Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karl Robinson (Ed. Page 79 - GONE- Mutual Consent)

Comments

• Options

I think the lack of squad depth makes us very 1 dimensional

the squad's ok, getting better with the return of Reeves and Marshall. 3 out of Reeves, Marshall, Fosu, Holmes and Clarke is very exciting. Konsa and Sarr both played very well at the weekend. Phillips is a decent Number 2, Lennon and Page should be back soon and Aribo is ready to step in at CM.

Other than another striker, the squads a decent one for League 1 level IMO.
    if everyone is fit I agree other than cover for Kashi

yeah possibly, but Konsa and Dijksteel could play there I guess.
  • Options

I think the lack of squad depth makes us very 1 dimensional

the squad's ok, getting better with the return of Reeves and Marshall. 3 out of Reeves, Marshall, Fosu, Holmes and Clarke is very exciting. Konsa and Sarr both played very well at the weekend. Phillips is a decent Number 2, Lennon and Page should be back soon and Aribo is ready to step in at CM.

Other than another striker, the squads a decent one for League 1 level IMO.
    Yeah i agree the squad is strong when everyone is fit, still 2 strikers short in my opinion
  • Options
    First time a manager has been charltonised?

I think there is more chance of another team poaching him off us than him being sacked at the moment
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I think he's doing a pretty good job, I can only recall us being properly outclassed once this season at home to Wigan (best team in the division in my opinion). We've got unlucky in a few, probably a bit lucky in some as well.

I don't think we've 'clicked' quite yet in Robinson's system, certainly shown it in flashes, and if we do click I can see us going on a rampage. Even now when we're not quite there we're in the play-off spots, so I don't have any complaints - and we do play some pretty nice entertaining stuff at times.

Plan B for when we're getting pressed, and Plan C for when a team dumps men behind the ball are a big priority though.
  • Options

The question is- could you (the fans) do a better job

Yep I could do a better job than Karl Robinson without a shadow of a doubt
    At what?

My job
  • Options
    Robbo is very highly regarded by the one squad member that I am related to :smile:
  • Options

if everyone is fit I agree other than cover for Kashi

No one else in this league has a player like Kashi, let alone two!!

• Options
    We are going to lose games. Our squad isn't head and shoulders above everyone else in the division, which means we are going to have to work hard for every single win. If we aren't at the races on a particular day, we are going to be punished. But, Robinson is doing the best he can, yes we are one dimensional but when it clicks we are a pretty decent side.

I've seen the alternatives that Roland has given us, and I wasn't much impressed. Whilst Robinson may not be everybody's cup of tea, he is sure as hell better than what came before. I hope Roland doesn't get the jitters after one of our bad days, we need the stability, the players particularly. Some of them have played under 7 different managers since Roly arrived, more if you count the caretaker bosses.

We have every chance of reaching the play-offs this time around, though it's going to be a long hard season. If we DO make the play-offs, anything can happen. I just want to get out of this tin pot division and I think we have a better chance of doing that by sticking with the manager we have than gambling on what we may be given next.
  • Options

Luzon is currently Maccabi Haifa manager at the moment, so hasn't done badly for himself since leaving us

Looking at ex-managers over the last decade:

- Pardew....nowhere
    - Parkinson....Bolton where he's had success and Bradford City before that (also a successful spell)
    - Powell....nowhere
    - Riga....Cercle Brugge in Belgium. Reasonable spells with Standard Liege and Metz as well between his 2 spells with us
    - Peeters....nowhere
    - Luzon....Maccabi Haifa after a disastrous spell at Hapoel Tel Aviv (they were relegated)
    - Fraeye....nowhere
    - Slade....Grimsby Town after Coventry City and neither a success (to date)

and...pre last decade...
    - Seed....Bristol City (Caretaker) and Millwall. Say no more.

Summary - 50+% are out of the game.

You have to sat that although Powell did the business for us in 2012 he hasn't set the world alight subsequently. Bit like Curbishley in many ways after leaving the Valley. Riga stands out as the best manager imported by Duchatelet and Parkinson as easily the best we had pre-Powell.

For my money Robinson is about a good as we could get at this stage. His form at MK Dons 2 x play-offs and a promotion from League One speaks for itself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A clear achievement.
  • Options
    Managing his 400th game - he’s only 37 as well....that’s some going.
  • Options
    doing a great job - seems to have all the attributes a football manager needs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They’ve recently been taken over haven’t they?
    Could he go there knowing he will be there for a while whereas staying at Charlton could mean he’s gone as soon as a takeover happens/promotion isn’t provided!?
  • Options
    Quite sure Karl will want to speak to any new owner asap. Especially when other jobs are suddenly available.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

They’ve recently been taken over haven’t they?
    Could he go there knowing he will be there for a while whereas staying at Charlton could mean he’s gone as soon as a takeover happens/promotion isn’t provided!?

On the other hand if he gets the push by our new owners, he'll get a nice payoff. And lets face it, new managerial vacancies will come around soon enough anyway!
  • Options
    If he goes we'll have Dan Cowley thanks
  • Options

If he goes we'll have Dan Cowley thanks

Good call
  • Options
    If he goes I'd put Tone in charge as caretaker manager and buy eleven tickets just behind the dugout for his first home game. There wouldn't be a second! ;)
  • Options
    Has the word Powell been mentioned in this thread yet? ;)