Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradford v Charlton | Sat 10 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bradford City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 10th December 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Mark Haywood (West Yorkshire)

Introduction

After yet another break for cup duties; the Addicks return to action this Saturday in what will be Karl Robinson’s first league appearance as Charlton Manager… The start to his reign wasn’t the worst following a 0-0 draw in the FA Cup with old employers last weekend yet the fact remains, in a season that is long enough already and with the Play-Offs our only realistic target this season… Is progress in the FA Cup a pointless endeavour?

Regardless though our League form hasn’t been the worst of late… A late equaliser against Sheffield United in our last league outing kept up our run of only losing one league match per month yet as we enter an unbeaten December, where will our monthly loss occur this time round?

The Opponents
Name: Bradford City | Manager: Stuart McCall
Ground: Valley Parade

Continuing on from the introduction you’d certainly believe that defeat against Bradford is a distinct possibility, especially after their recent run of form which saw the Bantams lose twice in November. Despite that stat though the main fact remains that Bradford are unbeaten at Valley Parade this season so bringing three points home isn’t cut and dry against an opposition out of form.

In terms of our new Manager; Karl Robinson isn’t a man who has had much luck against Bradford… In the six years that Robinson was Manager of MK Dons he faced our weekend opponents on six occasions with only one meeting ending in his favour… Thank god we’re not the Dons.

Charlton Team News
The only notable news to come out of Robinson’s first line up was the fact that Ezri Konsa started at right back… That could see an immediate change after the academy graduate was substituted prior to Half-Time last Saturday with Kevin Foley the obvious replacement at Right-Back.

Dillon Phillips will surely remain the No.1 Goalkeeper for the time being after yet another Man of the Match display against the MK Dons whilst it remains to be seen whether Jorge Teixeira is back in favour after making an appearance from the bench on Saturday whilst El Hadji-Ba could return to the team after making an U23 appearance on Tuesday night.

Phillips
Foley | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Lookman | Crofts | Ulvestad | Botaka
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Beeney | Teixeira | Lennon | Jackson | Aribo | Hanlan | Novak

Prediction
After an impressive spell in Caretaker charge for Kevin Nugent (which also saw him nominated for Manager of the Month) it would be disappointing to see the Addicks suffering a lack of form yet that is certainly one of the challenges that Robinson currently faces… With the Bantams impressive at home it would seem a tough prospect for the Addicks to bring home three points whilst defeat against a Play-Off rival will surely undo the good work from November.

Referee Watch (Mark Haywood)
Once again with have to raise an eyebrow at our choice of Referee seeing that we visit Yorkshire this Saturday with a Referee from the same county… This won’t be Mark’s first Addicks match of the season though, this weekend comes after a very debatable role as referee for us earlier in the season against Gillingham.

Comments

• Options
    Anything by the corrs, bjork

Grease 1 & 2
  • Options
    Joking of course. 1-1 the spirit of Slade lives on as the ghost of xmas past this December
  • Options
    Can't wait be back on the 18.24 celebrating our 2-1 win
    Ave it
  • Options
    Ref from West Yorkshire. Game in West Yorkshire. Ref gave us two penalties in previous game...

We have no chance.

1.0 defeat (oppo penalty)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Agree about the choice of referee, which geographical genius makes these selections ?

I like @ForeverAddickted's mooted line up except I would bring in Tex for Pearce

Difficult game this .. the Bantams can be a rough lot, equally they can play decent football ..
    I have heard it said that manager McCall likes to call the players out and give them awful stick .. this goes down in the dressing room like a lead balloon according to my source (shhhhh) ..

Bradford had some relative success under Parky, the well known retired talk show host now selling dodgy insurance on the telly, but so far have not shone too brightly since his move to Notlob ..

I just don't know .. I'd be happy(ish) with a point and hope that Robinson does not try anything too exotic line up wise for his first league game .. Karl me ol mucka, just stick to 4 4 2, there's good chap

Bradford City 1 V CAFC 1 .. (another one&one I am afraid)

This makes interesting reading .. a mention for old heroes here as well as Mr McCall:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1330070.stm
  • Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I fear for us @ForeverAddickted if that midfield starts after it being played through with ease in the first half last Saturday. Given KR's penchant for a 4-2-3-1 formation I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson, if fit, start alongside Crofts in front of the back four, Lookman, Ulvested and Botaka in front of them and Magennis up top. Weather forecast is set fair, looking forward to the game and hoping for a point at least to keep my unbeaten away run going this season. COYRs.
  • Options
    My choice of subs: Beeney | Teixeira | Konsa | Jackson | Ba | Hanlan | Novak

After Ba played for the under 23's, assume he may be ready for bench if his mind is right and Konsa, if his head is right to replace Lennon, as KR preferred him on Saturday
  • Options
    how come this post is stuck at the bottom of the list ? .. has the actual football become a sideshow to the rest of what's happening .. or not happening ?
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bradford 2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    I've seen them a few times over the past year. Easily a better side than us. I'll take a draw.
  • Options
    would take a draw if offered a few pals heading up and stopping over night in leeds, bit too close to xmas for a priceyish weekend so giving this one a miss.
  • Options
    Ref West Yorkshire and Bradford is in West Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Got to be happy with a point away to one of the best sides in the division
  • Options
    I'd be very happy with a point in this one, and I think we'll nick one, 1-1.
  • Options

Ref West Yorkshire and Bradford is in West Yorkshire.

could also be a massive of;

Huddersfield.
    Leeds United.
    Halifax.
    Guiseley.
    Bradford Park Avenue.
    Frickley Athletic.
    Brighouse Town.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Ave it

Is @ElfsborgAddick on that train as well? If so, the misery will soon kick in. I'd say take plenty of beers but the greedy little toad will already finished them off.
  • Options
    2-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

clb74 said:

Ave it

Is @ElfsborgAddick on that train as well? If so, the misery will soon kick in. I'd say take plenty of beers but the greedy little toad will already finished them off.
    You can mention that to him tomorrow night.
  • Options

I'd be happy to get out of Bradford alive.

No Jacko, Solly, Rudd or Holmes.

I hope Tex gets a start whether at full back or centre half.

I'd drop Ajose to the bench and start with Magennis and Lookman up top

Would love to see Lookman given a run upfront. Think he would be more effective playing on the last man. He can also finish as his under 18/21 record shows.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Ave it

I've got his pocket money for Saturday
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Ave it

I've got his pocket money for Saturday
    You look old enough to be my father.
  • Options
    I can see this playing out two ways; tight game where we nick a point, or even all three, or Robinson goes to attack and we get taken apart. I assume he'll be keen to make an impression and that could be our downfall. 3-1 to Bradford.
  • Options
    Away to a team that's not lost on their turf, with a manager who some say likes 4-2-3-1, I can't seem him starting with Ajose and Big Mac up front.
  • Options
    As they've not lost at home, I'll got for a 3-1 win ... to the Addicks.
  • Options
    Want all out attack Saturday
  • Options
    Won 5 and drawn 5 at home, we'll win.