Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v MK Dons | Sat Dec 3 | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes Dons
Saturday 3rd December 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
FA Cup Second Round

Introduction

It was remarkable when Charlton were drawn against the “hardest” team in the FA Cup First Round that we advanced to the second round, but advance we did courtesy of the Ademola Lookman show who entered the fray from the bench, scored twice and thus sent Scunthorpe out of the competition for another year.

Now following our hard fought draw against Sheffield United we see the League campaign taking a break as the FA Cup second round returns as Karl Robinson our new Manager takes charge for the first time against his former employers: Milton Keynes Dons for a shot at the third round and a shot at the big teams.

The Opposition
Name: Milton Keynes Dons | Caretaker Manager: Richie Barker
Division: League One

Once again when the FA Cup is drawn you always hope to end up facing a club not in your Division yet once again the Addicks find themselves facing regular opposition. Unlike Scunthorpe though we’ve yet to face the Dons this season (that fixture coming on Boxing Day) so our opponents remain a mystery… With Robbie Neilson set to take over from Hearts it’ll remain interesting to see which of the two sides has the new Manager bounce whilst even more intriguing; the Dons could be managed by a man who could well become a Charlton man in the next few weeks.

Rumours aside though and this match comes courtesy of a 3-2 win for the Dons over Spennymoor Town in the last round… The Dons took a quick three goal lead inside 15mins against their Non-League opponents yet two deserved goals saw Spennymoor almost forcing a replay… Of course though the MK Dons haven’t been in exsistance for very long, only in five seasons have they failed to reach the Third Round whilst 2013 saw the Dons reach round five only to be stopped by Barnsley.

Charlton Team News
With Karl Robinson taking charge for the first time who knows who’ll be picked… After an impressive first league outing at the Valley you’d expect Dillon Phillips to start in goal whilst Chris Solly and Ricky Holmes remain long term absentees… Ezri Konsa may well come into the heart of Defence whilst we may see a rare appearance from Jorge Teixeira depending on whether the new man rates him or not.

Phillips
Foley | Konsa | Pearce | Fox
Botaka | Crofts | Ulvestad | Chicksen
Magennis | Lookman

Substitutes Bench: Beeney | Teixeira | Lennon | Jackson | Hanlan | Ajose | Novak

Prediction
After seeing Swindon and the way they performed in front of new Management you’d like to think the signs are promising for the Addicks. Yet with MK Dons set to hire Robbie Neilson they too should have that eagerness to impress… Ultimately though I do see the Addicks victorious without the need for a replay, the Dons are struggling in the League which surely needs to be their priority unless they want to suffer back to back relegations?

Referee Watch … Darren England
Notably a Football League referee; Mr England has taken charge of eighteen games this season which saw his season start at the Valley between the Addicks and Northampton Town. So far a total of five red cards have been issued by this official (with two coming in one game) whilst 49-yellows have been handed out.

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • I can only see KR using this as a first chance to see his best squad play in the way he wants them to; also, he will not want to try things out when the oppo is his old club - he said in the presser that "he just wants to win this".

For that reason, I can see him picking potentially his best available team -

Phillips
    Foley
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Lookman
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Chicksen
    Magennis
    Ajose

Subs: Beeney, Teixera, Konsa, Lennon, Jackson, Hanlan, Novak.
  • worse in the league than us so hopefully roll over and we get a win, despite current ownership would like a big tie in round 3 preferably away.

charlton 2 - mk dons 0
  • Pedro45 said:

I can only see KR using this as a first chance to see his best squad play in the way he wants them to; also, he will not want to try things out when the oppo is his old club - he said in the presser that "he just wants to win this".

For that reason, I can see him picking potentially his best available team -

Phillips
    Foley
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Lookman
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Chicksen
    Magennis
    Ajose

Subs: Beeney, Teixera, Konsa, Lennon, Jackson, Hanlan, Novak.

Good starting line-up - but not sure about 3 defenders on the bench. Need a space for Botaka (if he doesn't actually start).

CAFC 2-0 MKD and in the draw for the next round...
  • edited December 2016
    Robinson has not had the time to properly assess his players so he'll go for a conservative, almost certainly unchanged selection .. should be a good game, MKD will not want to lose to their ex manager and Robinson will be keen to prove Winkelman wrong (if they do get Neilsen, they will be getting highly rated manager who has revitalised H O M)

Hard fought win .. Robinson's first team selection unchanged from Saturday (the Blades lost at home to Walsall in the week) though I think that Pearce is proving a bit of a weak link in defence, Jackson is suffering in midfield and Lookman needs a rest .. I'd bring in Two Gun Tex, Chicksen and Botaka with Ajose in attack alongside Magennis

CAFC 1 v Milton Keynes Dons 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38158816
  • 3-0 to Charlton as the Addicks go bob bob bobbing along into the 3rd round draw
  • Under normal circumstances this would be a nailed-on 1-1 draw, followed by a disappointing defeat in the replay. However, taking into account the "new manager bump" vs the "opposition motivated to put one over their old gaffer", this is quite a tough one to call.

MK Dons are poor at the moment, so I reckon if we score first, we win. Victory will be rewarded by the bittersweet feeling of a money-spinning day out at Old Trafford, tainted by the knowledge that Katrien will be on the phone to Roland claiming to have used her business acumen (pffft!) to generate £1m of extra ticket income.

Either that or we'll get Huddersfield.

Hasbeens 2 - Neverweres 0
  • 2-0 to Charlton - Ajose with a brace
  • edited December 2016
    A relatively comfortable win, with Robinson getting applause from all four three sides of the ground
  • Sponsored links:

• Is anyone actually going to this...?
  • Roland has banned The Red Red Robin, tomorrow the teams will come out to Diamonds Are Forever 2-0 Charlton
  • Karl's team get through to the next round. 0-1
  • 2 - 1 Charlton
  • edited December 2016
    3-1
  • Home win 3-1.
  • Greenie said:

Is anyone actually going to this...?

I couldn't resist the "I was there" moment...

Haven't sat in the West Stand since the mid 90s, when the stand was only half the size. The Bob Bolder testimonial game against Sheffield Wednesday! I recall their manager Trevor Francis played a bit in the game, and years after retirement, he was still easily the best player on the pitch
  • Sponsored links:

• Time for KR to put a result where the waffle has been this week. I would have thought he would put out a strong team so he can have a good look at them.

If he puts out a second team resting players I look forward to seeing the email!
  • 3-0 to Charlton.
    This is going to be our year, we will be the first third tier team to appear in a FA cup final!!

Since Spurs, anyhow....
  • Would love to see us go into the third round draw and I think we will albeit awaiting a replay. 1-1 and the 3k are left frustrated.
  • Greenie said:

Of course.
  • Regardless of the result I suspect loads of goals considering our recent home record and MK's away recording.

0-0
  • edited December 2016
    Greenie said:

Yes, and for various reasons (involving exams and refusals) I won't be taking my boys and their mates. So I'll have six seats behind the dugout all to myself. (So you can deduct five from the official attendance right there).
  • worse in the league than us so hopefully roll over and we get a win, despite current ownership would like a big tie in round 3 preferably away.

charlton 2 - mk dons 0

I hope those of the 'not a penny more' persuasion realise that you can't go to away cup games as the club gets a percentage of the revenue.