Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Grand Tour

Out now on amazon prime! About to watch it. Can't wait.

N.B. if you 'couldn't care less' please feel free to refrain from opening the thread and carry on with your day.

Comments

• If they haven't changed it much from the top gear formula I'll be happy. It "works" for them and that's what they are best at - they've carved that niche.

If they go and try something all new it might take a bit of getting used to.

I'll give it a go over the weekend though
  • Ordered Amazon fire stick yesterday to watch this and hopefully cut back on the over priced Murdoch offering.
  • Is it the whole series on there now?
  • Swisdom said:

If they haven't changed it much from the top gear formula I'll be happy. It "works" for them and that's what they are best at - they've carved that niche.

I believe that due to potential infringement of intellectual property the format had to be changed quite dramatically, hence the break away from a Studio, no Star in a reasonably priced car, no 'tame' racing driver etc. Jeremy Clarkson has said they've also had to be careful about the characters they portray too. James for example isn't allowed to be 'Captain Slow'.

Top Gear has been in need of a revamp for some time though so hopefully they get it right. Looking forward to watching.
  • What I mean is hopefully it's more like the challenges and less of the guff that was getting tired so that all sounds good

Apparently James May is also not allowed to say cock.

Knowing Jeremy Clarkson and co-they would have found a cunning and devious ways to get around this that is just within the realms of legality but still an obvious swipe at the Beeb
  • Couldn't care less etc. ;-)

I knew someone would do this but I expected better from you @Callumcafc very disappointed.
  • Swisdom said:

If they haven't changed it much from the top gear formula I'll be happy. It "works" for them and that's what they are best at - they've carved that niche.

I believe that due to potential infringement of intellectual property the format had to be changed quite dramatically, hence the break away from a Studio, no Star in a reasonably priced car, no 'tame' racing driver etc. Jeremy Clarkson has said they've also had to be careful about the characters they portray too. James for example isn't allowed to be 'Captain Slow'.

Top Gear has been in need of a revamp for some time though so hopefully they get it right. Looking forward to watching.
    He's now called Captain Jacko!
  • With regards to the format. I haven't finished watching it so will wait until then before commenting on the new show.

I did watch an in detail interview with executive producer Andy Wilman. He talks in detail about the legal issues. It sounds like they've had a team of lawyers with them 24/7 which I'm sure was fun!

He said that the 3 of them in exotic places cocking about and being themselves will not change. That's just them being them. Obviously there's the odd thing they can't include e.g. guy in white coat with envelope etc. But James is allowed to say cock/be slow because that's him and no one owns the rights to that..

The main differences will be the studio. It moves around so there's no track so the leader boards etc have to be different.. they're filmed long in advance so the news doesn't really work anyway. But things like star on the he reasonably priced car will change...
  • Enjoyed it. Only the first episode but feels like there'll be more of a focus on the cars which is good. Wasn't much of the staged challenge stuff which I get very bored of by the end of their stint on Top Gear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not seen it but blinding reviews this morning.
  • Only watched the first 20 minutes so far but the opening sequence is glorious.
  • With regards to the format. I haven't finished watching it so will wait until then before commenting on the new show.

I did watch an in detail interview with executive producer Andy Wilman. He talks in detail about the legal issues. It sounds like they've had a team of lawyers with them 24/7 which I'm sure was fun!

He said that the 3 of them in exotic places cocking about and being themselves will not change. That's just them being them. Obviously there's the odd thing they can't include e.g. guy in white coat with envelope etc. But James is allowed to say cock/be slow because that's him and no one owns the rights to that..

The main differences will be the studio. It moves around so there's no track so the leader boards etc have to be different.. they're filmed long in advance so the news doesn't really work anyway. But things like star on the he reasonably priced car will change...

They do have a UK track, but they're no based there any more so it won't feature anywhere near as much
  • Now that The Grand Tour comes in 'box set' it just becomes another one of those things I'll never get round to watching.

It's lucky Attenborough is back on our teles or otherwise my Sunday evening would be a total mess.
  • It's not a box set it's one a week...
  • Swisdom said:

Apparently James May is also not allowed to say cock.

Knowing Jeremy Clarkson and co-they would have found a cunning and devious ways to get around this that is just within the realms of legality but still an obvious swipe at the Beeb

And Richard Hammond not allowed to be short
  • It's not a box set it's one a week...

I do wonder what the thinking was behind this. I can only think they know the format is quite repetitive and offering the chance to binge watch would mean people get bored quite quickly.
  • Going to see them in Dubai in a couple of weeks when they do the live audience bit. Can't wait tickets were free as well!
  • Watched it this morning and loved it been on the 2nd episode
  • Is there a stream or download for cheapskates?

I believe it can be found on Kodi.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

It's not a box set it's one a week...

I do wonder what the thinking was behind this. I can only think they know the format is quite repetitive and offering the chance to binge watch would mean people get bored quite quickly.
    Andy Wilman basically said this. And that because there is no continuous thread or plot so it's not like anyone would finish one and go 'I wanna know what happens next!' That just doesn't happen so spread it out.
  • Loved it

Google Proxy Bunker and it will give links to loads of unlocked Torrent sites.

Google Proxy Bunker and it will give links to loads of unlocked Torrent sites.
  • Absolute class
  • Cannot wait to watch this tomorrow..heard some fantastic reviews, even from people who are not fans of the old top gear. Looks like the bbc did them a favour.
  • Properly good watching, enough digs at the beeb without seeming bitter and petty (unlike Evans) the dicking about is still the same as always, but the production and editing just felt a bit slicker than when on the beeb. Having it based in different places each week is great, and the new top secret race track (old airfield in Wroughton, near Swindon) looks decent
  • edited November 2016
    Liking having a different location for audience each week. Gives a better atmosphere than standing inside what appeared to be a moron storage facility exclusively for 44-year old Arsenal fans, some of who wear 'I AM THE STIG' t-shirts.
  • Fiiish said:

Liking having a different location for audience each week. Gives a better atmosphere than standing inside what appeared to be a moron storage facility exclusively for 44-year old Arsenal fans, some of who wear 'I AM THE STIG' t-shirts.

I make you right, although they made obvious efforts to move the less horrific looking birds to the front towards the end. When it first relaunched in the new format the audience looked like the subaru owners club in the bar scene from star wars