that get on my nerves. Whats the point of that for the sake of blurred video with shitty sound that they'll only watch once
    I tend to find jumping up and down behind them/into them acts as a form of discouragement :smile:
  • Options

Missed It said:

Solidgone said:

It always worry‘s me when I hear about the audience participation. I don’t mind a couple of minutes but any longer I get pissed off. I think Thunder are a great band but they go overboard with the amount of audience participation: clap yer hands, stamp yer feet, sing this or that etc. If I wanted audience participation I’d go to a pantomime or to a Black Lace concert for Agadoo.

The singing along was fine, it was just for the big hits. Its twats who watch the whole gig through their phone while they're recording it that get on my nerves. Whats the point of that for the sake of blurred video with shitty sound that they'll only watch once
    I tend to find jumping up and down behind them/into them acts as a form of discouragement :smile:
    LOL.
    I thought you were about my age CE?

One lairy grandad.
    There's only one lairy grandad :wink:

• Options

fadgadget said:

I Was there too , I agree Midge Ure was excellent , I was saying to my mate that I have never been to a gig where the Support got such a great response , and to top it all a Brilliant set from the Human League .

100%

Last night's gig was easily the best attended of the previous ones.
    Great gig but again too many with phones out rather than being in the moment. Had hoped for a couple of Rich Kids numbers from Midge but stay great set
    Had forgotten Midge was in the Rich Kids.

I went to this gig too . Thought Midge Ure was terrific . Played guitar in Thin Lizzy as well at some point .

Human League also very good but what was it with that Eric Clapton number that they played?! Their back catalogue is strong enough without any need for that .

• Options
    Thunder christmas gig at The Roundhouse tomorrow. Still 1 of the best live bands in the country in my opinion. Can't wait!
  • Options
    Never been to a gig on NYE, so tonight’s a first. For some unknown reason, The Joy Formidable are playing tonight in Boston, kickoff 11pm.
  • Options

Never been to a gig on NYE, so tonight’s a first. For some unknown reason, The Joy Formidable are playing tonight in Boston, kickoff 11pm.

One of my favourite bands. I’d be interested to know about the show, @SomervilleAddick
  • Options

Only gig I recall going to on NYE was the Ramones at the Rainbow in 1977, subsequently released as double lp ‘It’s Alive’. Great show, boy did they motor through their songs!
    Met my sister after the show down in Trafalgar Square - I had the better evening!
  • Options

One of my favourite bands. I’d be interested to know about the show, @SomervilleAddick
    @thai malaysia addick - it was in a small room at a very large wine bar. They played an early acoustic set with a string quartet @7. I couldn’t get to that, but that was in the large concert hall at the same venue.

The billed this as friends and family and they weren’t far wrong. 100 people at most. No lines at the bar, so the set list is a bit vague. I remember it was good, I known they did the welsh thing off Aaarth, and they did Mau Mau. But the rest of the 90 minutes were songs. Ritzy was in top form talking to the crowd, and I do remember being impressed that she could fit the word “fucking” three times into a very short sentence.

Lot of fun. Hope they come back soon v
  • Options

@thai malaysia addick - it was in a small room at a very large wine bar. They played an early acoustic set with a string quartet @7. I couldn’t get to that, but that was in the large concert hall at the same venue.

The billed this as friends and family and they weren’t far wrong. 100 people at most. No lines at the bar, so the set list is a bit vague. I remember it was good, I known they did the welsh thing off Aaarth, and they did Mau Mau. But the rest of the 90 minutes were songs. Ritzy was in top form talking to the crowd, and I do remember being impressed that she could fit the word “fucking” three times into a very short sentence.

Lot of fun. Hope they come back soon v
    That sounds a real treat. I saw them recently at a small acoustic show. They are a great band and very willing to meet their fans. I asked Ritzy in the bar afterwards if I was their oldest fan. She replied “back home we get fans in fucking motor scooters queuing outside”.

