Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best places to eat in SE London

Comments

• Options
    only ever visited cau in st kats dock that was after going to gaucho and thinking its not all that, am heading to hawksmoor borough next friday which im really looking forward to.
  • Options
    Con Gusto in Woolwich is a) great and b) emblematic of the gentrification that's destroying/reimagining the place
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If you like pasta there is Padella at London Bridge. Been there a few times now and the actual food is brilliant, agreed by everybody I have eaten there with.

Padella is great. Tipicetta, down the road by Borough station, might be even better! It has a truly wonderful gimmick too
  • Options
    Marios in Sidcup is a decent authentic Italian , lots of homemade pasta dishes
  • Options

clb74 said:

seth plum said:

Actually agree about the Caspian. Had a lot worse in my time. If you don't have the pizza in Luciano's the veggie ravioli is meh (certainly compared to Padella).
    Apparently there is an Italian in Penge, yes Penge, that has the second best pizza in the entire world!
    Anybody know anything about that?

Oi I grew up in penge
    I'd keep quiet about that if I were you......it's an f'ing dump!
    Your worse than the wife SoundAs
    She locks the car doors when we drive up to me nans at penge east station.
    And wouldn't look no further for property past the bridges at beckenham crem and beckenham tram stop.
  • Options

only ever visited cau in st kats dock that was after going to gaucho and thinking its not all that, am heading to hawksmoor borough next friday which im really looking forward to.

Agree that Gaucho is 10 times better than CAU. Never really felt the urge to go back to cau after a disappointing meal there one Sunday.

Another steakhouse worth a shout is omnino in leadenhall st.
  • Options

Agree that Gaucho is 10 times better than CAU. Never really felt the urge to go back to cau after a disappointing meal there one Sunday.

Another steakhouse worth a shout is omnino in leadenhall st.
    gaucho and cau are the same resaurants? aren't they one is just dearer than the other, if your after a steak the best i have ever had was goodmans was superb and was a lot better than gaucho, personally i go miller and carter once every couple of months and there steak is just as good as a lot of places and a good price.
  • Options
    Didn't think much of Cau at Blackheath at all when I went there about a year or so ago.

Tbh, not a fan of Gaucho either based on a one time visit to the one at the O2.
  • Options

Cau is ridiculously overpriced

Burger and (I think 'triple fried') chunky chips are pretty good I'd say. All about the sauce in the burgers and they come out 'medium' which I like. Quality of meat was certainly pretty good.

Not had a steak there. If I was going out for a steak in Blackheath I wouldn't look past Buenos Aires personally.
  • Options

Cau is ridiculously overpriced

Burger and (I think 'triple fried') chunky chips are pretty good I'd say. All about the sauce in the burgers and they come out 'medium' which I like. Quality of meat was certainly pretty good.

Not had a steak there. If I was going out for a steak in Blackheath I wouldn't look past Buenos Aires personally.
    Feck me, you must have good eyesight!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Caprini`s by Waterloo East station does a very good steak, and the house red is very nice.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If you like pasta there is Padella at London Bridge. Been there a few times now and the actual food is brilliant, agreed by everybody I have eaten there with.

Is it better than the non-existent food?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Sparrow in Lewisham is getting great reviews.

I ate there a few weeks ago. Food was excellent; mainly a sharing plate menu.

I would put it above most of the restaurants Blackheath offers.
  • Options

Went that exact Hawksmoor last Wednesday. Absolutely phenomenal. The Casa de Si Pablito Garnacha wine (red) is very very good but there's a huge markup (gonna defo buy a couple bottles for home drinking now), and we went for a huge porterhouse between three of us (a kilo's worth basically).

Price was, well, Hawksmoor, but absolutely banging nonetheless.

Also I'd like to put another shout in for Rox Burger in Lewisham. Easily up there as one of my top five ever culinary experiences and I am a big man who eats a lot.
  • Options
    Salisbury's fish n chip shop in Salisbury Road on Bromley Common. Absolutely second to none, always people in there waiting to get served.
  • Options

Salisbury's fish n chip shop in Salisbury Road on Bromley Common. Absolutely second to none, always people in there waiting to get served.

