Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

****Confirmed: Russell Slade Sacked****

1262728293032»

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

clb74 said:

Would swap Robinson for slade in a heartbeat

No chance
    Robinson is tactically lightyears ahead of Slade. His recruitment is far better. The way he looks to play football is vastly superior. Obviously he has his faults but Slade was...really bad in my opinion. When your legacy is changing the tables in the canteen...yeah.

Also, remember what he did to Louis with the petulant "see how patient we're being" thing? I thought that was completely unacceptable. Louis is a professional journalist. Louis is also a supporter who spends a ridiculous amount of his free time doing a Charlton podcast twice a week. Because it became such a joke I thought Slade got off easy in terms of fans' eire.

Oh, and just thinking about it, remember how he handled the Roger Johnson thing? Kind of mealy mouthed "well he apologized to me" or something like that.

Yeah, no thanks.
    Yes, the way he treated the Roger Johnson affair was a disaster. If he had made RJ grovel in public to US, then the whole affair would at least have been closed and we could all move on. Instead it made RJ virtually unpickable
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

clb74 said:

No chance
    Robinson is tactically lightyears ahead of Slade. His recruitment is far better. The way he looks to play football is vastly superior. Obviously he has his faults but Slade was...really bad in my opinion. When your legacy is changing the tables in the canteen...yeah.

Also, remember what he did to Louis with the petulant "see how patient we're being" thing? I thought that was completely unacceptable. Louis is a professional journalist. Louis is also a supporter who spends a ridiculous amount of his free time doing a Charlton podcast twice a week. Because it became such a joke I thought Slade got off easy in terms of fans' eire.

Oh, and just thinking about it, remember how he handled the Roger Johnson thing? Kind of mealy mouthed "well he apologized to me" or something like that.

Yeah, no thanks.
    Yes, the way he treated the Roger Johnson affair was a disaster. If he had made RJ grovel in public to US, then the whole affair would at least have been closed and we could all move on. Instead it made RJ virtually unpickable
    Well, Roger Johnson being shit also made Roger Johnson unpickable...

But yeah, RoJo comes out, says "sorry, it was the heat of the moment in a tight game" I think we all go "alright, it happens," and move on from that incident. But as you say Slade made the situation worse.
  • Options

Still better than Gobinson

Sorry, that is inane. Did you see us under Slade? You didn't notice the improvement under Robinson. We even started winning matches.
    ffs.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I'm beginning to think this is a WUM conspiracy send from that other place.
    Or clb never watched a match under Slade.
    I may have to take a break, it's winding me up.
  • Options
    One win in 14 games means soon to be followed by Pardew.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One win in 14 games means soon to be followed by Pardew.

The only new PL manager who hasn't improved the performance of the team from his predecessor...
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Sorry, that is inane. Did you see us under Slade? You didn't notice the improvement under Robinson. We even started winning matches.
    ffs.
    Yes I did, and I wasn't a big fan, but Robinson record was no better than Slades last season, who knows how much of the recruitment was down to Slade that year not much in my opinion.

When he was sacked we were on a good run Swindon apart.

Gobinson has over seen some of the worst performances I have ever watched. He sticks with his one and only formation which doesn't work in this division, every other team knows exactly how we will set up and shut us down.

He has know idea how to change the team during a match.

His star signing was Ben Reeves do I need to say more.
  • Options
    So how exactly was Slade better than him then, like you suggested?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Didn't buy and keep playing Reeves for a start.
    Kept his mouth shut about Roland.

We were getting better when he was sacked because someone ruined Roland birthday meal.

New how to shut out a game when winning.

• Options
    edited February 2018

JamesSeed said:

ffs.
    Yes I did, and I wasn't a big fan, but Robinson record was no better than Slades last season, who knows how much of the recruitment was down to Slade that year not much in my opinion.

Gobinson has over seen some of the worst performances I have ever watched. He sticks with his one and only formation which doesn't work in this division, every other team knows exactly how we will set up and shut us down.

