Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"IN FLANDERS' FIELDS"

I have been absolutely appalled by some comments about poppies and minutes silence being absent on Saturday.

To me, this is 1) People using the serious matter of remembrance weekend to justify their own agenda. In which case, shame on you. Or 2) People getting on their high horse in ignorance of what Remembrance Day is all about. Which is probably even worse.

So, a quick history lesson:

The British Legion (as was, now the Royal British Legion) was formed in 1921. The person behind its formation was Field Marshall Earl Haig, commander of Commonwealth forces in World War I. It was formed to supply aid to those who either died, or survived "The War to end All Wars". It has since, quite correctly, expanded its remit to cover all those who have been affected by war. The reason for the poppies, is that according to the poem 'in Flanders' Fields', written a the Canadian Doctor, Lt. Col. John MaCrae, poppies were the first flowers to grow on the graves of the fallen on the muddy fields in Flanders.

The First World War officially ended at 11:00 on the 11th of November 1918. So, the number 11 is very important for all aspects of remembrance day. Which is why, there is 2 minutes silence at 11 o'clock on the 11th of November.

This is followed by the traditional remembrance concert on Saturday at the Albert Hall. And on Sunday, by the traditional Remembrance Day memorial at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

So, no, there were no poppies on shirts on Saturday. Or a minute's silence. As that would have been WRONG. NEXT weekend is Remembrance Weekend.

And, as the Charlton - Swindon game issuing televised, I will be proud that Charlton will be one of the first Football League teams to a) be wearing their shirts with the traditional poppies, and b) stand arm in arm for the minute's silence before kick off...

Comments

• Options
    Agreed... Am sorry but can understand the Premier League games having a minute silence prior to their games because with no games next weekend they wouldnt get a chance to show their respect but its NOT Remembrance Weekend so no need to be done.

i.e. Had we been away in the FA Cup surely our best chance to show respect would have been the Chesterfield League game a whole two weeks prior to the event!!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I have been absolutely appalled by some comments about poppies and minutes silence being absent on Saturday.

To me, this is 1) People using the serious matter of remembrance weekend to justify their own agenda. In which case, shame on you. Or 2) People getting on their high horse in ignorance of what Remembrance Day is all about. Which is probably even worse.

The British Legion (as was, now the Royal British Legion) was formed in 1921. The person behind its formation was Field Marshall Earl Haig, commander of Commonwealth forces in World War I. It was formed to supply aid to those who either died, or survived "The War to end All Wars". It has since, quite correctly, expanded its remit to cover all those who have been affected by war. The reason for the poppies, is that according to the poem 'in Flanders' Fields', written a the Canadian Doctor, Lt. Col. John MaCrae, poppies were the first flowers to grow on the graves of the fallen on the muddy fields in Flanders.

The First World War officially ended at 11:00 on the 11th of November 1918. So, the number 11 is very important for all aspects of remembrance day. Which is why, there is 2 minutes silence at 11 o'clock on the 11th of November.

This is followed by the traditional remembrance concert on Saturday at the Albert Hall. And on Sunday, by the traditional Remembrance Day memorial at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

So, no, there were no poppies on shirts on Saturday. Or a minute's silence. As that would have been WRONG. NEXT weekend is Remembrance Weekend.

And, as the Charlton - Swindon game issuing televised, I will be proud that Charlton will be one of the first Football League teams to a) be wearing their shirts with the traditional poppies, and b) stand arm in arm for the minute's silence before kick off...

@East_Stand_Loopy standloopy Quite right. It was wrong to try and score points about the team not wearing poppies on Saturday.

Which is why I think Sue Parks was very wrong to blame fans not attending and the subsequent loss of income for there being no poppies on the shirt due to lack of funds. A very cheap and false statement to score points.

As someone who is personally involved in events to remember our fallen from WW1 at Armed Forces day it is a real shame that it has come to this.
    Only one word for Mrs Perks' latest take on things which she is very familiar with , 'disgusting'.
  • Options
    i took my two boys13 and 14 to ypres last easter . we went on a battlefield tour . they did not speak for 3 hours it was an amazing trip and everyone should if they can afford it go there .
    to see all the names does bring a tear to your eye .
  • Options
    I've posted this before but the Menin Gate alone has 54,000 names on it (including my Great Uncle).

