Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Corners, freekicks and crosses

Wtf do our team do in training? Corners and crosses in particular are wasted time and time again. Lookman's delivery from corners is shocking.

Comments

• Couldn't agree more.
  • when practicing defending set pieces do we get a contractor in to take them?
  • To say they were piss poor is doing piss an injustice.
  • It's been a major problem of ours for way too long now. Final ball is 9 times out of 10,a joke. The 2nd half today was a prime example,we saw plenty of the ball down the flanks but there wasn't one decent cross. So frustrating.
  • Go and watch charlton women, every corner, most crosses and free kicks do what they are supposed to, they could teach the men a thing or two.
  • I find it astonishing that the players practice all week kicking a ball and yet at a set piece can't seem to get it past the first defender.
  • Agreed, no idea why Lookman takes any set pieces, other than a shot on goal.

Jackson's corners aren't bad, Chicksen put in a decent free kick last week for the equaliser
  • edited December 2016
    Need Chrissy Onions back from STVV sharpish, he could take a mean corner....

Seriously though I'd rather we had a philosophy and stuck to it. Too often we are in a dangerous crossing position and we either can't beat the first man or we play a quick free kick. If we are going down the quick option we need it drilled into the players that passing it back 10 yards and thumping it nowhere/rolling it back to the keeper is not an option. Fox may be erratic with his overall crossing but I'd stick him on them at the moment, at least he can hit them beyond the near post
  • and why do we have players taking corners, who surely would be better off in the box.

Are we just copying England, when Kane was taking them, that didn't work either!
  • Agree it's diabolical for professionals to be this poor at corners, free kicks and crosses.

But, as for, corners we have been poor for a long time...years and years.

It used to be we'd score once a season from a corner. If that. To be honest, even in the premier league years I can't recall too many. The odd Svensson header or Johanssen volley.

With free kicks, over the seasons we've been gifted with the occassional wizard who could create a magical moment, but few and far between.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016
    Watch WBA. 7 goals from corners this season. Pulis knows how to do it.
  • edited December 2016

Which is an incredible statistic, as on average, most teams will only score 4-6 goals a season directly from a corner.

Of course there are certain teams who have these type of set pieces as their strength so score a lot more, and other who have it as their weakness, as we did a couple seasons ago, conceding from a corner almost every 3 games.

The fact is, these type of statistics are out there for managers and coaches to look and use to their advantage. I find it astonishing that they don't think of clever ways of taking set pieces. I remember Bournemouth having loads of success from different, inventive routines rather than just hoping to get it past the first man.

As a undergraduate sports scientist who is also a football coach, I know that there's plenty of data available to be used to gain an advantage on such things. Unfortunately, I just don't think in this country we have enough people in the game who know how to use it to benefit their team.
  • You can add throw-ins to the list. For years Charlton seem to have lost possession from their own throws. Magennis seems to have a decent long throw, though most would prefer to see him as the target man rather than the thrower.
  • Sage said:

Which is an incredible statistic, as on average, most teams will only score 4-6 goals a season directly from a corner.

Of course there are certain teams who have these type of set pieces as their strength so score a lot more, and other who have it as their weakness, as we did a couple seasons ago, conceding from a corner almost every 3 games.

The fact is, these type of statistics are out there for managers and coaches to look and use to their advantage. I find it astonishing that they don't think of clever ways of taking set pieces. I remember Bournemouth having loads of success from different, inventive routines rather than just hoping to get it past the first man.

As a undergraduate sports scientist who is also a football coach, I know that there's plenty of data available to be used to gain an advantage on such things. Unfortunately, I just don't think in this country we have enough people in the game who know how to use it to benefit their team.
    Most teams score 4-6 goals from a corner. That statistic must have increased in The Championship last season when Charlton seemed to concede from a corner in most matches!

• Whatever happens, stop Lookman taking corners and free kicks (unless the free kicks are on the edge of the box and direct). He would be far better employed hovering around the box for some scraps he can put away.
  • You can add throw-ins to the list. For years Charlton seem to have lost possession from their own throws. Magennis seems to have a decent long throw, though most would prefer to see him as the target man rather than the thrower.

Magennis needs to throw the ball so high that it give him time to run into the box and win the first header!
  • Could be worse, was 1-0 down on Saturday - came bursting out of goal for a corner in injury-time and my moment of glory. Dickhead only played it short and ref blew full-time, didn't he.
  • Never know why we don't try the tactic at corners that worked so well back in the 70 and 80s. Corner would be hit towards bloke at the near post (usually Jimmy Giles or Les Berry) who would flick it on for someone to run onto and head home. If the ball was delivered properly and a good flick on was achieved it was pretty much undefendable.

Or is football so much more "sophisticated" these days that it wouldn't work?
  • I went to Ajax v Gronigen yesterday and saw one of the worst defended corners I've ever seen for Ajax's first goal, Charlton would have been proud !

At the start of this video:

http://eachgoal.com/2016/12/ajax-vs-fc-groningen-2-0-highlights/
  • Don't know why the full backs don't take inswinging corners from their respective sides. Neither has the pace to defend a breakaway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed, no idea why Lookman takes any set pieces, other than a shot on goal.

Jackson's corners aren't bad, Chicksen put in a decent free kick last week for the equaliser

Robinson deemed neither fit for selection - which is interesting
  • edited December 2016

Let's hope Mr Robinson has already seen for himself how generally poor our set pieces are.

If not, could somebody mention it when they next meet him at a petrol station?