Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Case For Boycotting Or Not.

13»

Comments

• Options

Personally don't think the boycotts will touch him - a ground full of protestors seems to be more effective.
    I fear a lot of our support will never return even with a change of ownership.

If the incoming owner(s) play their cards right , work with supporters as in the good old days, revamp KM's infamous "matchday experience" AND get the team playing positive & increasingly successful football, then , as Kevin Costner said " they will come" (back).

The kind of incentives that the earlier incumbents offered with the expertise of Rick & Wendy would be re-employed , no doubt with further additions/refinements to tempt the waverers into returning home, and with them hooked, a new generation of young 'uns - the future lifeblood of our club.

A well run football club with respect on both sides of the table, some much needed investment in players & coaches suitable for the task in hand and a cunning plan/achievable goal season on season would inevitably turn the tide.

I'm not suggesting this would happen overnight - even my rose tinted contact lenses don't foresee miracles- but surely ANY owner worth his/her salt would realise the potential of a club such as ours at the time of purchase & due diligence , hence be prepared to do whatever it takes to rebuild the shell of a once famous club.

But this time, with love.
    Exactly. The blueprint to make this club successful is so obvious, because we have seen it here before.
    It's when it's a good idea to care about the history of a club, so you build on what you have already in place and don't bring it all tumbling down by reckless and unnecessary mistakes...
  • Options
    I share lots of sensai sentiments. I would agree to break my boycott for one match only. Based on everybody else agreeing to do so. Sheffield united would be ideal or wait for a £5 game so the club get less income. If we have 4K boycotters and they bring a guest we could crank up the protest. Fill the lower west and make Kate and Tony squirm.
  • Options
    You cant win a fight by walking away from it.
  • Options
    Was going to spend time and electricity in expounding why I am not going to The Valley very much now, but sod it, it's my choice and that's it.

And anyway, something more pressing...

We went to see Jersey Boys tonight to celebrate Mr F's 70th tomorrow & thoroughly enjoyed it.

happy birthday Mr F!
  • Options
    I spoke yesterday at work to a chap who lives in the Midlands and supports Arsenal. He knew all about our situation and loved hearing about the pink pigs and the Coventry joint protest.

We both agreed that it was hard to understand why an overseas owner would buy a club and then run it into the ground racking up big losses. I live in Hampshire and have had quite a few similar conversations over the last few months, which tells me that more and more football fans are aware of our situation.

I don't think that the argument that those who are staying away should regularly return has any traction. Better to target a particular match and concentrate the protest 'resources'. I'd certainly come back for a protest match and would bring my grand-daughter again.

However, we wouldn't sit in the Lower West, didn't enjoy the (lack of) atmosphere at all and found it depressing.

• Options
    markmc68 said:

I share lots of sensai sentiments. I would agree to break my boycott for one match only. Based on everybody else agreeing to do so. Sheffield united would be ideal or wait for a £5 game so the club get less income. If we have 4K boycotters and they bring a guest we could crank up the protest. Fill the lower west and make Kate and Tony squirm.

If seeking to create the greatest possible disruption for one game, would the best plan not be to get as many of those coming to a one off protest match as possible to look to purchase their tickets at the ground on the day? I know it would be extra money for each ticket, but it would create additional difficulties for the club, including crowding, and isn't that the sort of thing that gets the authorities to delay kick off.
  • Options

The one sure thing is that there is no easy answer. Like many others I have been a supporter for many years, my dad once told me I saw Stanley Matthews play at the Valley, but I have never known an atmosphere quite like now, not the Gliksten years or days ground sharing. I don't go as often now, not particularly as a direct protest but more about the atmosphere around the club. I share Cabbies dads worries / thoughts:

A - we would go under if it weren't for RD's money - how many of us were positive when he first came in
    B - we could get sold to an even bigger bunch of twats - a real worry with all that is happening in football now. The only thing I would feel confident in is we surely would not have as many `second rate' managers imposed on us
    C - he just wants to watch the game and support the team - like many of us

There have been some positives in the pitch, ground and hopefully, training area. I am probably also one of the very few that did not mind the sofa as the kids picked that sat there loved it which can not be all bad.

My last game was away at Gillingham and the football was bad enough but the actions and attitude of a fair number of our supporters towards stewards (who I thought were trying to be helpful and friendly) was embarrassing. I really felt for the two elderly ladies we were sat next to.

I am not sure what my next game will be, or how the sorry saga can possibly end in a result that gives us back a united club and support

A - It could be argued we are in a worse position now than when he took over. Whilst we were losing money and were in need of a backer, the money put in by Duchatelet has been loaded on to the club as debt. The regime constantly talk about how much they've put in, but there has been no benefit on the pitch and there are now a lot more negatives on the balance sheet.

B - Yes we could. But equally we could get someone who wants to make something of the club. The protests are a clear warning for any future owner that fans are not going to tolerate poor management of the club.

