Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Difficulty with 'welcoming' a new manager?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Every managerial change makes the owner more happy than the last managerial change. Fact.
  • Options
    I quite simply don't know what to think anymore. There were times last season when I wanted the team to get smashed to emphasise the incompetence of RD & KM. after appointing Slade I allowed myself to get slightly optimistic and behind the team, really pleased we rescued a point against Bolton as I actually thought we deserved it.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I felt dead again inside on Saturday, feelings of wanting us to get turned over after the shambolic actions of removing Slade (not that I thought he was particularly good, more angry that we're onto number 8 in just under 3 years).

Strangely I was quite behind the team last night.....

We have players I like, like Magennis, but he alone, isn't enough for me to fully get behind the team, and I also worry if results pick up, momentum behind the protests may suffer.

What all this says is that we're a mess. How can my feelings change on a month to month basis. If the club were going in the right direction, these feelings wouldn't exist
  • Options

Good luck to him, I think we are a better prospect for a sale as a championship club.

I hope he doesn't talk about the protests negatively because that would really get a decent number of fans backs up when he could just avoid the subject.

It seems he already has done, if reported correctly.
  • Options
    A large part of the problem over the last year or so is how Meire conducts herself in public. It is an indicator of smugness alongside the combination of incompetence.

No one can warm to that. The CEO shouldnt be a talking point either, but she puts herself out there.

It's got personal.

It's a shame.

The large dislike between the fans and SMT also carries the attachment of the success on the pitch.

You just know that they will take all the grace and responsibility for if when the teams succeeds.....just as much of when they try and deflect blame for when we lose, like blame it on fans protests.

It would be great if we just didn't hear from the current SMT ever again, because they are really embarrassing and I want them to fail.

I cannot wait for the day when its simply just about the football.

A 5-1 win is rare and should be celebrated without any negativeness attached.

We are in league one still.....

The SMT will not be able to resist saying

"I told you we were right to sack Slade......"

The SMT will attempt to take the credit like hungry dogs if Charlton get promoted.

The smugness will be out of control.

The problem is, no one wants the SMT to claim credit they don't deserve.

Once that thought is gone, then all will be well again.

• Options
    Yes.

The damage already caused is immense.

My son is not going to be a great footballer but will do well for his school team I'm sure (6 yeas old) but he is playing with some very talented kids at Welling.

Their parents are saying that they had always thought of Charlton as a good, developmental club. But now under the existing owners they would not contemplate an offer from Charlton into the academy.

For every year the current ownership persists, there is another year's gap when we will struggle to bring through the youth teams as we have before.

Duchatelet has a few years of players left before the youth setup dies.

• Options
    Have manager overload personally
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The problem is that they have well & truly created a "them & us" situation - I even feel that a manager that brings any modicum of success for them will almost be used as a "told you so" to us ...

What they have done & said over the last 3 years cannot be swept under the carpet by a bit of success....I cant really see any scenario where I will forgive & forget under this odious regime.

So I will begrudginly welcome the new manager but he will need to work pretty hard to demonstrate that he is one of us & especially hard that he is not one of them
  • Options
    Oakster said:

The problem is that they have well & truly created a "them & us" situation - I even feel that a manager that brings any modicum of success for them will almost be used as a "told you so" to us ...

What they have done & said over the last 3 years cannot be swept under the carpet by a bit of success....I cant really see any scenario where I will forgive & forget under this odious regime.

So I will begrudginly welcome the new manager but he will need to work pretty hard to demonstrate that he is one of us & especially hard that he is not one of them

100%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My position hasn't altered throughout this debacle. All I want is for us to be a proper club again. I'll admit that the chances of that greatly improve if the current ownership buggers off, but if by some miracle I they can get their own house in order (I don't think they will) I don't care if they end up staying, as long as we're run with competence again.

I don't think appointing a crap manager will help us become a proper club again. Appointing the best manager we can may though.

Honestly have no idea if Robinson is the best we can get or expect, but I hope he does well, assuming he is eventually appointed, because if he does well we'll get back out of this Mickey Mouse league and take a step back towards being the old Charlton.
  • Options
    If we knew what RD was thinking it would be a lot easier to have a clear opinion. It's a bit like the line that many applauded or, at least, appreciated last season of "if we go down to L1 and RD goes, I'll take it". What now? If we go down to L2 and RD goes...

What are his plans? To get us back to the Premiership and cash in? To get his money back? To walk away if we dropped any further? Does he even know? Or, care?

Two good results are great but we are a long way from the club that had so much spirit when it came back up from L1 last time. If we do get up, what then? Back to struggling in the Championship with a limp squad?

So much is wrong at the moment and the priority must be a change of ownership; results are secondary for me even though it's hard to admit that. Yes, there is just a chance that the SMT has learnt or will learn its lessons but the noises that come out give nothing to give anyone the faintest hope that the process is underway.

As for Karl Robinson, I have no strong feelings about him. I really haven't followed the fortunes of MK Dons much. Do I want him to succeed? Well, yes, if he is the first manager to show this lot how to run a football club. Whether he has any chance looks less than likely, but you never know.
  • Options
    If RD was to sack KM and appointy someone that could run the club properly I would, probably, be able to accept that - especially as the amount of money he has (and has spent) could get us the success we all want.

However I don't believe that he will ever do that nor do I believe that he even wants what we want.

So I just want to club to suffer as little damage as possible between now and when we have a new owner. I suspect that this means that we need a new owner as soon as possible but we also need a capable manager in-beetween.
  • Options
    Difficulty with giving much of a shit tbh. Good article btw.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The problem is we are interviewing out of work (failed) managers rather than targeting someone to take us forward (like Wilder).

I wouldn't particularly call Robinson a failed manager.

He did well enough based on his resources at MKD, built sides that played attractive football, getting into the playoffs twice plus a promotion within 4 seasons.

Sure MKD struggled last year but he wasn't given the resources to strengthen his promotion winning side to Championship standards.
    Most managers would have struggled in those circumstances.

And the club did target Wilder - he was ready to accept the Charlton job but didn't get the written assurances that they had promised him.
    So he walked away.

I am not saying he is not a good manager. But we sacked a guy who had lost one game after decent results where he was missing key players. Slade was crap in my eyes, but he was sacked for not having the tools to get us up. So our two contenders are sacked one club managers who achieved promotion but came straight back down. What is the vision? If he gets us up and yoyo's will he be out? Yes. Has he shown any attributes that lead us to believe he will succeed with us? No. Bring on young players, who apart from Deli Alli? Cup runs? Turned down offers while at MKD? Can't imagine he was in the lower of L1 budgets given their set-up.