Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best places to eat in SE London

Comments

• Half the places being suggested here aren't in SE London.

Peckham has some fantastic restaurants now

Mr Bao (Taiwanese)
    Bahn Bahn (Vietnamese)
    Ms Tapas (Spanish)
    ForzaWin (Italian)

are all great
  • Lucianos in Lee.

For a proper fry up, maggies in lewisham.

SEL is crying out for more decent places to eat.
    Greenwich, in particular has so little to offer considering how popular it is.

I suppose that comes down to opinion of what decent is an if there is a market to support the type of restaurants you would like. True it's not every going to be like Charlotte Street or Soho. But I don't think it is quite as bad as the Evening Standard would have it. Above are a lot of places people consider good/decent.

I like your Maggies but match day it has to be the York cafe in Charlton for me.
  • Primma Donna in West Wickham.
  • Lucianos in Lee.

My Mum and Dad went down there last weekend, and apparently Dietmar Bruck was in with Peter Hunt (I think it was, they're both before my time)
  • shirty5 said:

Kebab Ye

Which one?
  • Off_it said:

shirty5 said:

Kebab Ye

Which one?
    If it's the one in the takeaway high-street that is Welling then give Gulen Ocakbasi a try. Opposite and very decent. Take away but also offers sit down restaurant as well. People there are always very friendly.
  • Baltic - 74 Blackfriars Road SE1

Failing that......anywhere in Blackheath. Then the 'bus to the ground. (Or a long walk).
  • Pierluigis - Beckenham
  • FORD said:

Off_it said:

shirty5 said:

Kebab Ye

Which one?
    If it's the one in the takeaway high-street that is Welling then give Gulen Ocakbasi a try. Opposite and very decent. Take away but also offers sit down restaurant as well. People there are always very friendly.
    Gulen is Much more traditional Turkish and cooked on Coals

I like both Kebab ye and Gulen
    Staple Saturday night Takeaway but Gulen to avoid the queues as Kebab ye is normally packed.
  • Lucianos in Lee.

I suppose that comes down to opinion of what decent is an if there is a market to support the type of restaurants you would like. True it's not every going to be like Charlotte Street or Soho. But I don't think it is quite as bad as the Evening Standard would have it. Above are a lot of places people consider good/decent.

I like your Maggies but match day it has to be the York cafe in Charlton for me.
    True indeed.
    Also, I'd never want Greenwich to mimic soho in that sense.
    I think that's what is so likeable about SE10.

Does that hideous old goat, grace dent, still provide restaurant reviews for the sub?
    If so, it just underlines how poor the publication really is.
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:

Lucianos in Lee.

My Mum and Dad went down there last weekend, and apparently Dietmar Bruck was in with Peter Hunt (I think it was, they're both before my time)
    I think I read somewhere ( CL No doubt) that The Luciano himself once played for Charlton.
    I did notice some Charlton and Napoli memorabilia in there last time I went.
  • edited December 2016

aliwibble said:

Lucianos in Lee.

I think I read somewhere ( CL No doubt) that The Luciano himself once played for Charlton.
    I did notice some Charlton and Napoli memorabilia in there last time I went.
    Yes, he had one or two games....last I heard he was running the Former Players Association.
  • Luciano Marciello (sp) went to St. Austins. Never made it at The Valley.
  • He played 10-15 games for us and although he owns the restaurant (and bar and soon to be opened steak house), his sons look after them I think. There is some Charlton memorabilia on the walls.

• aliwibble said:

Lucianos in Lee.

Bruck was our first German defender c1970 and Peter Hunt was a midfielder contemporary of Hales, Flanagan and Colin Powell who should probably be on the underrated thread if he isn't already
  • Blue Nile Cafe in Woolwich. Eritrean food

Very different but very tasty and very reasonably priced

http://www.bluenilecafe.co.uk/
  • Someone didn't read the threeead
  • Agree with a lot, especially the Blackheath shouts.

Goddards (Pie & Mash) - Greenwich
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenwich is much better for cafes than restaurants. Haunts of mine (well, mine and Charlton Aesthetic's) include Al Pancino, the Green Cafe and the Picturehouse cafe. All three do excellent food.

Probably my favourite place to eat in Greenwich is the Greenwich Union pub, whose food is wonderful and whose beer is probably the best selection in SE London (especially if, like me, you enjoy weird lambics and other Belgian goodies)
  • Gotta say @Leuth that I can't agree with the endorsement of Zero Degrees for beer...too similar to Meantime for my liking, but not as good! If you're a fan of pizza's, then please do try Reginella on Woolwich Rd...Italian family run and much better than Bianco's (I've not had a pizza from Zero Degrees for about 15 years, so can't comment on them...). Re: the Greenwich Union, try the Vanburgh Tavern and the Hare and Billet for the best selection of beers in the locality (although, I don't think they are so hot on the lambics and sours...)

Ziabatsu just along from the Hardy/Green Pea at Maze Hill...also was top of London's TripAdvisor ratings for a long while...cash only, bring your own booze, excellent 'asian fusion'....highly recommended and a proper 'local secret..'
  • "Best place to eat in SE London"

************ in Sidcup
    ************ in Bromley
    ************ in Bexley

lol you wannabes crack me up

Isn't Bexley a borough of London and in the south east?
  • Lucianos in Lee.

Where is that please?
  • Rox burger Lee high road
  • stonemuse said:

"Best place to eat in SE London"

************ in Sidcup
    ************ in Bromley
    ************ in Bexley

lol you wannabes crack me up

Isn't Bexley a borough of London and in the south east?
    North Kent
  • Re: Luciano Masiello. According to Colin Cameron's excellent 'The Valiant 500: Luciano played 8 times for the club between 1969 and 1971 scoring 1 goal. In 1990 he was running a cafe at London Bridge.
  • Incidentally in his short career at Charlton (69-71) Luciano 'played' under three managers. Nothing new these days.
  • Jolpai - curry house in Mottingham.

A little gem!
  • Jolpai - curry house in Mottingham.

A little gem!

Kent borders, give you that