Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"why your browsing history could mean rip-off prices"

Read this article this morning

She reckons (and I have read this elsewhere) that - especially airline/travel websites - will start to jack up their prices if they recognise you as a previous visitor.

So I wondered what the more techie Lifers advise about how to get round this tactic. The three options seem to be:

- delete cookies
- use private/incognito browsing option
- if you have a VPN, switch "countries"

Is it all about your IP address? do all three options above disguise your IP address?

and if you log in your loyalty club membership number does that blow your cover?

Anyone had first hand experience of prices rising before their wondering eyes? Or getting lower prices after doing one of the above and going back to get a quote?

bastards! (them, not you :-) )

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2016
    It's true, been going on for at least a few years. I've tested it personally on many airline and holiday sites by doing a search and then doing the same search a very short time after. A lot of the time the price was hiked. You need to delete your internet cache history before doing another search. Don't know about linking with membership numbers though, never thought about that. But then you can usually do searches and go to checkout before having to sign in to a site so I suppose an answer is to not be logged into a site when searching.
  • Options
    Heard this when you looking at flights, definetely worth doing the advice above.
  • Options
    I agree. Chatlines and little blue pills are fecking extortionate!!!!
  • Options
    It'll be IP address. Which means proxy or VPN is the way to go. Of course you will then have to hope that whatever you use to mask your IP isn't going to harvest your information.

The best bet is...using a proxy or VPN when you're window-shopping. That way when you make your choice you can use the legitimate way to pay and it will register as your first visit.
  • Options

She reckons (and I have read this elsewhere) that - especially airline/travel websites - will start to jack up their prices if they recognise you as a previous visitor.

So I wondered what the more techie Lifers advise about how to get round this tactic. The three options seem to be:

- delete cookies

Is it all about your IP address? do all three options above disguise your IP address?

and if you log in your loyalty club membership number does that blow your cover?

Anyone had first hand experience of prices rising before their wondering eyes? Or getting lower prices after doing one of the above and going back to get a quote?

It's true with the airlines. Try to use different devices and / or clear your cache before booking.
  • Options
    Can we blame the regime for this?...bloody Roland! :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Have you tried 'phoning them and negotiating on prices?

Amazing the effect a 'is that the best price you can do?' has.

Virtually every organisation gives staff discounts. No skin off their nose if they make that available to Jo public if they get the sale.
  • Options
    Stupid question, what's cache and how do I delete it
  • Options
    Skyscanner and telegraph say not true.

Skyscanner a price is from the airline/holiday company direct so they do not even know who is requesting info.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Have you tried 'phoning them and negotiating on prices?

Amazing the effect a 'is that the best price you can do?' has.

Virtually every organisation gives staff discounts. No skin off their nose if they make that available to Jo public if they get the sale.

Interesting thought.

if you can get through quickly, maybe, bearing in mind the call may not be toll free. Have you actually done this successfully with an airline? Most companies like to claim that their best prices are on the web, because then they cut out the cost of their sales staff.
  • Options

- delete cookies

It's not a rumour it's true, I work in digital advertising because I'm a soulless evil bastard. I'd recommend you browse price comparison sites in incognito or at the very least delete your cookies.

We also use your search and purchasing history, from which we can determine, socio/economic class, willingness to spend etc to determine the sort of price you'll pay. For example, if you've searched for flights to France on google but not clicked on anything you'll still probably find a price rise on flights to France as it shows that you've been interested. However, data is expensive to store so most only bother keeping around 2 months worth up to a maximum of 6.

The same thing is done for anything on price comparison sites, from credit cards to cars. Our clients pay good money to look attractive on price comparison sites.
  • Options
    It's been going on for years and you can't really blame Web based arms of companies for it, as much as it hurts me to say that. They have got the info you have given them and are using it. Capitalist market at work I think

Trick is you need to know what you should be paying for a week at xyz all inclusive hotel in may so as not to get your pants pulled down. It's tricky but doable. Also cookies. Even this site uses them in its adverts which is the point I suppose. Although I don't know why the advert down the left is offering me knee high boots.....
  • Options
    I should probably add, it's all metadata, there's no personal information, the system builds a profile of likes and dislikes based on search history. It's impressive and rather scary how good it is.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Skyscanner a price is from the airline/holiday company direct so they do not even know who is requesting info.

Is Skyscanner like Kayak.? Aggregator, isn't that the term? yes, i did wonder about where they fit in this scenario.

What did the Telegraph say?
  • Options

I should probably add, it's all metadata, there's no personal information, the system builds a profile of likes and dislikes based on search history. It's impressive and rather scary how good it is.

Hmmm. So my IP address is not personal data?
  • Options
    @Just_Liera really instructive post, thanks.

