Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rum. And where to get it.

I need to get a really good rum for a friend. I'm clueless, don't know what to get or where to get it from.
Help.

Comments

• Ron Atlantico. From Dominican Republic. Divine stuff. I get it from Selfridges in Manchester Trafford Centre, so you should be able to get it in London store or online.
  • Like searching for all good booze, first stop whiskyexchange.com, then see if can find said item cheaper anywhere else!! What type of rum does your mate like?? If you're not sure there's a great 'plantation' series which most years has a fantastic selection that's not too expensive.
  • Addickted said:

Hmmmm.

Jamaican rum is your best bet, my particular favourite is any of the Appleton Estate rums. The 10 year old is fabulous, but difficult to get hold of.

Woods Old Navy rum is also wonderful drinking neat or with ice - and it's quite potent.

Sainsbury's in Maidstone has a special rum section, like most supermarkets have with their whisky.

My birthday isn't until January though iainment.

Thanks I'll toast your birthday!
  • My friend is Jamaican so I guess he'd want a Jamaican rum preferably.
    Although another island rum might be good as an ironic gift.
    And many thanks for the replies.
  • Depends how much you want to spend. If you are looking for a decent mid price spiced rum then Kraken Black Spiced you can get from Tesco. As Addickted has said though you can't go wrong with Appleton Estate Jamaican Rum, it is very nice indeed.
  • Sangsom have no idea about rums but delicious with loads of ice and coke
  • If you're anywhere near Westminster, this is a great shop for spirits. Just tell them your price range and ask for some recommendations.

http://gerrys.uk.com
  • And here are their rum pages with 147 offerings ranging from £3.50 to several hundred quid: http://gerrys.uk.com/product-category/spirits/rum/golddark/
  • Another vote for Kraken. Also, Bacardi spiced rum is really good,
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
    Addickted said:

Hmmmm.

Jamaican rum is your best bet, my particular favourite is any of the Appleton Estate rums. The 10 year old is fabulous, but difficult to get hold of.

Woods Old Navy rum is also wonderful drinking neat or with ice - and it's quite potent.

Sainsbury's in Maidstone has a special rum section, like most supermarkets have with their whisky.

Do as I did, and go to Jamaica and visit the Appleton estate and try all the different rums they produce (about 10), and then buy
  • ross1 said:

Addickted said:

Hmmmm.

Do as I did, and go to Jamaica and visit the Appleton estate and try all the different rums they produce (about 10), and the buy
    But I need this by Saturday.

I'd love to go there but I don't like rum and my opinion wouldn't have any value.

The input from rum lovers is great and much appreciated.
  • iainment said:

ross1 said:

Addickted said:

Hmmmm.

Do as I did, and go to Jamaica and visit the Appleton estate and try all the different rums they produce (about 10), and the buy
    But I need this by Saturday.

I'd love to go there but I don't like rum and my opinion wouldn't have any value.

The input from rum lovers is great and much appreciated.
    Joking aside, I do not drink rum either, but the tour was interesting and plenty of drunk people on the way back to the hotel
  • As others have said, Appleton rum is good. Also, Goslings (Bermuda) and Pyrat (Guyana).
  • ross1 said:

Addickted said:

Hmmmm.

Do as I did, and go to Jamaica and visit the Appleton estate and try all the different rums they produce (about 10), and then buy
    Made the same mistake once.

All their rums are available in the duty free at both Kingston and MB airports at about 20% cheaper than at the Estate itself.

• Get him this. No joke
  • Havana Club 15 years is one of the best runs I remember drinking.

But I'm sure I've had too much of the Appleton range on several nights.
  • Buy some from tescos. They all taste like shit
  • Buy some from tescos. They all taste like shit

Do you know what I agree. But my mate doesn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Buy Appleton, empty it out into a vase or similar, fill with Lidl's finest, decant into Apleton bottle, serve and relax.
    Then drink Appleton knowing you have won this competition.
  • Buy Appleton, empty it out into a vase or similar, fill with Lidl's finest, decant into Apleton bottle, serve and relax.

Not really. As a rum drinker he'd know........... and not forget.

Remind me not to buy a car from you Art.

• edited November 2016
    Addickted said:

Buy Appleton, empty it out into a vase or similar, fill with Lidl's finest, decant into Apleton bottle, serve and relax.

Not really. As a rum drinker he'd know........... and not forget.

Remind me not to buy a car from you Art.

Go on, try it!
    Bet you the taste buds cant differentiate.

PS if he wants a low mileage Fiesta, let me know - I'll stick a BMW badge on the front and see if your mate can tell the difference.
  • edited November 2016
    ross1 said:

Addickted said:

Hmmmm.

Do as I did, and go to Jamaica and visit the Appleton estate and try all the different rums they produce (about 10), and then buy.
    Buy? I think you mean fall over.

• Havana Club 15 years is one of the best runs I remember drinking.

But I'm sure I've had too much of the Appleton range on several nights.

Havana Club do a range of very nice rums. I've happy memories of drinking rum in Cuba!
  • I've been in Haiti a few times, and would seriously recommend the Barbancourt 8 year old rum - I think it uses a cognac-style process that is unusual amongst rums. Well worth a try.

It's £28 on Amazon and £34 at the whisky exchange. Sadly, like power banks and some other items airlines don't wish to carry, Amazon won't deliver it to Northern Ireland.
  • I've been in Haiti a few times, and would seriously recommend the Barbancourt 8 year old rum - I think it uses a cognac-style process that is unusual amongst rums. Well worth a try.

It's £28 on Amazon and £34 at the whisky exchange. Sadly, like power banks and some other items airlines don't wish to carry, Amazon won't deliver it to Northern Ireland.

Pop over to the Republic before it's too late.
  • Addickted said:

I've been in Haiti a few times, and would seriously recommend the Barbancourt 8 year old rum - I think it uses a cognac-style process that is unusual amongst rums. Well worth a try.

Pop over to the Republic before it's too late.
    I will, trust me...
  • Who knew how rum was so complicated. I didn't.