Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welcome Tom Rubashow - New CAFC Head of Comms

Comments

• Am I right that he has been heavily involved in Basketball?
  • Actually, is a communications person actually needed? Unless he is upgrading hardware such as the stadium Tannoy system.
    If Mel Baroni had stayed on what would she have actually been doing, been communicating? Has there been some kind of issue because she hasn't been around? I don't think I have missed events happening at the club just because a communications manager hasn't been communicating stuff.
    Maybe Mr Adamson and Mr Groome are having to work long and unsocial hours, and poor Tom is here to share the load, get those U18 clips up on CAFC Player a bit quicker...I dunno. I fail to see the need for this impending appointment, maybe the club is about to communicate why it is happening.
  • seth plum said:

Actually, is a communications person actually needed? Unless he is upgrading hardware such as the stadium Tannoy system.
    If Mel Baroni had stayed on what would she have actually been doing, been communicating? Has there been some kind of issue because she hasn't been around? I don't think I have missed events happening at the club just because a communications manager hasn't been communicating stuff.
    Maybe Mr Adamson and Mr Groome are having to work long and unsocial hours, and poor Tom is here to share the load, get those U18 clips up on CAFC Player a bit quicker...I dunno. I fail to see the need for this impending appointment, maybe the club is about to communicate why it is happening.

Presumably he'll be checking the communications to make sure that there's no snide remarks (ala the one in the statement about CO'L) and that there's nothing that will backfire (ala every other statement).

I think the poor git will have his work cutout for him, but then again - he has no excuse as he knew beforehand, unlike the likes of Baroni. Considering he had a good working knowledge of how messed up things are, it begs the question: why did he decide to come here?
  • seth plum said:

Am I right that he has been heavily involved in Basketball?

Looks like it Seth so it'll be from basketball to basket case, seems logical :smirk: .
  • So we have a new head of communications but the club have failed to communicate this fact?

Seems like our new head of communications has failed at the first hurdle. Time to exit methinks cos Roland doesn't do failure.
  • The link didn't work for but I got him trough the app.

Likes Basketball too apparently. Looks like he wrote an idea interesting essay on euthanasia for his GCSE too

He appears to be in favour of euthanasia from those essay extracts which, given Katrien's well documented self confessed virulent hatred of old Charlton fans obsessed with history, means he should fit into the regime just fine!

Wonder when that will 'disappear' from Google?
  • It's not really about communicating with us though is it. They need a PR wonk for damage limitation in the national press. It's part of the battle with CARD who make them look like mugs at every turn - announcing the sacking of the manager hours before the club can manage to release a half-arsed statement, for example.
  • edited November 2016
    LuckyReds said:

The Slade statement last Monday was issued by Tom Rubashow so I guess he was responsible for the O'Loughlin one too.

Hah. So he was there for the sly remark and a statement saying the club would issue no further communications on the matter.

You're off to a cracking start, Tom. Genuinely, well done - it's amazing how you've silently slipped in to your role - stealthy enough to trick us in to the belief that the club still didn't feel the need for a Head of Comms.
    LuckyReds said:

The Slade statement last Monday was issued by Tom Rubashow so I guess he was responsible for the O'Loughlin one too.

Hah. So he was there for the sly remark and a statement saying the club would issue no further communications on the matter.
    However the club did say that CO'L was not going to be the manager, so if fact they did make a further comment on the matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking into it more there's no way this guy is going to leave Pitch after numerous years and come and work for this bunch of fools. So i'd agree that it's likely he's being charged out by Pitch on a daily rate to Charlton. Him not changing his Linkedin profile also backs this up.

The 2 statements he's released so far have been pretty pathetic though, so whatever he's being charged out at, it's too much!
  • charge your battery up cwalsh'slovechild , thanks
  • edited November 2016
    There's usually something in agency staff contracts about leaving to join clients. And something in the clients contracts about poaching staff. Still it's not unusual for this to happen. Nearly all agency people move in-house at some point. It's just better hours and can be better money.

