Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Messages for Roland - delivered to Roland

Many of you on Charlton Life have supported the club for generations. However, under the current regime, many fans are boycotting, thousands of season ticket holders have not renewed and future generations of fans are being lost.

Roland Duchatelet thinks that the protests have no reason.

In part, this is probably because Katrien Meire has not been able to tell him about the stories of individual and collective loss that his ownership and regime have brought to so many fans of the club.

So, in the spirit of collaboration, we will offer to tell him for you. Please either leave your story here on this thread, or email it to Thebelgium20@gmail.com and we'll make sure it gets delivered to him.

Please no abuse as this will not be delivered. We want him to see as many genuine stories as possible of how the Duchatelet ownership of CAFC and associated regime have negatively affected your lives.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    This thread has many of the sort of stories that I'm sure Roland would like to know about...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74188/to-those-who-hasnt-renewed-your-season-ticket-how-many-seasons-did-you-commit

If any of the posters wants to refresh their comments so they can be delivered to Roland, please just let us know.
  • Options
    And they will be delivered to Roland?
  • Options
    Dear Mr Duchatelet,

Please do the right thing and sell Charlton Athletic Football Club and let a new owner take over that will have 100% interested in the club just like the fans are.

I remember my first ever Charlton game at The Valley on the 5th of December 1992, I was 12 years old and was amazed by it, it felt like a very special place and I fell in love with the club from that day, and had lots of very happy memories since. My granddad was at the FA Cup Final in 1947 and use to tell me all about it and lots of other stories about Charlton too.

But now it's the worst ever time I have experienced being a Charlton supporter and the worst that I have ever felt, I'm still proud to be a Charlton supporter, as it's my club till I die, so please understand how this is affecting everyone that loves Charlton Athletic.

Please once again do the right thing and sell Charlton Athletic, show as that your man enough to make the right decision and show as what a real man you can be, a lot of people will respect you for it.

This will never work ever if you only have 1.5% interest in Charlton Athletic, needs to be 100% for it to work.

Thanks.

• Options
    M. Duchatelet,

After 39 consecutive years as a season ticket holder, through Selhurst Park and Upton Park, I took the hard decision this season not to renew my season tickets. I still attend home games but for the first time since I was a boy, I no longer slavishly attend every match. My loyalty has been broken by your lack of ambition for my football, your lack of a positive strategy beyond becoming a self-sufficient feeder club and the totally unacceptable local mismanagement of the entire club by Katrien Meire. Personally, I could have suffered your lack of ambition and direction for longer had Meire not angered me at every turn to the point where she has lost the fan base and we can all see that all she has left is wader-thin excuses for every mistake she claims to have acknowledged and learnt from. She doesn't know how to acknowledge responsibility or to do anything genuinely honest to fix it. I have already missed three league home matches and haven't bothered with the Cups which means I have missed more games already than in any season since I started going regularly in 1977. Your continued ownership and Meire's chronic mismanagement has reduced the real home gate to c 5-6,000 and that will continue to fall until you sell the club.

There is no way back unless you have a Damascus moment in terms of your ambition and Meire is replaced with a competent CEO, both of which I believe is highly unlikely. Sell the club before your have to give it away.
  • Options
    I applaud your commitment to the cause and support any legal effort to drive this knob out but do you honestly think that Roland doesn't know what we are protesting about? He was lying when he claimed that we had no reason to demonstrate.

I wish you all the best and might even contribute but I can't help but think this part of the effort will have limited effect. I certainly don't believe that he will read them. Our only hope is that the media picks up on one or two really strong messages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I'm going to write a letter about why Balotelli never misses a penalty instead.
  • Options
    Can you maybe add my name to the bottom of your letter Paddy 7 because you have expressed that better than I could have :+1:
  • Options
    I'll get composing mine shortly - great idea .
  • Options
    Mr Duchatelet,

I have followed Charlton for 48 years. I went to my first match in 1969. I bought my first season ticket in 1974, when the club was in the third division and I was a programme seller the following season. I went to Selhurst Park and Upton Park to support the team and was a season ticket holder from 1994 until 2014.

I used to run a website called Charlton Scrapbook that celebrated the proud history of the club. It used to get hundreds of views a week from people all over the world including many ex players.
    Charlton used to be a very well run family club and most other clubs in the country used to aspire to being run as well as we were.

You have turned our club into an utter shambles and as an owner you are a disgrace.

The previous owners were running short of money but there weren't too many complaints because we knew that they wanted success for the club but just didn't have the means to do it.

As soon as you came in it was obvious that you weren't interested in the club being successful. Our best players were sold and third rate replacements were brought in. It's obvious you just want to run the club on the lowest budget possible and hope to make money by selling our youth players. We are told lie after lie to cover up for the poor decisions that are being made that are running our club into the ground.

You are destroying Charlton Athletic, spoiling the community and putting a large stain on your own reputation. There doesn't seem to be any reason why you would want to own Charlton, when you're not even interested in it and there's nothing you will gain from it.

A club that is at 'war' with it's supporters will never achieve any success.

I will continue to watch Charlton occasionally, but I will not buy a season ticket from a club that is run so badly, especially with a CEO that as far as I can tell has never made one good decision for Charlton Athletic.