I’ve got tickets for their London show in February. Not too long to wait.
  • Options
    Off to see Rival Sons at the Roundhouse on Wednesday - should be loud and entertaining.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing Chvrches at Ally Pally on Thursday, supported by the wonderfully named Let's Eat Grandma.
  • Options
    Anyone have any good ticket sources for sold out gigs? I really want a ticket for Jimmy Buffett at the London Palladium in September but it sold out before I even realised he was playing. Stubhub and Viagogo prices are ridiculous.
  • Options

Anyone have any good ticket sources for sold out gigs? I really want a ticket for Jimmy Buffett at the London Palladium in September but it sold out before I even realised he was playing. Stubhub and Viagogo prices are ridiculous.

You may be able to pick up a ticket nearer the time if a genuine fan can’t make it and just wants face value for it. Look on Facebook, Twitter or eBay.
  • Options

Have a look at Twickets. You can set up an alert so that you are notified of any tickets becoming available. It’s a ‘fans to fans’ so there are no rip offs.
  • Options

Seeing Chvrches at Ally Pally on Thursday, supported by the wonderfully named Let's Eat Grandma.

I’ve seen Chvrches a few times but l’ll be in Manila for this one. They’re not my sort of music particularly, but I do like them. Enjoy - not that I like the Ally Pally much.
  • Options

I’ve seen Chvrches a few times but l’ll be in Manila for this one. They’re not my sort of music particularly, but I do like them. Enjoy - not that I like the Ally Pally much.
    Me too, but I love Lauren's voice.
  • Options

If there's a Facebook event for the gig, check there nearer the time as fans often advertise spare tickets if someone can't go
  • Options
    Off to see Tears for Fears tomorrow suooorted by alison moyet.

Thursday oouble booked with tickets for the Streets at Brixton and the aforementioned ChVrches gig at Ally Paly.

Teach me. It to put the gigs in my calendar when I book them.
  • Options

Thursday oouble booked with tickets for the Streets at Brixton and the aforementioned ChVrches gig at Ally Paly.

So, it’s not just me that’s done that
  • Options

So, it’s not just me that’s done that
    Well I've double booked in as much as Chvrches clashed with Lyle Taylor & JFC at the Bromley meeting :-(.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pete Wylie at the Borderline a few weekends ago . Lots of tall stories and scouser gobbiness particularly about hanging out with Mick Jones and offering out Mike Tyson and occasional songs . Reminded me somewhat of Karl Robinson albeit holding a guitar .how the mighty ( Wah !) have fallen . Lots of backing tapes too and a bit karaoke like . Saw him at the Lyceum in 1984 when he was really on his game .

• Options
    ashley said:

Pete Wylie at the Borderline a few weekends ago . Lots of tall stories and scouser gobbiness particularly about hanging out with Mick Jones and offering out Mike Tyson and occasional songs . Reminded me somewhat of Karl Robinson albeit holding a guitar .how the mighty ( Wah !) have fallen . Lots of backing tapes too and a bit karaoke like . Saw him at the Lyceum in 1984 when he was really on his game .

Sounds like the Story of the Blues.
  • Options

Rival Sons at the Roundhouse last night was a brilliant gig - one of the best rock bands out there at present. Their new material went down well and there was a great atmosphere.

• Options
    Chvrches - brilliant. 
  • Options
    Didn’t go to ChVrches in the end, chose The Streets at Brixton Academy having stupidly double booked myself.

It was their end of tour gig and they were charged. 

The whole place was bouncing.

Made it it half way to the front and, having to work tomorrow early was a lot less on it than a lot of the crowd. A stormer. 
  • Options
    Alison Moyet and Tears for Fears also v good yesterday. Alison looks fantastic and ended with classics including Yazoo. Tears for Fears we’re properly on their game. 

Hate the O2 as a venue and this is one of the first bands I’ve seen make it work. 
  • Options
    Teenage Fanclub coming up in Vancouver - first time seeing them since Gerry left - going to be interesting to see how they fare without him.
  • Options
    Off to see the Kaiser Chiefs tonight at the winter gardens in Margate. Really like this place for music. 
  • Options
    Off to see the Kaiser Chiefs tonight at the winter gardens in Margate. Really like this place for music. 

They're great live mate.
  • Options
    Going to see the Wailers at Indigo 02 -  not sure if any original members will be there.