Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best places to eat in SE London

Comments

• Why does this thread keep disappearing?
  • Last time I had Khan's was probably around 2004-2005, no real loss at all, to be honest you could probably lose any restaurant in the village without it being a real loss, all of the restaurants there are much of a muchness of mediocrity
  • Huskaris said:

Last time I had Khan's was probably around 2004-2005, no real loss at all, to be honest you could probably lose any restaurant in the village without it being a real loss, all of the restaurants there are much of a muchness of mediocrity

The roast duck in Cafe Rouge is pretty good, don't mind Zero Degrees, we only go up there occasionally as the mother in law lives in Lewisham and there aren't to many places down there that any good.
  • We went to stucchinis in Bexleyheath might have spelled incorrectly but was very good.
  • Well I for one would miss Buenos Aires in Blackheath. Was back there yesterday. Superb! Mediocre? I don't think so. Locale is also another firm favourite and would be missed.
  • Buenos Aries in blackheath is great if you get a table upstairs, while the food is still great downstairs it's a bit dingy. Never been to the offshoot in Greenwich.
  • Curb_It said:

Well I for one would miss Buenos Aires in Blackheath. Was back there yesterday. Superb! Mediocre? I don't think so. Locale is also another firm favourite and would be missed.

Often wondered what Locale was like, but never tried it, tend to stick to Cafe Rouge, Strada or Zero Degrees....good to keep the mother in law happy.
  • Huskaris said:

Last time I had Khan's was probably around 2004-2005, no real loss at all, to be honest you could probably lose any restaurant in the village without it being a real loss, all of the restaurants there are much of a muchness of mediocrity

The roast duck in Cafe Rouge is pretty good, don't mind Zero Degrees, we only go up there occasionally as the mother in law lives in Lewisham and there aren't to many places down there that any good.
    @Hastingsaddick, it's been mentioned on here before, give the Italian in the one-way system at Catford a go - http://www.lapizzaitalia.com/ - nice food and very reasonably priced.
  • Huskaris said:

@Hastingsaddick, it's been mentioned on here before, give the Italian in the one-way system at Catford a go - http://www.lapizzaitalia.com/ - nice food and very reasonably priced.
    Thank's might give it ago when we go up next time.
  • Eating at home - pizzageddon
  • Sponsored links:

• Eating at home - pizzageddon

Atom bomb in your oven. Dead impressed.

PS Now you know the value of a pizza stone.
  • Curb_It said:

Well I for one would miss Buenos Aires in Blackheath. Was back there yesterday. Superb! Mediocre? I don't think so. Locale is also another firm favourite and would be missed.

Buenos Aires would definitely be my choice of all the restaurants in Blackheath. Locale funnily enough would be my last choice!
  • Chapters, Blackheath has closed it's doors.

I also saw in the same tweet that Locale may be closing, so maybe others thought the same as you Huskaris.
    I think its a shame for Blackheath if true.
  • Although I just read The Ivy will take over Chapters' spot.
  • Recently moved back to SE London. Pleasantly surprised to find Luciano's on Lee Road doing fantastic wood fired pizzas. Haven't been to the main restaurant on Burnt Ash Hill yet. And I have passed Cau in Blackheath which I am reliably informed is run by the same people as the Gaucho chain. I look forward to going there if that is the case. Can anyone here corroborate the quality of the steak there?
  • Curb_It said:

Chapters, Blackheath has closed it's doors.

I also saw in the same tweet that Locale may be closing, so maybe others thought the same as you Huskaris.
    I think its a shame for Blackheath if true.

Crap, really enjoy both restaurants
  • Last couple of times I've been in Cau the food had been a bit disappointing, 18 months ago it was a lot better
  • If you like pasta there is Padella at London Bridge. Been there a few times now and the actual food is brilliant, agreed by everybody I have eaten there with.
  • Recently moved back to SE London. Pleasantly surprised to find Luciano's on Lee Road doing fantastic wood fired pizzas. Haven't been to the main restaurant on Burnt Ash Hill yet. And I have passed Cau in Blackheath which I am reliably informed is run by the same people as the Gaucho chain. I look forward to going there if that is the case. Can anyone here corroborate the quality of the steak there?

Should definitely visit the main Luciano's, and Cabrera steakhouse next door. There's also an Iranian restaurant called The Caspian on the same parade that's not bad.
  • edited August 2017

Recently moved back to SE London. Pleasantly surprised to find Luciano's on Lee Road doing fantastic wood fired pizzas. Haven't been to the main restaurant on Burnt Ash Hill yet. And I have passed Cau in Blackheath which I am reliably informed is run by the same people as the Gaucho chain. I look forward to going there if that is the case. Can anyone here corroborate the quality of the steak there?

My understanding is that Luciano's is owned by Luciano Massiello formerly of this parish c 1969/70
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually agree about the Caspian. Had a lot worse in my time. If you don't have the pizza in Luciano's the veggie ravioli is meh (certainly compared to Padella).
    Apparently there is an Italian in Penge, yes Penge, that has the second best pizza in the entire world!
    Anybody know anything about that?
  • seth plum said:

Actually agree about the Caspian. Had a lot worse in my time. If you don't have the pizza in Luciano's the veggie ravioli is meh (certainly compared to Padella).
    Apparently there is an Italian in Penge, yes Penge, that has the second best pizza in the entire world!

Oi I grew up in penge
  • Still growing up In Bromley 30 years later
  • edited August 2017
    LenGlover said:

Recently moved back to SE London. Pleasantly surprised to find Luciano's on Lee Road doing fantastic wood fired pizzas. Haven't been to the main restaurant on Burnt Ash Hill yet. And I have passed Cau in Blackheath which I am reliably informed is run by the same people as the Gaucho chain. I look forward to going there if that is the case. Can anyone here corroborate the quality of the steak there?

My understanding is that Luciano's is owned by Luciano Massiello formerly of this parish c 1969/70
    That is true Len, although I'm not sure how involved he is in the day to day running these days, think that might have been passed down to his sons. He was involved in organising a CAFC Vets match against an Italian side not too long ago and they were publicising it on the restaurant's Twitter account.

No Charlton memorabilia inside but some good newspaper cuttings on the wall from Napoli winning the league and Italy winning World Cup '82.
  • Sparrow in Lewisham is getting great reviews.
  • Eight pages in I still prefer to be taken up the OXO tower by my wife :wink:
  • I hated Cau in B'heath...The decor made me think of a Moscow, soviet era, restaurant trying to do 'western cool' and ending up somewhere in the 80s (and doing that badly). The food was 'meh' and - suffice to say - I will never be going back.... Buenos Aires probably still my favourite, although can be expensive... I went to the one in Greenwich for the first time on Sat evening...didn't realise that they had a whole area out the back that was a really decent spot to eat in...no change out of 80 quid tho for two...mains only, but with a bottle of wine....
  • Cau is ridiculously overpriced
  • clb74 said:

seth plum said:

Actually agree about the Caspian. Had a lot worse in my time. If you don't have the pizza in Luciano's the veggie ravioli is meh (certainly compared to Padella).

Oi I grew up in penge
    I'd keep quiet about that if I were you......it's an f'ing dump!