Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League tonight

Well done to Leicester who win their group with 13 points after another win, but another terrible result for Spurs who lose again and crash out of the competition.

Comments

• Options
    Dortmund game sounds like a ripper.
  • Options

A bit uneven that group!

Dortmund lead Madrid by 2 point, with the final game their clash in Madrid. If Madrid finish 2nd, there'll be some worried group winners elsewhere!
  • Options
    Would be funny if arsenal finally win the group and then get Madrid in next round.
  • Options

Hats off to Leicester, shame for Spurs, rather them than the team who thought South London wasn't good enough for them any day.

Spurs deserve to go out, rested players and got punished for it.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Not sure why their manager gets all the plaudits but seems to approach the game with a defence he wouldn't start a Premiership game with. I mean the Champions League is what all the clubs battle to get into. It defies logic. They chose to play at Wembley for financial reasons and have lost both games there. They so deserve to go out of the competition.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Would be funny if arsenal finally win the group and then get Madrid in next round.

This could be a year where winning your group gives you a harder tie than if you finished runner up. As it stands PSG, Man City, Real Madrid and Bayern could all finish 2nd.
  • Options
    From a spurs perspective they wanna rest players and hopefully lose next game, would be far more beneficial to concentrate on league and get a champions league spot next year
  • Options

From a spurs perspective they wanna rest players and hopefully lose next game, would be far more beneficial to concentrate on league and get a champions league spot next year

They can rest even more players for the remainder of the competition now
  • Options
    Leicester have been brilliant. Fair play to them.

Spurs on the other hand, apart from the Man City game at WHL, have been playing woeful, turgid football all season. I cant stress that enough.

I'll save you my rantings purely as you lot have got much more on your plate these days but I'll post up a picture when I get into the office which made me chuckle buts its not far from the truth!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

A bit uneven that group!

Dortmund lead Madrid by 2 point, with the final game their clash in Madrid. If Madrid finish 2nd, there'll be some worried group winners elsewhere!
    You just KNOW that if Arsenal top their Group and Madrid come second then the two will face each other

You also just know that if Arsenal finish second and Madrid top their Group, the two will face each other lol!
  • Options
    Here you go...made me chuckle...

• Options

Probably correct, but a sad reflection of the modern game
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Or they could make an attempt to win the Europa League and get entry to the Champions League that way?

With Chelsea | Man City | Liverpool | Arsenal all proving stronger and more consistent in front of goal in the Premier League at the moment, I'd actually say that the Europa League is the easier route through to it next season.

Especially as Sevilla (Who always win the damn thing) look likely to get through the Champions League next round, whilst the teams that look like advancing from the Europa League dont appear dangerous themselves (Maybe Villarreal?)
  • Options
    Why rest players, lose and end up in the Europa league where you then have to play more games AND play on a thursday night which damages your league hopes even more
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Why rest players, lose and end up in the Europa league where you then have to play more games AND play on a thursday night which damages your league hopes even more

Surely this is a myth is just an excuse for English teams to exit the competition and is partly proof because the main English teams that get into the Europa League are those that dont have the squad capacity to manage both Domestic and European games - i.e. take Leicester in the Champions League this season and their current League position is (14th) and Liverpool who got the Europa League Final last season and where their current League position was (8th)?

Plus only Liverpool only lost one League match last season that followed a Europa League tie

Playing on a Thursday night means your guaranteed to play on a Sunday at the earliest whilst if you play on the Champions League on the Wednesday night you'll potentially end up with a Saturday game... Both rest periods between the two are EXACTLY the same!!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Probably correct, but a sad reflection of the modern game
    It makes complete sense doesn't it? Spend millions and years trying to get into the competition then when you finally get there, you rest your players to save them for the league games to try and qualify for the same competition the year after?

Compare the last time Spurs qualified for the CL with this. Last time round on the last day of the transfer window, we bought Van Der Vaart for £10m. One of the best players I have seen in a Spurs shirt. Ok, almost past it but was still world class. Was an absolute pleasure to watch him play. This time around, we bought Sissoko for £33m. WTF. Its beyond laughable. Whoever sanctioned that transfer for that price needs shooting. It wasn't Mitchell the DoF because he was on gardening leave by then so it begs the question. You just know we'll win the last game and end third and back in the Europa.
  • Options
    Playing at Wembley didn't do them any favours. Next season they'll be playing all their home matches there, so they'll need to get used to their new surrounding soon!
  • Options

Playing at Wembley didn't do them any favours. Next season they'll be playing all their home matches there, so they'll need to get used to their new surrounding soon!

Surely Spurs can request that the pitch dimensions are altered to the same they play on at White Hart Lane though? - As I guess this is their issue playing at two different Grounds (and is the same as when Arsenal struggled when they played their Champions League games at the old Wembley as well)
  • Options
    Big upset as Bayern are beaten 3-2 away at Rostov, probably the best result in Rostov's history.

Means that if Atletico pick up at least a point later tonight then Bayern will be runners up and quite a few group winners will be hoping to avoid them. Bayern will no doubt be hoping they draw Leicester.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Big upset as Bayern are beaten 3-2 away at Rostov, probably the best result in Rostov's history.

Means that if Atletico pick up at least a point later tonight then Bayern will be runners up and quite a few group winners will be hoping to avoid them. Bayern will no doubt be hoping they draw Leicester.

Imagine if both Bayern and Real finish second!

I can imagine a few group leaders desperately trying to lose their final match and come second instead :smile:
  • Options
    Ben Hamer is starting away at Porto tonight.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Spurs blew it by playing at Wembley (their 'home ground' next season) in front of huge crowds, as did Arsenal a few years back before the Emirates was built .. strange how home turf can mean so much to a football team .. can they have success tonight ?
  • Options

Spurs blew it by playing at Wembley (their 'home ground' next season) in front of huge crowds, as did Arsenal a few years back before the Emirates was built .. strange how home turf can mean so much to a football team .. can they have success tonight ?

Oh joy, we've qualified for the Europa League. I'm on the verge of wetting myself with excitement. Not.

For the sake of next season alone, we needed that win badly tonight. Think it was something like 6 or 7 defeats in a row at the new Wembley...
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Oh joy, we've qualified for the Europa League. I'm on the verge of wetting myself with excitement. Not.

For the sake of next season alone, we needed that win badly tonight. Think it was something like 6 or 7 defeats in a row at the new Wembley...
    I only realised Spurs were playing at Wembley tonight when I tried to get on a Metropolitan Line train this evening!
  • Options
    For the first time that i can remember, it seems like the group runners up are a better bunch than the sides who finished top.

Group winners: Arsenal, Napoli, Barca, Atletico, Monaco, Dortmund, Leicester, Juventus

Runners up: PSG, Benfica, Man City, Bayern, Leverkusen, Real Madrid, Porto, Sevilla
  • Options
    Benfica and Porto are the one's you would want.
  • Options
    It's obvious to everyone except those pie-throwing morons why they will never be allowed into the English league. They are condemned forever to play park football in their joke league and make annual comic forays into European competitions.
  • Options
    Would be rather ironic if Arsenal, having topped their group, for the first time in four or five seasons, drew Bayern or Real in the knockout stages