Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unveiling of memorial to the Charlton fallen of the Great War - Saturday 19th November 2016

2»

Comments

• Very good.
    Only gripe the speakers difficult to hear at the back. But the sentiment very clear.
    Well done all involved.
  • Apologies if not loud enough but busy car park not ideal.

Glad to see so many people there.
  • Well done to @Henry Irving and the other speakers. A fitting tribute.
  • It was a moving ceremony which I thought was just right, and club staff who attended were respectfully accepted and respectful in their attendance.
    It was a neutral cease fire event whilst it happened, and reminded us that there is a core of decency around the club which is only to be expected.
  • Great service put on the pitch prior to the match starting. (I didnt attend the one outside the West Stand)

Now I have utmost respect for these events but it was a little bit embarrassing the way the 100 balloons were packed i.e. when they were released it wasnt done very smoothly and the last was almost thrown into the air in frustration... Please dont think I'm mocking the situation though and liked how the club explained that everything was done because of it being the last day of the Somme.

I didnt realise that and thought it was just another Remembrance Weekend act to show that Charlton werent missing out on showing their respect so well done in explaining that too
  • Great tributes by all that spoke of the 3 players and surrounding community affected.
  • Thank you to all the speakers and members of the Armed Forces there. Very emotional and a fitting memorial to the fallen. It may have been mentioned before, so sorry, but the stone reminded me of those in the war cemetries I have visited near Ypres, is it the same?
  • I believe it is Portland stone as used in Flanders too.
  • Great service put on the pitch prior to the match starting. (I didnt attend the one outside the West Stand)

Now I have utmost respect for these events but it was a little bit embarrassing the way the 100 balloons were packed i.e. when they were released it wasnt done very smoothly and the last was almost thrown into the air in frustration... Please dont think I'm mocking the situation though and liked how the club explained that everything was done because of it being the last day of the Somme.

I didnt realise that and thought it was just another Remembrance Weekend act to show that Charlton werent missing out on showing their respect so well done in explaining that too

Yes, he commemoration on the pitch was very well done other than the balloons.
  • seth plum said:

I believe it is Portland stone as used in Flanders too.

Thanks, Seth, I thought it was and it seems very fitting that it was chosen to link them to their place of resting.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I believe it is Portland stone as used in Flanders too.

Did you notice the chip out of it that happened when it fell out of the back of a lorry?

;-)

• Thanks to all involved in the ceremony. It was moving and beautifully observed. Some things are more important than football.
  • Lovely thing to do :smile:

Any pics of the memorial please?
  • The memorials today
  • Well done to all concerned, wonderful plaque. I could not hear very well either, but the occasion was one not to be missed. Thanks to all who made it happen.
  • Any more photos?
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Thanks to everyone who came out today to see the short service and also @Pico and @Henry Irving for their contributions. It was a privilage to bring the memory of the boys back home after a hundred years.

It is Portland Stone with Eric Gills font that he designed specifically for the CWGC, we were lucky to secure both as I believe they are a very dignified way of remembering out fallen Addicks, the turn out today and help from supporters that led to this show what a quality fan base we have.

Lest we forget

Unable to make it but thoughts were there.

Also gutted I missed out on climbing all over the 25 pounder

Fantastic work guys. Really appreciated.

• A few images from yesterdays excellent unveiling of the plaque remembering the brave lads who served their country and tragically lost their lives.
    A big thank you to the Charlton Museum and all those involved in the research and production of this lasting tribute.
  • Sponsored links:

• @AsianZidane OK if I nick these for the museum twitter?
  • Ok for you to use these photos for your museum twitter.
    regards Asian Zidane.
  • edited November 2016
    imageimage

Sorry folks, something went wrong with the uploading.
    It was a moving ceremony, and good to see Port Vale players who died in the Great War remembered as well.
  • Well done, a Valiant effort.