Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What would you do?

2 Teams at work, however, both served by one Business Analyst/Work Provider - lets call him Fred.
Both teams have monthly meetings to discuss/demo work provided and delivered that month.

This week, after the monthly demos, one of the other team - who is a good friend said that Fred had seriously dissed one of the people in our team saying he had fucked up in their monthly meet- someone who i know had done nothing wrong and had worked diligenty during that period to deliver what he thought was correct.
This has seriously pissed me off big time.

Now, i've let it be known that this has happened to select people but not to the person concerned - and the original 'informer' has subsequently said 'please dont let this out because i've got to work with him'

Needless to say, most people hate Fred - however, he has the ear of senior management.
I want to tell the person concerned, but dont want to upset the informer.

Comments

• Whatever Keohane sorry I mean Fred did was an honest mistake and he'll learn from it
  • Shit in his locker
  • You are El Presidente... Have Fred summarily tried, convicted by a one man jury (ie; you) and then taken out and shot the next morning!
  • Just let it ride. Unless it's impacting on your work directly then personally I don't think it's worth you getting involved in office politics etc. It very quickly descends into he said she said etc and can come back on you.

That's just how I'd deal with it

This is also definitely the right forum to ask re: business critical questions though, I learnt that first hand a few months back
  • Have a nice cold beer and wait for it to all blow over.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Just let it ride. Unless it's impacting on your work directly then personally I don't think it's worth you getting involved in office politics etc. It very quickly descends into he said she said etc and can come back on you.

That's just how I'd deal with it

This is also definitely the right forum to ask re: business critical questions though, I learnt that first hand a few months back

Sorry @Babbles, but that stinks...

:-)
  • I am not going to tell you how you should deal with it now. But I will suggest you think of it from a slightly different point of view.

Imagine yourself working for the same company a couple of years from now. Most of the original protagonists are still there. Your career hs progressed.

Now imagine yourself remembering this situation with Fred, the informant and the friend who under-performed. What do you think you would *like* to be able to say you did?

Is the situation so trivial that it will pass within a coupe of days? If you think it is, then it might be worth doing nothing at all.

Or, is the situation so dire, so mission-critical and so terminal that, without your intervention, it will become irretrievable? If that's the case, then you might decide that, friendship or the worries of your "grass" are of secondary importane and you have to talk to all of them.

The point I am trying to make is this: in your current situation and from the point of view you have on the issue and on your colleagues, it might seem impossible to correct. So you need to give yourself a different perspective. And the easiest way to do that is to imagine the situation from a different timeframe. I am pretty sure if you do that, you'll come to the conclusion that you can intervene and you will work out what to do. After all, over the next couple of years (or more) you will probably have to deal with many more situations at work that are a lot worse than this one.
  • Round up with B20 and pay Fred's parents a visit
  • edited December 2016
    The decision, as I see it from what you have said, is whether or not the seriousness of Fred's misdemeanour outweighs the risk of you yourself potentially losing trust and integrity by betraying a confidence.
  • Both teams wait round the corner after work and kick the shit out of Fred.
  • Kick arse. Severally and indiscriminately.
  • How about get Fred and one of his more senior team mates out for drinks.

After a few pints, ask how the last team meeting went and get the third guy to say about the concerns over your team member.

Then beat up Fred.
  • You must keep your friend's/informer's confidence
  • Tell Fred what you know and think, as he is your mate. Hopefully Fred having the ear of those above,will be able get them to defuse any ill feelings or any damage done.
    Alternatively do nothing, keep quiet and don't get involved in other arguments and office gossip.
  • edited December 2016
    Leave an anonymous envelope on Fred's desk, with a letter inside simply saying 'I KNOW' written in blood.

The problem will sort itself out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry, what's the question?

I'd leave it if I were you.
  • Is Fred an immigrant?
    In which case blame it on Brexit,
    If not, blame it on immigrants.

Simple.
  • Thanks Lucky, that's a very good post - and very much what I'm thinking right now.
  • Do what the rest of the SMT do, which will be ignore it and then deny all knowledge of it
  • What lucky said.
  • MrLargo said:

Speaking from the point of view of a public sector employee, I'd say probably best to do nothing, not really worry about it, possibly consider giving your CEO a pay rise whilst announcing a 5 year pay freeze for lower ranking staff, and then knock off early and see if you can get home in time for Deal or No Deal.

Yours bitterly
    M Largo

Just to clarify there, Mr Largo,I think what you mean is negotiate yourself a hefty golden handshake redundancy package with an early and massive retirement settlement and make sure just about the final thing you do before you leave is bring in a rule change to stop anyone else doing what you have just done.
    And then take consultancy opportunities because quite frankly, in retirement we could all do with an extra bob or two, couldn't we :neutral:
    That was known as Deal but No Deal (for Anyone Else)
    Shocking eh.
  • 3blokes said:

MrLargo said:

Speaking from the point of view of a public sector employee, I'd say probably best to do nothing, not really worry about it, possibly consider giving your CEO a pay rise whilst announcing a 5 year pay freeze for lower ranking staff, and then knock off early and see if you can get home in time for Deal or No Deal.

Yours bitterly
    M Largo

Just to clarify there, Mr Largo,I think what you mean is negotiate yourself a hefty golden handshake redundancy package with an early and massive retirement settlement and make sure just about the final thing you do before you leave is bring in a rule change to stop anyone else doing what you have just done.
    And then take consultancy opportunities because quite frankly, in retirement we could all do with an extra bob or two, couldn't we :neutral:
    Shocking eh.
    Ha ha, yes exactly that. Not saying where I work, but sounds like you could be in the same building as me!
  • MrLargo said:

3blokes said:

MrLargo said:

Yours bitterly
    M Largo

Shocking eh.
    Ha ha, yes exactly that. Not saying where I work, but sounds like you could be in the same building as me!
    Maybe not the same building, but how shall I put it, it was all part of a "learning" experience......
  • Slowly chip away at Fred over the course of several months, destroying his reputation, confidence and credibility. Spread derogatory rumors about his sexual prowess and interests. Ruin his marriage then sleep with his wife and send him a video. Drive him into the ground. Crush his soul.