Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Apple Watch

I'm thinking of asking Santa for one.

What are they like?

Positives & negatives please.

Ps. I'm very aware some people think Apple anything is a waste of money but I'm just genuinely interested to see what people who have one think.

Comments

• Options
    You can set an app on your watch to remind you to charge your phone every night
  • Options
    Fuji are my favourite but I'm quite partial to Pink Lady also.
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be about the latest Packham/Strachan programme. It's a bit lower budget that their previous offerings.
  • Options
    I like it. Have used it for directions while out walking, geocaching, football scores, keeping an eye on pulse. It reminds me to stand up every hour if I'm busy at work, flashes up text messages and news headlines.

I wouldn't say it's revolutionised my life but it's a good looking and multifunctional watch so I'm delighted with it - though try to avoid taking calls on it because you just look weird talking to your watch
  • Options
    You've gone and done it now.

All I can think about is Kate Humble.

I'll probably lie awake all night tossing and, on reflection, the least said about that the better.....
  • Options
    I'm watching this one.....

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I like it. Have used it for directions while out walking, geocaching, football scores, keeping an eye on pulse. It reminds me to stand up every hour if I'm busy at work, flashes up text messages and news headlines.

I wouldn't say it's revolutionised my life but it's a good looking and multifunctional watch so I'm delighted with it - though try to avoid taking calls on it because you just look weird talking to your watch

Is there anything you can recommend apps wise? my just got one for his birthday.
  • Options
    Kills your phone battery
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Your phone can do most of that though can't it?

I'm not anti-Apple by any means and have an iphone, a Macbook at work and a macbook air at home but i don't see what advantages the watch really brings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Swisdom said:

I'm not anti-Apple by any means and have an iphone, a Macbook at work and a macbook air at home but i don't see what advantages the watch really brings.
    I've not got a smart watch of any persuasion but I can see how looking at your wrist for that information can be more convenient than getting a 'phone out of your pocket.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Swisdom said:

I wouldn't worry too much about monitoring your pulse.

If it stops you will soon know about it (or not)
  • Options
    I had one this time last year and ended selling it. After the initial 'this is cool factor, I used it less and less.

It does effect the phone battery. i think the watch is more geared up for runners and fitness fanatics.

Chap at work got the new edition couple of months back and has sold it already, he is an avid runner. He just said he preferred using the phone.

The one thing I did like was being able to change music tracks with it when the phone was out of reach, whilst using a speaker.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

I've not got a smart watch of any persuasion but I can see how looking at your wrist for that information can be more convenient than getting a 'phone out of your pocket.
    Perhaps he's a naturist?
  • Options
    Not a fan if being honest. I used it for exercise but there's better and cheaper available out there for that. Apps are fairly limited and for a period of about three months after deciding not to use it, I kept getting random vibrations on my wrist. It's a product for products sake.

It also attracts a lot of unwanted attention from tech geeks, gym bunnies and in one case, an absolute nutter. Not particularly cool when you've just run 5k and you're trying to have a quiet asthma attack in a dark corner.
  • Options
    can't beat a Jazz from M & S
  • Options

can't beat a Jizz in M & S

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a Series 2, really like it, look at my phone less now then I did before, and the exercise tracking is really good.

Still a bit on the bluky side, but battery is decent, apps good and if you need a good exercise watch, its a good investment.
  • Options
    any good for tracking your lengths when swimming?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'd say it's good if you're the kind of person who would wear a Fitbit anyway. It does basically nothing that your phone doesn't already do though, except heart-rate... so it's not going to change your life but it is a fairly cool little gadget.

Got it through my health insurance, so was a fair bit cheaper (would recommend to anyone else with Vitality).

Positive:
    - Whatsapps/FB messages flashing up on wrist is most useful for me, as I'm constantly opening threads that I don't need to reply to, so now just glance instead
    - Apple Pay for stuff on the watch is handy (including public transport)
    - Does actually make me more active because I need to collect these weird 'active points' so that I don't have to pay any more for it
    - Someone calls you when you're following Google maps... take it on the watch (getting tenuous now... but it has happened a few times because I'm always running late and people ring me)

Negative:
    - Because you need Bluetooth on for it - it drains my iPhone 6 battery, which is already a twice-a-day charging job, so it's now basically a landline
    - Tells me to 'breathe' occasionally, which has nearly made it to the "Things that generally annoy you" thread
    - Can do very little unless paired to your phone
    - Mega expensive for what it is [for fitness stuff, Garmin etc. apparently loads better in same price range[
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Got a Series 2, really like it, look at my phone less now then I did before, and the exercise tracking is really good.

Still a bit on the bluky side, but battery is decent, apps good and if you need a good exercise watch, its a good investment.

Enough about you, how's the watch?
  • Options
    I just, as a matter of interest, speced up a 42mm series 2, stainless case and bracelet. A pound short of £1000. You can buy a real watch for that. Even a one with a perpetual movement or a one with a battery in it that will tell the time and all sorts of things. I like my iPhone and iPad and even my Apple TV has a bit of usefulness but this "watch " doesn't do anything for me. Probably not aimed at people like me anyway.
    I know that it has a lot of technology in it that has to be bought but it certainly isn't a looker. Back in the 1970's, (school boy Christmas present from my parents),I had a Texas Instruments watch that wasn't to far removed from that, for the want of a better word, design. I think that watch cost my parents about £50, which 40 years ago was probably roughly half my dads weekly wage maybe a bit more or less. I wouldn't pay the same ratio for an Apple Watch.

• Options
    cafc999 said:

Kills your phone battery

Fuck me, my 6s drains rapidly and dies at 45%... that thing needs no help in draining its battery
  • Options
    I've always enjoyed a Royal Gala but my fathers staunch republican views mean I have to keep it a secret.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

cafc999 said:

Kills your phone battery

Fuck me, my 6s drains rapidly and dies at 45%... that thing needs no help in draining its battery
    I think there's a problem with the 6S. They've been hanging out free battery replacements here. You might want to check that.
  • Options
    watches on stun ... beam me up Scotty
  • Options

shine166 said:

cafc999 said:

Kills your phone battery

I think there's a problem with the 6S. They've been hanging out free battery replacements here. You might want to check that.
    Correct.....

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/