Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Which Karius howler are they talking about... the pass to Benzema or the one he let through his fingers?

Seaman that was a joke as like in the 2002 World Cup couldnt deal with a high ball which is embarrassing as a Goalkeeper

i.e. the 2002 World Cup and Rob Green one against United States are in a way worse than any of those because they're in less pressured games than a Final
    Looking at the photo the one he hit straight off Benzema
  • Pretty much every video clip I’ve seen of Charltons players celebrating has had Dillon leading the proceedings. We’ve heard just how close knit this group are and you have to say that Dillon must be a very big part of the dressing room spirit. Not only is he a very good player he must be a real asset in the dressing room. Good lad.
  • He put his hands up for the howler despite Naby being at least as much at fault. Was honest and humble enough to say he was the luckiest man on earth but never put a foot wrong after the error. Big balls and has been immense this season when he could easily have gone off in a strop when Steer came in. Good lad and now very definitely charlton’s number one. He’ll be stronger for the experience. 
  • He put his hands up for the howler despite Naby being at least as much at fault. Was honest and humble enough to say he was the luckiest man on earth but never put a foot wrong after the error. Big balls and has been immense this season when he could easily have gone off in a strop when Steer came in. Good lad and now very definitely charlton’s number one. He’ll be stronger for the experience. 
    Not a great backpass from Naby but ultimately Dillon was at fault - didn't let it rattle him.
  • We’ve all dropped a bollock before. He seems an honest guy and a great team player. And on top of that he’s a good goalie. 

• Half a dozen similar back passes in the championship play off game. Not Naby's fault at all. 

Philips was just hit by the perfect storm of complacency from having played regularly for three months and nerves from a big game at Wembley. 

Maybe the coaching staff should have warned him to concentrate more on simple things for the first fifteen minutes?

Agree that his performance afterwards was exemplary.
    No chance is Naby as much at fault. A poor pass but 999 times out of 1000 Phillips comfortable controls that. 

What I thought was huge is that Phillip had the chance to make a very good save not too long after. I think that would really have helped him. If we had controlled possession for 20 minutes and he hadn't have touched the ball then he would have just stood stewing on the mistake. But making that save would have snapped him out of it and made him realise he still had a job to do. It was also good that none of the players were afraid to pass it back to him. Absolutely no doubt he will be stronger for it, all experiences are learning experiences. 

Pleased it didn't come back to haunt us. Neither Phillips or Sarr deserved the season to end with that after the way they have performed. 
  • when the going gets tough, the tough get etc etc .. the fuck up didn't phase him at all .. a few minutes later a possible match winning save from Leadbetter .. the rest of the game?  like nothing untoward had happened .. a huge%age of being good at anything is having supreme confidence and Phillips now has that in spades
  • Going to be on SkySportsNews at 6am by the looks of things

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    I think it is hard to put a figure on it, but it was definitely mostly Dillon's fault. I actually think it helped us, because Sunderland were a team last season that always prioritised holding what they had. It cost them a massive amount of points and it was a decent bet they would do it again.  
  • Agree but “mostly” doesn’t come even close
  • I make it 20% Sarr - far too hard and not under pressure so shouldn't have been going in and 80% Phillips. Not focused enough and pass back was still easy to stop going in if he was. 
  • I make it 20% Sarr - far too hard and not under pressure so shouldn't have been going in and 80% Phillips. Not focused enough and pass back was still easy to stop going in if he was. 
    “Not focussed” when the ball is in play at any point is 100% gk fault. Not focusing when the ball is in your own half makes it even worse. The fact is it was a massive gk howler and 20% blame to the defender is a ludicrous suggestion.
  • 100% the fault of Dillon - I doubt he'd say any different. 
    I’m going to have to disagree with you there. It was 19% down to Sarr and 81% Phillips. 
    I ran it through the Cray Supercomputer, and it was 5.673% down to Sarr and 94.327% down to Phillips
  • Sponsored links:

• cs1986 said:

I still love Cattermole's reaction to this goal. His team has just gone 1-0 up in a Play-Off Final and his immediate reaction is horror to see a goal like that go in. It's just nice to see a player shocked for a fellow pro rather than happy to have scored in the moment.  
    I felt utterly sick when the ball went in - very hard for it to sink in.
  • The reaction of the crowd is the same.
  • cs1986 said:

I still love Cattermole's reaction to this goal. His team has just gone 1-0 up in a Play-Off Final and his immediate reaction is horror to see a goal like that go in. It's just nice to see a player shocked for a fellow pro rather than happy to have scored in the moment.  
    Anyone looking at Cattermole in that picture would have thought that his team were the ones conceding the goal!
    Exactly. The fans behind the goal are Charlton fans, and most of them are in the exact same pose as Cattermole. In fact, Cattermole's reaction is basically the same as Lloris' and he's the one who just made the mistake and conceded in a World Cup final
  • edited July 2019
    You could make a case that it was 100% Sarr's fault, because had he passed back more softly away from the goal it wouldn't have happened (which was what defenders are taught to do when they can i.e. not under pressure) and 100% Dillion's fault because it was still easy to save. Arguing over the percentages is a bit pointless.
  • I was just sat there thinking what the fck has just happened. I was in shock, total and utter shock. 

That was such a great day! 
  • I do wonder what the long term psychological impact on Dillon would have been if we hadn't won? He seems a strong character but confidence can be fragile.

• You could make a case that it was 100% Sarr's fault, because had he passed back more softly away from the goal it wouldn't have happened and 100% Dillion's fault because it was still easy to save. Arguing over the percentages is a bit pointless.
    Perhaps percentages are pointless but if there is any, and personally I think it minuscule the fault of the defender then percentages seems a logical way to apportion blame. 
  • You could make a case that it was 100% Sarr's fault, because had he passed back more softly away from the goal it wouldn't have happened and 100% Dillion's fault because it was still easy to save. Arguing over the percentages is a bit pointless.
    Perhaps percentages are pointless but if there is any, and personally I think it minuscule the fault of the defender then percentages seems a logical way to apportion blame. 
    Every professional goalkeeper would own it as mistake - it wasn't a great backpass but that doesn't excuse it ending up in the back of the net.

It was a mistake and a loss of concentration - I'm sure Dillon will have learnt from it. A horrible moment for him.