To get some perspective as to just how many people that is imagine The Valley full to capacity and then imagine another Valley full to capacity.
  • Options
    And so it begins...

@East_Stand_Loopy standloopy Quite right. It was wrong to try and score points about the team not wearing poppies on Saturday.

Which is why I think Sue Parks was very wrong to blame fans not attending and the subsequent loss of income for there being no poppies on the shirt due to lack of funds. A very cheap and false statement to score points.

As someone who is personally involved in events to remember our fallen from WW1 at Armed Forces day it is a real shame that it has come to this.
    I did not call anyone out. I did not name names. As I made clear, I don't care if it is politics, or ignorance. Why did you not call out any of the protesters who have criticised the management for not producing poppy shirts?
    RedChaser said:

Only one word for Mrs Perks' latest take on things which she is very familiar with , 'disgusting'.
    But, presumably, it is not so 'disgusting' if done by someone who is anti-regime?

I started thus thread, in support of something that should be important to ANYONE, regardless of race, creed, religion, or culture.

NOT as a pro or anti regime thread.

And I object to it being hi-jacked as such...
  • Options

And so it begins...

I did not call anyone out. I did not name names. As I made clear, I don't care if it is politics, or ignorance. Why did you not call out any of the protesters who have criticised the management for not producing poppy shirts?
    RedChaser said:

But, presumably, it is not so 'disgusting' if done by someone who is anti-regime?

I started thus thread, in support of something that should be important to ANYONE, regardless of race, creed, religion, or culture.

I didn't start this thread, you did.

I was agreeing with you that it was wrong to score points on this topic.

But now you are blaming me for not calling out "protesters" or "anti-regime"

I haven't seen any "protesters" saying this but you have revealed your true purpose for posting ie yet again blaming the "protesters" for everything and anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016

And so it begins...

RedChaser said:

Strange.

It seems like its you thats after an argument.
    And it was ever thus. Did you see what I did there @East_Stand_Loopy I made a very glib presumption.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Agreed... Am sorry but can understand the Premier League games having a minute silence prior to their games because with no games next weekend they wouldnt get a chance to show their respect but its NOT Remembrance Weekend so no need to be done.

i.e. Had we been away in the FA Cup surely our best chance to show respect would have been the Chesterfield League game a whole two weeks prior to the event!!

agree with the majority of this .. it was gratifying this weekend to see so many foreign players standing in silence, arm in arm along with their British colleagues with heads bowed in honour of the fallen ..
    at this time of year so far as I am concerned there can't be too many instances of remembrance .. from November 1st to 11th should be a time for reflection and thanksgiving that most of us have escaped the horrors of industrialised warfare..
    after all Christmas is supposed to last for twelve days and that's after three months of shopping and advertising, surely eleven days of remembrance is not too much to ask

as an aside, the Science Museum has a terrific exhibition of medical advances and techniques relating to World War One as well as the associated horrors inflicted on the wounded .. well worth a visit .. I think it's still on, I will be going again at the end of the month if it is

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/themes/war
  • Options
    Chill everyone I like a good old argument but this ain't the thread to score points of one another. I've visited the war cemeteries in France several times indeed i have relative's buried there.
    Argue on a different thread please
  • Options
    OP, or someone, could you provide the context here please? I mean this genuinely, who do you feel is using this to forward their own agenda? I understand poppies and remembrance day but don't understand the point of contention.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, just genuinely trying to understand.
  • Options

If you go abroad for a short break this year, jump on the Eurostar and go to Ypres. The old Cloth Hall has been turned into the Flanders Fields museum. An amazing place and it truly brings home the complete horror that was the Western Front in 1914-18.Then attend the playing of the Last Post at the Menin Gate memorial just up the road at 18.00hrs, played by the local fire brigade . Spend ten minutes reading the names. Thousands and thousands of them. All with no known grave. Just ordinary blokes who gave the ultimate sacrifice.I guarantee you will not leave there without having tears rolling down your face. When I was there, there was a group of really hard looking English blokes. All shaven heads and bulldog tats. They were blubbing like little kids by the end.
    If you have a second day, there are dozens of Commonwealth War Graves Cemeteries all over the immediate area. All immaculate. No differention. Privates buried next to Generals. All the same size headstone. Again, I guarantee you won't leave without tears in your eyes.
    And when you get home, put a tenner in the poppy collection box and thank your lucky stars it wasn't you that went through this.