C - It's hard to argue against that point, but there is always a fear that there will not be a club to support at all if things keep going south.
  • Options

markmc68 said:

If seeking to create the greatest possible disruption for one game, would the best plan not be to get as many of those coming to a one off protest match as possible to look to purchase their tickets at the ground on the day? I know it would be extra money for each ticket, but it would create additional difficulties for the club, including crowding, and isn't that the sort of thing that gets the authorities to delay kick off.
    Flashmob!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    markmc68 said:

Good idea. I would break my boycott for this (£5 game would be best) but otherwise I will continue with my fishing and and a new hobby,Airsoft.
  • Options

TEL said:

I genuinely believed enough was enough and they were virtually taking the piss out of Charlton and more importantly, Charlton supporters. Nothing has changed my mind since, in fact certain things have hardened my view and I can't for the life of me understand how others don't see that.
    This 100%.

• Options
    boggzy said:

TEL said:

I genuinely believed enough was enough and they were virtually taking the piss out of Charlton and more importantly, Charlton supporters. Nothing has changed my mind since, in fact certain things have hardened my view and I can't for the life of me understand how others don't see that.
    This 100%.

They don't want supporters just football tourists. Anyone with an emotional attachment to the club is seen as a pain in the arse to be got rid off. Bit like constructive dismissal,make life hard and they will jack it in.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    An all out Geoffrey...only way to go now. Slowly happening due to match day experience.
  • Options
    never been a fan of Geoffrey.

Lucky not to have seen him play although there's no doubting his mentality at the wicket.

He has a memorable accent.

A total Geoffrey seems like a mainly unpleasant proposition.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I think that one of the prime benefits of boycotting followed by an 'Amnesty' is that it highlights to Roland and others that the fanbase is still intact and this will surely encourage potential takeovers.
    It also has the benefit of isolating the reason for the supporter's unrest rather than allowing CM or TK to allude to match results and relegation as being the prime reasons for the fall in attendances. This might then be viewed differently by RD as he's probably fed loads of shite by our SMT.
    We should really look at this and boycott all games up to Sheff Utd, even if you hold a season ticket. Let's really show them that we reason we aren't attending is because we want them out, not results. We can sing 'We're only here cause we hate you, here cause we hate you, we're only here cause we hate you"
    Anything less than this will simply allow them to deny responsibility and attribute poor attendances to poor results and fickle law breaking supporters.
    BOYCOTT NOW then AMNESTY !!!!

• Options
    You will never get a proper boycott off the ground as many have said the hard core of fans that attend go for reasons other than the actual game. A drink with mates, watch the game with dad etc.

A vast majority of posters on here will not boycott and attend all the games.

Boycotting is a personal option, it is not something that can be arranged en mass.
  • Options
    We'd have to go down again before we saw published 5,000 crowds.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Russia beat the Germans by retreating in WW2. Deciding when, where and how to fight is the way to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If only Duchatelet would get rid of Meire and Driesen he'd have a better chance of winning at least some of the fans over.

He must have instructed the SMT to appoint a suitable manager, he must have instructed them to stop using network players, so some the wrongs have already been righted.

If he appointed a proper CEO and let Driesen go, and then allowed Slade to invest in the January transfer window, what then? Wouldn't he then be seen as a more acceptable owner by some?

Unfortunately I'm fairly sure this won't happen, as he doesn't seem interested in running the club in a conventional way. Getting rid of Meire and Driesen would be an admission of failure. Or might he see it as a way out of he current predicament?
  • Options
    Driesen may be lurking somewhere in the background, but the summer signings do seem to be largely Slade's work, and contain a number of experienced "journeyman" pros, like Pearce, Crofts, Foley and Novak who aren't likely to generate a transfer profit (unlike the failed gambles which we've previously taken on young "potential")
  • Options
    I've not attended since the trip to Sheffield Utd in the cup, my only connection to Charlton now days is this place. I used to travel up from Devon 7/8 times a season, I've since moved near hitchin and I still have no enthusiasm to travel 2 hours and partake in the tripe we see now
  • Options
    I don't usually like talking about boycotts, because there are so many shades of grey in people's attitude and motivations in attending/not attending matches, and so many will simply turn up anyway.

But I'd get fully behind a boycott of the MK Dons cup match.

I don't think I'd go anyway, even if we were owned by a generous philanthropist, because the Franchise get a share of gate money, but I do wonder quite how anyone who cares about football clubs and their communities would happily hand over money to both Roland Duchatelet and Pete Winkleman in one transaction.
  • Options
    From what I've heard most of the profits in Jimmy's day (big gates and lowly paid players) went straight to Glicksten Towers.
    We can all dream of rich benefactors 'putting something back into the community', but that's unlikely to be the reality for the foreseeable future.
    But I guess we can always dream.