Robinson is running at a point a game over the last quarter of this season & was equally poor last season - neither him or Slade are good enough. Mediocre lower level managers at best - we need better when the takeover goes through.
  • Options

cafctom said:

We were getting better when he was sacked because someone ruined Roland birthday meal.

He had no idea how to manage a side trying to get promotion (because he hasn't achieved it in 20 odd seasons).

He was absolutely terrified of trying to win a game in case we lost. Absolutely epitome of middle of the road, mid-table performances.

He could have managed us for 2-3 years and wouldn't have got us promoted, and probably not even tried to.

Karl Robinson at least gives us half a chance.

You mention Ben Reeves, who hasn't worked out - but you neglect mentioning the likes of Tarique Fosu, Ben Amos, Jay DaSilva etc who have done well.

There's a reason why Slade has just been sacked by Grimsby mate - he isn't very good.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

You’re having a laugh! Slade was a joke. The last 18 months tell you all you need to know. Sacked by us, sacked by Coventry and sacked by Grimsby.
  • Options

You’re having a laugh! Slade was a joke.
    Robbos a joke
  • Options
    I always thought Russell looked a bit like a man who knew he was just too heavy for the inflatable raft he was in, but who somehow hoped that if he stayed optimistic, and kept staring straight ahead at the land in the distance, he might SOMEHOW not sink well before he got there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

He had no idea how to manage a side trying to get promotion (because he hasn't achieved it in 20 odd seasons).

He was absolutely terrified of trying to win a game in case we lost. Absolutely epitome of middle of the road, mid-table performances.

He could have managed us for 2-3 years and wouldn't have got us promoted, and probably not even tried to.

Karl Robinson at least gives us half a chance.

You mention Ben Reeves, who hasn't worked out - but you neglect mentioning the likes of Tarique Fosu, Ben Amos, Jay DaSilva etc who have done well.

There's a reason why Slade has just been sacked by Grimsby mate - he isn't very good.
    It should be noted Reeves is a proven player at this level, and a talented one to boot. He has not been good for us yet, but he also hasn't really had a consistent run in the team. The notion that Robinson keeps playing him simply isn't true, Reeves seems to be last or near last in the pecking order of attacking players at the moment, and I don't think he would have started Saturday if Kaikai or Zyro were judged to be 90 minutes fit.

Agree with everything you say Tom.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

You must mean a Slade LP surely? ;)
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I understand football can be very subjective, as you can ascertain just by looking at the player marks thread on this very forum here.

But I really do find this one hard to get around. I understand Robinson rubs lots of people up the wrong way with his persona, but in terms of football style, player recruitment/management and tactical prowess I just can't see how you can have Slade as better than Robinson.

Maybe I'm just not patient enough.

• Options
    Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

ffs.

Robinson is running at a point a game over the last quarter of this season & was equally poor last season - neither him or Slade are good enough. Mediocre lower level managers at best - we need better when the takeover goes through.
    Couldn't agree more as I said I was no fan of Slade. Just think he was better than Gobinson who can't even talk a good game let alone manage one.

Bring on the takeover and get SCP back
  • Options
    Its a close one to call but I'd prefer Karel Fraeye over both.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

ffs.

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Our worst run this season is what, equal to or slightly worse than Slade's? I'd go look it up but I don't want to be called Thomas Driesen and accused of using too many stats.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

You’re having a laugh! Slade was a joke.
    Robbos a joke
    Come on, the football under Slade was miserable. He started off with the horror show at Bury and ended it with one against Swindon (a game that we actually could have had postponed due to international call ups). Those games pretty much summed up his tenure imo. We had one game against Shrewsbury (who were dreadful) where we looked good, the rest of it was pretty shite.

Gillingham away was another performance that’s stands out as being dire - he was absolutely clueless.

I don’t think Robinson is a a particularly good manager, but we have at least tried to play a bit. Slade was negetive, inept and had no passion whatsoever.....he just stood on the side of the pitch with his arms folded. I do remember him getting really excited one game though....he doffed his cap to the covered end.
  • Options
    Slade was shite
    Robinson is only slightly better.
    When the takeover happens we will need a new manager to take us forward because Robinson is a one trick pony who has been sussed out by other managers in this league