I was out there only 2 weeks ago. It was my third visit but first for my wife. The Last Post at the Menin Gate at 20:00 was, as usual, impeccable. Cloth Hall museum is excellent and I also recommend the museums at Passchendaele and Sanctuary Wood (near Hill 62). Picked up a quite fantastic book a couple of years ago that allows you to either follow their recommended tours in the book or build your own tour using the sat nav coordinates they provide. The book is called 'Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to Ypres Salient and Passchendaele'. It's generally regarded as one of the best available. Planning on returning again in May.
  • Options
    Great post by Rugby Addick.Spend a few days in Bruges and visit Ypres - its very moving.Lest we forget
  • Options
    Although both my sons have been, I feel almost ashamed to say that in all my 60 years I haven't.

That will be corrected very soon.
  • Options
    Spent a few days in Ypre and Ghent in August. Did a battlefield tour of the south sailent i think it was. Incredible place, would love to go back one day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Announced yesterday that there will be special commemoration ceremonies this year for the 100 year anniversary of The Battle of Passchendaele (July - November 1917). The events will be on the 30th and 31st July when a ceremony will take place at the Menin Gate in Ypres and at Tyne Cot Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery.

Soon as I heard it I got on line and managed to book a reasonably priced hotel in Ypres.
  • Options
    Visited Tyne Cot, the Ypres museum and Menin Gate many times with groups of children I taught. They were always so moved by the enormity of the cemetery but also how beautifully it is maintained. The whole day was such an enlightening experience for them, but then to see the numbers on The Menin Gate and hear the last post, they were overwhelmed. It is one thing to talk about the war in school or even watch clips but the reality hits them hard.
    We also visited a German cemetery nearby, Langemark, and the stark contrast of the dark stone used and the space allocated for the graves, was very evocative of the feelings felt after the war.
    Should be emotional days but so pleased the fallen are being remembered on this anniversary.
  • Options

When @SE7toSG3 has time we'll run a museum trip to the Western Front.

Count me in.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Anyone visiting the Salient for the Centenary there is a new memorial being unveiled just north of St Julian towards the Toten Muhle for the Hertfordshire Regiment on the 31 July.

The regiment captured all thier objectives that day but suffered 600 casualties. We have a number of descendants of soldiers attending and expecting 200 people.

There are free guided walks around St Julian being led by some of our guides and being some distance from Tynecot & the Menin Gate where the Royals will be expect no road closures or restricted access.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Anyone visiting the Salient for the Centenary there is a new memorial being unveiled just north of St Julian towards the Toten Muhle for the Hertfordshire Regiment on the 31 July.

The regiment captured all thier objectives that day but suffered 600 casualties. We have a number of descendants of soldiers attending and expecting 200 people.

There are free guided walks around St Julian being led by some of our guides and being some distance from Tynecot & the Menin Gate where the Royals will be expect no road closures or restricted access.

By coincidence, I was reading about this very action by the 39th division last night. I was struck by the stark sentence " The Hertfordshires, however, were cut down by machine-gun fire."
  • Options
    A few of us are going to Arras this year, the main purpose of the visit is for a car show but it's the 100th anniversary of the battle there and one of the guys going has a relative who died in action and is buried in the cemetery. Will also try and find time to see the caves. have been there before but well worth another visit.
  • Options
    Going to visit in April, got a local fella who is going to guide us on the walks etc, really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    This website has a load of the walks
    www.militaria1418.com
  • Options

When @SE7toSG3 has time we'll run a museum trip to the Western Front.

This would be a fantastic thing. Is there any information of if and when yet ?