So when you speak about "my" search and posting history, is it all based on the IP address? If so, and I set my VPN to, well, Belgium, have I eluded you?
  • Options

Not really - by searching for, posting or interacting with the internet in some way, you are providing the website with your IP. That's essentially all a cookie is, a record of what you've done on a website. With a website like google cookies can get very complex as you can add more and more searches to build a profile.
  • Options

Not really - by searching for, posting or interacting with the internet in some way, you are providing the website with your IP. That's essentially all a cookie is, a record of what you've done on a website. With a website like google cookies can get very complex as you can add more and more searches to build a profile.
    Just wondering about the legal definition? Appreciate that legislation lags a long way behind...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So when you speak about "my" search and posting history, is it all based on the IP address? If so, and I set my VPN to, well, Belgium, have I eluded you?

Rather than directly off of IP, it's off of cookies - (a combination of IP and a history of what you've done on a certain site). So just by browsing in incognito you should negate any significant price jumps. However, the majority also use demand to determine price so you have to factor that in too. e.g. a hotel website sees that 40 people are looking at their rooms, they only have 5 rooms so they set the website to automatically increase the price. That sort of stuff.
  • Options

The EU brought in quite a bit of legislation around cookies and their transparency about a year or two ago, hence why you now see websites talking about their cookies so much! Didn't really change anything to be honest but I guess it did add some transparency.

A more recent controversy in the ad world is Facebook, turns out they've been grossly overestimating their video metrics. Essentially we pay Facebook on a per view basis and they've been counting a "view" as 3 seconds without making it clear to us. So in turn our clients have been paying far more than they should've been!
  • Options

Just wondering about the legal definition? Appreciate that legislation lags a long way behind...
    The internet is still a bit wild west, the world is grappling with this issue. We're starting to see legislation but I don't think we'll work it out for a few years yet. In all honesty I'm not sure!
  • Options
    I've seen this happen. If I need to fly back to the U.K. , flights out of Boston are sparse and expensive, so I'll check out a bunch of different sites/routes. I've seen a flight go from $800 to $2000, and back to $800 the next day using a different device.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I've never noticed it personally. Been flying back and forth to the States the past two or three years now and my most recent ticket purchase was my cheapest yet.

I know that sounds a bit like saying "global warming isn't real, it was freezing cold yesterday" but it's just my personal experience that I haven't noticed flight prices go up the more I search in say a 48 hour period. I would expect them to increase week on week, regardless of my browsing history.

One thing I did notice with flights is that prices were (slightly) cheaper at off-peak times ie midweek rather than at the weekend.
  • Options
    Your Ip adress is just a like a phone number for data to be sent from your providers (sky, BT, virgin) server to your computer. All the providers are allocated blocks of Ip numbers. Most people have what is called a dynamic ip, it will change everytime you turn off your router, as there are not enough numbers in the world. You could have ten customers all visit the same website over the course of a month from just a single IP address.

The current format being 4 banks of 3 numbers less than 256. This is why we are switching from IPv4 format (192.168.1.254 for instance) to IPv6 (I leave you to look that up if you are really that interested!) at the moment.

If you have a security cam or are a gamer you may have requested a static IP address that does not change. So it'll be cookies, as only your provider and your network operator (BT/virgin) will know your definite Ip at any moment.
  • Options
    I was told to

A) always open / click on a few sights so they can see you are shopping around and
    B) stick something in your basket for a couple of days, the seller then gets jumpy and starts emailing you discounts as you have not actually bought.

Probably rubbish, haven't tried it but maybe worth trying?
  • Options
    @cabbles look see it's not only me....
  • Options
    You should also be aware that getting a firm quote can "block" that seat for a few minutes while you have a chance to complete your payment.

Airlines and train companies often offer the first few seats on a particular service at a ridiculously low price. But while a punter is looking at these seats, the offer will disappear. If no booking is actually made the cheap seats eventually become available again.

So if the prices suddenly seem to be shooting up , it's probably worth waiting a while and trying again. It may even be your own earlier visit that is still blocking the cheap seats!

In the days before Eurostar let you choose your seat, I used to make repeated requests for a train on different browsers until I got seats I Iiked. Sometimes I "blocked" dozens of seats before I got the ones I wanted. Occasionally the price would go up to the next tier and I would have to wait around twenty minutes for everything to clear.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Is Skyscanner like Kayak.? Aggregator, isn't that the term? yes, i did wonder about where they fit in this scenario.

What did the Telegraph say?
    struggling to to find the article now as went through from various pages rather than direct and on my phone, but they did some kind of test with multiple people on multiple terminals and there was not more than a couple of pounds difference whether they were cleared cookie machines or not.