Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Many Football Managers Has Roland Sacked?

Just wondered where Charlton sat in the pecking order of Rolands footballing empire, and how many managers Roland has sacked at his other clubs?

Surely the penny will drop with him at some point , that football might not be his bag.

Comments

• Options
    Is this a sweepstake type thing?! I'll go for a total across all clubs of 29.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Is this a sweepstake type thing?! I'll go for a total across all clubs of 29.

I've no idea of the answer Cants, it just made me wonder if perhaps the amount of Managers we've burned through is par for the course across the network, and just something we're not used to in England.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm sure someone more bored than me can work it out.. I remember reading something about him sacking a manager at standard for seemingly no reason and then reinstating Riga. So I suggest it's probably his way of doing things.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Is it 24? Take the average of the guesses and it's likely to be the answer.

That would be a very interesting stat to push out in to the media. A league table for Roland's clubs and updated everytime one is chopped.

Sure one of those pesky scallywag CARD actors could tell us.
  • Options
    More to the point his sacking of managers is likely to cost Roly in compensation more than Marco Boogers cost West Ham - and he played just 4 games in 3 years.

But the similarity doesn't end there. This is from his Wiki's entry:

Redknapp would later criticise Boogers in an interview, labelling him a poor player. He also claimed that he never saw Boogers play and that he contracted him on a whim based on a videotape where he appeared to be a world class player. Boogers himself disputed this and claimed scouts from West Ham United attended several of his matches with Sparta before signing him.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's not just the managers but also the backroom staff, those not sacked but go via attrition and the total clear-out of players that happens every summer.
  • Options

SMT in action
  • Options
    I think you'll find that every sacking has been the right decision
  • Options
    14* - Sint Truiden
    7 - Standard
    7 - Charlton
    4 - Alcorcon
    1 - Carl Zeiss Jena

*In 2006 Eddy Raeymaekers & Belgium Peter Voets were joint managers and therefore I have counted them as one dismissal.

I can't be certain that all of these have been sackings, however this is the total number of managers/head coaches under Roland during he tenure as Chairman at each club (not including the incumbent manager/head coach at clubs where he is still chairman).

I haven't included Upjest as his son is Chairman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vivant apparently translates as ‘for individual freedom and labour in a new future’. Not sure about the freedom bit, but he certainly points his staff to a new future as they rock through the revolving door.
  • Options

14* - Sint Truiden
    7 - Standard
    7 - Charlton
    4 - Alcorcon
    1 - Carl Zeiss Jena

*In 2006 Eddy Raeymaekers & Belgium Peter Voets were joint managers and therefore I have counted them as one dismissal.

I can't be certain that all of these have been sackings, however this is the total number of managers/head coaches under Roland during he tenure as Chairman at each club (not including the incumbent manager/head coach at clubs where he is still chairman).

I haven't included Upjest as his son is Chairman.

That's really interesting, and quite insightful considering this a man who prides himself on financial stability; you would've thought that kind of sensible and professional outlook would permeate through his approach to all aspects of running a club.

The Guardian reported in May that the average tenure of a football manager in English football was 1.31 years, 15.72 months, and this is the lowest it's been for a number of years. Now if we apply a bit of maths to our own predicament, we can see that since Jan 2014 (i.e 35 months), we've been averaging a manager every 5 months.

Sadly, if his time at Standard Liege is anything to go by - and that was 7 managers between June 2011 and June 2015 (48 months), or an average tenure of 5 months per manager - then Roland simply doesn't do consistency or stability.

I'm not entirely sure how long Roland has been involved with Sint Truiden, but if that count of 14 includes the time he didn't "own" it (i.e officially it was his wife - 2011-2015) then we know that it was since at least 2011. So a minimum of an average of 4.2 months per manager, but most likely a fair bit higher on average, as presumably he owned the club for a number of years prior to selling it to his wife?