Just a few points to add:

:: The relationship between agency and client rarely works out when someone from the agency swaps jobs. Why would a former Pitch account manager need to work with a current Pitch account manager? He knows everything they do already.

:: I would expect someone with 7 years experience at the same agency to be an Associate Account Director at least. The fact he's still an AM says he must have some deficiencies that an Account Director has to cover for.

:: It will be a culture shock for this kid. Agency environments are pretty fast-moving and casual. He'll now be sitting in a boardroom listening to Keohane give a powerpoint on the price of hotdogs. Some people hate it and rush back to agencies.

:: It makes total sense for him to take this job. Charlton is a PR disaster - the club could not possibly get any worse. It's like a manager joining a team bottom of the table. If he improves things, his CV said he took a massive challenge and made something out of it. If he doesn't, they were already terrible before he joined and it's not seen as his fault.
  • What is a Rubashow anyway, is it like a fashion parade for latex fetishists?
  • Missed It said:

It's not really about communicating with us though is it. They need a PR wonk for damage limitation in the national press. It's part of the battle with CARD who make them look like mugs at every turn - announcing the sacking of the manager hours before the club can manage to release a half-arsed statement, for example.

Mel started engaging with fans straight away in attempt to understand the issues. She was never going to last.
  • I hope this bloke has got a thick skin
  • Your mind Rodders, honestly!
  • He probably thinks that this is a project worth taking on and things he can improve matters, however he may work out after a couple of months that this is too much and join the likes of Baroni, Hassan-Ali amongst many others getting out as quickly as possible.
  • edited November 2016
    As an account manager looking for a senior account manager role, with a very impressive dissertation on the use of Twitter as a tool to bridge the communications gap between football clubs and their supporters this appointment is very interesting to me.

I wonder if Pitch have somewhere I can store my principles.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016

imageAll in here...

I'd have got it but I cant read sideways!
  • If he is responsible for last weeks delayed announcement of Slade's sacking and the 'contrary to reports' follow up, he is showing a level of incompetency that makes me feel he'll fit right in with the SMT. They've maybe found the right man at last, and he's here for the long haul. Hope he checks his new desk drawers, there maybe some tat left over in them that can be flogged on ebay to pay for anything that may be needed.
  • cafc999 said:

I wonder how Pitch PR took that as well, I mean the club poaching staff like that cannot sit too well with Pitch

I did wonder that. Not the done thing to poach consultant staff like that but Cahones was working with Deleware and that turned out well.
    Maybe he is on secondment!
  • Kap10 said:

cafc999 said:

I wonder how Pitch PR took that as well, I mean the club poaching staff like that cannot sit too well with Pitch

I did wonder that. Not the done thing to poach consultant staff like that but Cahones was working with Deleware and that turned out well.
    Maybe he is on secondment!
    I'd be willing to bet good money that he is on secondment.
  • seth plum said:

Actually, is a communications person actually needed? Unless he is upgrading hardware such as the stadium Tannoy system.

There is a massive need for this appointment, if they listen as they did not to Mel. Our communication message over the last three years has made CAFC look like a bunch of dicks, the quality of the simplest things like typos in the review has gone down, not saying thats the fault of the people on the ground but they need a boss who can fight their corner and prioritise their workload, so that the message we put out is a higher standard and quality .. of course RD will interfere so it will continue to be shit. But yes there is a need.
  • Once Rubashow realises he's here to only protect KM's declining reputation and not actually work as a proper head of comms and work with the fans, he'll be off.
  • edited November 2016
    Let's see how he runs the Rubashow or if he is just another puppet show.

Genuinely though I do wish him luck as I do anyone that comes to our club as an employee.

If their luck benefits this football club, I'd be mad not to want it.

Olly isn't scum for having worked for this regime and I doubt Rubashow is scum either.
  • kafka said:

If you join scum, you become scum. Good luck mate.

Well why would we want to sign anyone in any role at the Valley?