Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aldi, Lidl and The big four.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Love Aldi, and for all you hipsters out there they have just started selling quite a large range of craft beers including a delicious lager for £1.25 for a 33cl can.
  • Options
    Love Aldi, and for all you hipsters out there they have just started selling quite a large range of craft beers including a delicious lager for £1.25 for a 33cl can.
    Their wine selection is pretty good as well.
  • Options
    Roll on M&S doing home food deliveries.
    We live a 5 min drive from the M&S at Nugent Park so we tend to pop in 2-3 times a week.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Roll on M&S doing home food deliveries.
    We live a 5 min drive from the M&S at Nugent Park so we tend to pop in 2-3 times a week.
    its going to be done by ocado who have gone down hill according to this thread
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    We use Tesco ...great selection and always lots of deals. Don't like Morrisons much although they have a good bakery counter. Asda is a mess, never use it any more. Lidl's always has a lot of good fish/shellfish at Xmas time. Never tried Aldi. Have used Ocado a few times and always very good quality.
    Ocado have been awful for the last few weeks. Preferred them to others due to the fact they hardly ever had substitutions even if they were a bit dearer. 

Subs have started creeping up, they failed to deliver all the fridge items we ordered a couple of weeks ago and no frozen items with tonight’s delivery.

Anyone recommend alternatives? As I said, I’d rather pay a bit more as long as you actually get what you order.
    morrisons on line shopping is spot on mate, biggest cock up on a order we have had with them is they doubled up on 40% of our shopping a couple of weeks ago and didnt charge for it. 
    Cheers mate, will give them a go.
  • Options
    Their wine selection is pretty good as well.

Sure is, some great Aussie, Chilean and New Zealand reds and whites especially.
  • Options
    I have popped in to look at their wine recently and bought some to try out.  Very happy with their NZ SB's.  Even the five quid one.  Bargain!
  • Options
    I normally get a selecton of their ales at around £1.25 per 500ml bottle and got some on Sunday but I only noticed this new batch as they were by the till. Quicky grabbed a couple  (cant remember their names - retro Pale Ale maybe) and they were both quite nice.

• Options
    we've now gone back to having a Milkman, seems to be very popular once again

My wife keeps going on about getting a milkman, which I think is strange given that she's lactose intolerant.
    Well, if you're going to spend all your time studying your 'special interest' videos ......  you can't really blame her for having a special interest in the milkman. :smirk:

• Options
    Recent convert to Aldi from Waitrose. Still at the stage of laughing with disbelief at the prices. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am an absolute fecking Snob purely being from a working class background and aspiring to be able to shop at waitrose et Al. My wife on the other hand is a no nonsense value for money shopper.  As a result I now shop in Lidl and Aldi where possible. As much as I try to convince her, the fresh food. Aldi and Lidl are much better, and the staple food is much cheaper.  I don't need a pressure washer every week, but nice to know it's there if needed or a chainsaw or two. 

Get over the snobbishness as just save the money for wine and cheese parties with your neighbours. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    We use Tesco ...great selection and always lots of deals. Don't like Morrisons much although they have a good bakery counter. Asda is a mess, never use it any more. Lidl's always has a lot of good fish/shellfish at Xmas time. Never tried Aldi. Have used Ocado a few times and always very good quality.
    Ocado have been awful for the last few weeks. Preferred them to others due to the fact they hardly ever had substitutions even if they were a bit dearer. 

Subs have started creeping up, they failed to deliver all the fridge items we ordered a couple of weeks ago and no frozen items with tonight’s delivery.

Anyone recommend alternatives? As I said, I’d rather pay a bit more as long as you actually get what you order.
    morrisons on line shopping is spot on mate, biggest cock up on a order we have had with them is they doubled up on 40% of our shopping a couple of weeks ago and didnt charge for it. 
    Cheers mate, will give them a go.
    We’ve been doing Morrison’s last six months and have no complaints. Never had a problem and very rarely have had to have any subs 
  • Options
    Usually try and do the majority of the shopping in Aldi, so much cheaper and the quality is still very good. Would always try and shop there first as I know I’m likely to pay a good amount more by doing the same shop at any of the other big four. Morrison’s is alright and very good for some things particularly, but overall you can still see the price difference is so huge with no or little quality difference. Most of the time it’s actually better in Aldi, depending on what you want or need.

Morrison’s delivery/online service is actually run by Ocado, so it’s surprising to see how Ocado aren’t doing as well in some people’s opinion but Morrison’s delivery is. When it is in fact the same company doing it, just different vans etc.
  • Options
    love a bit of Lidl....always come home with something unnecessary from the middle isles 
  • Options
    Don't think i could ever get my head around food shopping on line.
    Like to physically look at what I am purchasing.
    As for Aldi and Lidl, my word, there are some proper bin dippers on here.

• Options
    Don't think i could ever get my head around food shopping on line.
    Like to physically look at what I am purchasing.
    As for Aldi and Lidl, my word, there are some proper bin dippers on here.

yeah, sometimes there is one bottle of ketchup that just catches your eye...
  • Options
    The one with a balsamic vinaigrette twist.