Bromley s in kent elfs
  • Options
    Remember Mazzies cafe on Tweedy Road bromley in the 90's ( not there anymore) used to love a big fry up in there.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Bromley s in kent elfs
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    We went to Nene Cafe & Bistro in Chislehurst yesterday afternoon, at the White Horse Hill end of the High Street.
    Perfect for a quiet, light lunch. Good food and great value for money.
  • Options
    Levante in Lewisham - nice Turkish food in a relaxed atmosphere
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    cafc999 said:

A bit like Lewisham......

Havet in Bromley is a great Turkish restaurant. A shame happy birthday gets bellowed out every ten minutes though.
  • Options
    Chapter one lunch time couple of weeks ago
    Very nice can't wait to retire good deals on the week.

cafc999 said:

Havet in Bromley is a great Turkish restaurant. A shame happy birthday gets bellowed out every ten minutes though.
    I find your better off going out when it's no ones birthday
  • Options
    clb74 said:

cafc999 said:

Good idea, I'll ask about that when I next make a booking.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

cafc999 said:

Chapter One is a great place ... going back there again next week.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

clb74 said:

cafc999 said:

They must be desperate for the punters if CLB74 is allowed in.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

clb74 said:

cafc999 said:

They must be desperate for the punters if CLB74 is allowed in.
    I had the right hump was for my wedding anniversary wife made me wear trousers.
    Went prima donnas in West wickham Saturday night again made to wear trousers got there brother in law in shorts.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

clb74 said:

cafc999 said:

Tuesday afternoon place was packed mind you I was one of the youngest in there at 43.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

stonemuse said:

clb74 said:

cafc999 said:

Tuesday afternoon place was packed mind you I was one of the youngest in there at 43.
    Gilf alert.
  • Options
    No SE London but up town.
    Went up town today for a slap up lunch with Mrs Plum.
    Anniversary of our wedding in 1993.
    Went to a place called the Worsley next to the Ritz.
    Mrs Plum said it was the best meal out she had ever had, sea bass and stuff, I had a veggie chickpea thing which was brilliant, dressed with what seemed to be barbequed slivers of cucumber or courgette.
    Starter was shared avocado in vinigrette.
    Pud was Worsley fruit crumble (it was rhubarb and berries) with either custard or ice cream.
    The environment was posh and entertaining, the service was brilliant, hugely pleasant all round (saw Ian McShane there, and other people who looked a bit familiar) I ordered us a glass of wine that would have been £8 a pop, but the manager gave them to us free because it was our anniversary.
    Gave them a tenner tip, and the bill with service charge was about £95 (no, not trying to show off!).
    The thing is, at an anniversary a few years ago we went for afternoon tea at Fortnum and Masons. Not only was the nosh four times better at the Worsley, it was cheaper than F&M afternoon tea for two.
    If you're looking for a place to have a treat on a special occasion I would recommend it, good vegetarian selection.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

No SE London but up town.
    Went up town today for a slap up lunch with Mrs Plum.
    Anniversary of our wedding in 1993.
    Went to a place called the Worsley next to the Ritz.
    Mrs Plum said it was the best meal out she had ever had, sea bass and stuff, I had a veggie chickpea thing which was brilliant, dressed with what seemed to be barbequed slivers of cucumber or courgette.
    Starter was shared avocado in vinigrette.
    Pud was Worsley fruit crumble (it was rhubarb and berries) with either custard or ice cream.
    The environment was posh and entertaining, the service was brilliant, hugely pleasant all round (saw Ian McShane there, and other people who looked a bit familiar) I ordered us a glass of wine that would have been £8 a pop, but the manager gave them to us free because it was our anniversary.
    Gave them a tenner tip, and the bill with service charge was about £95 (no, not trying to show off!).
    The thing is, at an anniversary a few years ago we went for afternoon tea at Fortnum and Masons. Not only was the nosh four times better at the Worsley, it was cheaper than F&M afternoon tea for two.
    If you're looking for a place to have a treat on a special occasion I would recommend it, good vegetarian selection.

Jeremy King and Chris Corbin own it.

The same chaps as originally owned The Ivy to name just one other of theirs.

I knew Jeremy through rugby briefly, way back before he became famous, and such a gesture as you describe sounds typical of the man I remember.