There are so many reason why we need to protest against your ownership in order to save our club, and so many reasons why you should just sell up now!
  • Options
    Anyone composing their note might want to be aware of the following from an interview on the "Why does Roland stand by KM" thread:

Roland says he likes to be influential. He is more rational than emotional. He says he is thick-skinned about people thinking he is an idiot, even if they are supposedly intelligent people. He says that sometimes he has to admit that he is wrong and that he is happy to do that but then goes on to say he's right a lot of the time...

He also played football himself between age of 10 and 15 as a midfielder - because he was a good runner and in midfield you have to run a lot. He stopped playing because his father thought it was dangerous - he might get injured - so he changed to athletics instead.

Now he plays football with his nine grandchildren. The interviewer jokes about him being ambitious for them all to be top footballers - he laughs and says some of them are girls and that girls football is also good.

What does he want out of life? "Health and happiness for everyone."

Belgians don't do irony, do they?
  • Options
    Fully expect his grandchildren turning out for us soon then.
  • Options
    Dear Roland.
    I was taken to the Valley by my father in the 1960s. I became a Charlton supporter and have been a regular supporter at the Valley since. I have had a season ticket since the move back to the Valley.
    I do not expect continued success. But I do expect to be part of my club.
    You own the club and therefore make decisions. Why do you own it if your decisions only ruin it.
    Your mistakes have been, getting rid of good players, replacing them with inferior players, sacking good ( Chris Powell) manager, replacing him with inadequate managers/ coaches that suit your network rather than the club.
    A major mistake was to appoint Miere as CEO. It has nothing to do with her being female so do not use this to ignore my comments. She has no experience in running a football club. She has and continues to make errors. She has insulted the supporters of the club. Numerous of her statements are untrue and she is continuously exposed as detrimental to the club.
    We are fed message that mistakes have been learned.This is not believed. There can be no progress until Miere is removed.
    On a practical note, forget the moral investment we have made, our attachment to the club. Be pragmatic- you are failing, we will continue to desert the club whilst it is under your control, you will loose more and more money.
    It is too late, remove a Miere and sell the club.

• Options

I applaud your commitment to the cause and support any legal effort to drive this knob out but do you honestly think that Roland doesn't know what we are protesting about? He was lying when he claimed that we had no reason to demonstrate.

I wish you all the best and might even contribute but I can't help but think this part of the effort will have limited effect. I certainly don't believe that he will read them. Our only hope is that the media picks up on one or two really strong messages.

come on give us a story and maybe i will share one as well......Between us P WE HAVE NEARLY 100 YEARS.of history too give.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Roland
    My first game at The Valley wss 34 years ago this week. We lost 5-1 to Rotherham, in front of a small crowd in a run-down stadium. You might think that it couldn't get any worse than that, but you'd be wrong.
    Soon after that we lost our ground and had to groundshare worth hated rivals. You might think it couldn't get any worse than that, but you'd be wrong.
    The reason you'd be wrong is that someone has taken us to new depths - someone who doesn't care about the club, appears to actively dislike the supporters and has caused unheard of levels of sadness, despair and rage amongst generations of supporters, who no longer recognise the club.
    I've been told that you're a very confident and thick skinned person, Roland, so just to be clear - I'm talking about you. You are ruining a very important part of thousands of people's lives for no gain to yourself. So do us a favour and do yourself a favour - sell the club. Yes, you'll lose some money, but it sounds like you can afford it and anyway, the alternative is to lose more. Just in case you ate in any doubt NEITHER YOU NOR YOUR INEPT CEO WILL EVER BE ACCEPTED HERE (and in case you were in any doubt that has nothing to do with race or gender).
    Matt
  • Options
    Dear Roland

Please sell the club. If you are not willing to do so, then please remove the incompetent Katrien Meire and put in charge someone who has the ability to run the club properly.

Katrien Meire ably assisted by yourself has done more damage to this club than anyone thought imaginable.

If you have any human feelings for the ten of thousands of lives you are ruining, then please act on this now.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dear M Duchatalet,
    I have supported Charlton since the early 1960s, and have held a season ticket continuously since 1985. I first took my son with me to a Charlton game when he was nine days old and 22 years later he is still firmly committed to supporting our great club, as am I. However, I do not see that you have any idea how to run the club that you now own and this is emphasised by your continued support for the hapless Katrien Meire. Until you sell the club, it will not receive another penny from myself and members of my family.
  • Options
    Dear Mr Duchatelet,
    I appreciate Charlton is only 1.5% of your business interests and therefore warrants little of your attention. I would however respectfully ask you to bear with my short message until the end as I think reading my perspective will be worth your time.
    Your vision for the club is to have a successful Championship team capable of an outside shot at promotion to the Premier and for the business to be economically self sustaining.
    You chose a CEO to run the business and deliver your vision.
    Your CEO is failing.
    In your almost 3 year ownership period, your CEO and her executive team have alienated at least half of your loyal customers (season ticket holders), match day attendances have dropped by several thousand, the team has gone from a position of respectability in the Championship to a mid-table position in a lower division and the club is not yet close to being economically sustainable.
    This business is being poorly run and I respectfully suggest something needs to change. Why should you continue with a "1.5% business" which gives you a disproportionately higher amount of grief. Is it worth it?
    Sincerely, WrightCharlie
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for everyone's contributions so far.

It would be great if anyone who wants a message to Roland could post up over the next few days. Difficult to manage the logistics if we don't know how many messages need to be delivered.

Many thanks

Neil
  • Options
    @Athletico Charlton often people want to both Like and LOL. Your message needs a Like and CRY option.