Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best places to eat in SE London

Comments

• Havet in Bromley do some cracking Turkish scoff. Very reasonably priced as well.
  • seth plum said:

No SE London but up town.
    Went up town today for a slap up lunch with Mrs Plum.
    Anniversary of our wedding in 1993.
    Went to a place called the Worsley next to the Ritz.
    Mrs Plum said it was the best meal out she had ever had, sea bass and stuff, I had a veggie chickpea thing which was brilliant, dressed with what seemed to be barbequed slivers of cucumber or courgette.
    Starter was shared avocado in vinigrette.
    Pud was Worsley fruit crumble (it was rhubarb and berries) with either custard or ice cream.
    The environment was posh and entertaining, the service was brilliant, hugely pleasant all round (saw Ian McShane there, and other people who looked a bit familiar) I ordered us a glass of wine that would have been £8 a pop, but the manager gave them to us free because it was our anniversary.
    Gave them a tenner tip, and the bill with service charge was about £95 (no, not trying to show off!).
    The thing is, at an anniversary a few years ago we went for afternoon tea at Fortnum and Masons. Not only was the nosh four times better at the Worsley, it was cheaper than F&M afternoon tea for two.
    If you're looking for a place to have a treat on a special occasion I would recommend it, good vegetarian selection.

Not one for picking up typos, but in case others are thinking of checking it out on the strength of your review, I think its the Wolseley rather than the Worsley

• Jints said:

seth plum said:

Mrs Plum said it was the best meal out she had ever had, sea bass and stuff, I had a veggie chickpea thing which was brilliant, dressed with what seemed to be barbequed slivers of cucumber or courgette.
    Pud was Worsley fruit crumble (it was rhubarb and berries) with either custard or ice cream.
    The environment was posh and entertaining, the service was brilliant, hugely pleasant all round (saw Ian McShane there, and other people who looked a bit familiar) I ordered us a glass of wine that would have been £8 a pop, but the manager gave them to us free because it was our anniversary.
    Gave them a tenner tip, and the bill with service charge was about £95 (no, not trying to show off!).
    The thing is, at an anniversary a few years ago we went for afternoon tea at Fortnum and Masons. Not only was the nosh four times better at the Worsley, it was cheaper than F&M afternoon tea for two.
    If you're looking for a place to have a treat on a special occasion I would recommend it, good vegetarian selection.

Not one for picking up typos, but in case others are thinking of checking it out on the strength of your review, I think its the Wolseley rather than the Worsley

To think that Seth posts regularly on trip advisor.
  • Went to a Chinese restaurant in Deptford yesterday for mother's day called Sanxia Renjia. It was excellent, and reasonably priced. I'll leave you to read Jay Rayner's review because he puts it better than I can.
  • Jints said:

seth plum said:

Fair point
  • The word nosh makes me laugh
  • clb74 said:

The word nosh makes me laugh

Why?
  • clb74 said:

The word nosh makes me laugh

Why?
    Dirty Boy !
  • gaucho/cau set to dissappear as they have just collapsed.

personally think gaucho is overpriced and not v good if you want a nice steak head to goodmans - the best steak i have ever eaten.

personally think gaucho is overpriced and not v good if you want a nice steak head to goodmans - the best steak i have ever eaten.

I think meat is losing popularity so a chain such as Gauchos and a lot of the Burger chains were destined to struggle. Agree that Gauchos is expensive.
  • Sponsored links:

I think meat is losing popularity so a chain such as Gauchos and a lot of the Burger chains were destined to struggle. Agree that Gauchos is expensive.
    Meat will NEVER lose its popularity, don’t you worry!
  • There is a Turkish supermarket opposite Catford Bus Station.....built on the front is a super little restaurant.
    Great food all cooked and prepared on the premises using produce from the shop.......and very reasonably priced too. They also bake all manner of bread and pastries on the premises.
    Can’t remember the name but maybe someone else knows it.
  • Turkuaz? Went there once but not too impressed - prefer Havet in Bromley.
  • Fumbluff said:

Are the belly dancers in the bakery/cafe section or the supermarket?
    Asking for a friend...

They're in the restaurant mate. Yet to see them take a turn on the supermarket checkouts unfortunately.
  • MrLargo said:

Fumbluff said:

Are the belly dancers in the bakery/cafe section or the supermarket?
    Asking for a friend...

They're in the restaurant mate. Yet to see them take a turn on the supermarket checkouts unfortunately.
    Thanks, there you go @Covered End and @Leuth - tread carefully
  • shirty5 said:
    Morley's
    Amazingly, the fish and chip shop on Charlton Church Lane has now become a Morley's.

A proper Morley's at that, not "Mr Fansatic Monley's" either.
  • Went to Legends on Eltham high st just before lockdown. Superb lunch, excellent service.
    Recommended.
  • Golden Chippy on Greenwich High Road remains my favourite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to Legends on Eltham high st just before lockdown. Superb lunch, excellent service.
    Recommended.
    Is this the big new place with an upstairs?
  • PopIcon said:
    Went to Legends on Eltham high st just before lockdown. Superb lunch, excellent service.
    Recommended.
    No, a couple of doors down from WH Smith.
  • PopIcon said:
    Went to Legends on Eltham high st just before lockdown. Superb lunch, excellent service.
    Recommended.
    Used to be the Italian place?
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Recommended.

• shirty5 said:
    Morley's
    Amazingly, the fish and chip shop on Charlton Church Lane has now become a Morley's.

A proper Morley's at that, not "Mr Fansatic Monley's" either.
    I've only ever had KFC.
    How does Morley's compare?
  • Think the new place you are talking about is Rox (Turkish meze).Have eaten in there many times and love the food in there. 
  • Think the new place you are talking about is Rox (Turkish meze).Have eaten in there many times and love the food in there. 
    Yes, I went in there last day before lockdown. Took one look at the prices on the menu and left. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Think the new place you are talking about is Rox (Turkish meze).Have eaten in there many times and love the food in there. 
    Yes, I went in there last day before lockdown. Took one look at the prices on the menu and left. 
    You should try Ziyafet just up the road from there. The place isn’t much to look at, but the food is great. The prices are very reasonable.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Recommended.

Was Mellins for years.

PopIcon said:
    Think the new place you are talking about is Rox (Turkish meze).Have eaten in there many times and love the food in there. 
    You should try Ziyafet just up the road from there. The place isn’t much to look at, but the food is great. The prices are very reasonable.
    Agree. 
    Rox seems to want to market itself as the place to be with cocktails, late night music bar etc whereas ziyafet is no more than a licensed  cafe but IMO does better food.

• PopIcon said:
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it ago. I also like Lale.