Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steven Gerrard Retires

Great career and the right time to do it too.

Comments

• Fanastic career, one of a dying breed of English players who truly knew how to lead a team.
  • dizzee said:

Overrated because he was English.

By who?
  • To join his old pal Karl Robinson? ;)
  • Think he was a very good player personally - was particularly good in 2009 playing behind Torres.
  • One of the most hyped up and over rated players I have ever seen. Full credit for being loyal to Liverpool, although if he had his way he would have gone to Chelski

i really don't think he would have fitted in at chelsea
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016

dizzee said:

Overrated because he was English.

“He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more.” Alex Ferguson

“He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world.” Carlo Ancelotti

“For the job he performs, he is one of the greatest.” Ronaldinho

“I can’t think of a striker in the world who has scored so many important goals, never mind a midfielder.” Thierry Henry

“Steven Gerrard is the best player I’ve ever played with.” Luis Suarez (admittedly this was before he joined Barca)

“He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything. At Liverpool, he is irreplaceable.” Fernando Torres

“I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right.” Patrick Vieira

“Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be. When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself, Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard." Zinedine Zidane

“I have never seen such a complete midfielder.” Claudio Marchisio

"Overrated because he was English" - dizzee
    Haha brilliant.

But I still think he's overrated.
  • Slagged off regularly, because he is English...
  • Made his teams worse by trying to do everything himself.

Good player but could've been even better with some discipline.

Haha.
  • edited November 2016

Made his teams worse by trying to do everything himself.

Agreed on lacking discipline. Never had any tactical understanding or positional discipline. It's why Rafa played him as a #10 and he had the most successful spell of his career with a free role and the brilliant double pivot of Mascherano and Xabi Alonso behind him. Was the third best midfielder in that midfield and no one fawned nearly as much over Alonso or Mascherano at the time.

Good player, but like Michael Owen, born 10-15 years too late. The Roy of the Rovers (Robson) type midfielder, like the goal poacher, had all but been eradicated from the top level of the game by the time he hit his peak. And like Owen, he never adjusted.

Very good player who provided some great moments. THAT goal against Pards' West Ham in the FA Cup final. That night in Instanbul.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some quite laughable assements of a ridiculously talented footballer.

I'd happily take you feedback on my assessment. I left out "desperately one-footed" ;).
  • edited November 2016
    Quality player. Loved growing up watching him. It's a shame that the modern day tw*ts on social media continue to rinse him for that slip.

He was a credit to his club and country. I grew up watching England with the likes of becks, scholes, gerrard and lamps. With that lot in your team there was actually realistic hope that England could achieve something. Although they didn't, now it's just a pipe dream.It's frightening we have no english players who look like getting near accomplishing what those players did.

• Was a bit unlucky not to take Liverpool to the title.
  • I mean that year he fell on his arse.
  • I do believe that, had Gerrard been say ten years younger, with the fluidity of formations used nowadays, he would have proven to have been an even better - especially for England where he and Lampard were almost fighting for, effectively, the same position and role in the side.
  • Some quite laughable assements of a ridiculously talented footballer.

Agreed. I seem to remember it was the same when Scholes retired.
  • Incredible player. One of my favourites of all time.
    Had Adidas Predator boots for ages because of him.
  • SDAddick said:

Made his teams worse by trying to do everything himself.

Agreed. Never had any tactical understanding or positional discipline. It's why Rafa played him as a #10 and he had the most successful spell of his career with a free role and the brilliant double pivot of Mascherano and Xabi Alonso behind him. Was the third best midfielder in that midfield and no one fawned nearly as much over Alonso or Mascherano at the time.

Good player, but like Michael Owen, born 10-15 years too late. The Roy of the Rovers (Robson) type midfielder, like the goal poacher, had all but been eradicated from the top level of the game by the time he hit his peak. And like Owen, he never adjusted.

Very good player who provided some great moments. THAT goal against Pards' West Ham in the FA Cup final. That night in Instanbul.
    You're spot on there. He struggled and failed to adjust so much he was restricted to only appearing 710 times for them.