Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ajose Charltonised?

25 goals last season then he pulls on a Charlton shirt. Missed a couple of really good chances yesterday, to add to even more previously. Charltonisation confirmed?

Comments

• Options
    If the lazy Kent moved more, and actually jumped , he may of scored more than he has
  • Options
    You can see his frustration when he isn't taking those chances. I think it's a combination of not falling for him at the moment, not playing to his strengths well enough and him knowing we aren't going to create too many good opportunities for him to score.

He will definitely go on a little run at some point, getting 5/6 in 4 games or so and suddenly he will look a top striker.

Essentially, we need to be getting the ball into the box more, we need to be getting it into his feet, and he needs to stay between the width of the goal in the box and he will get enough goals to keep people quiet.

Still expecting him to get around 15-20 this season.
  • Options
    He'll come good before Sheff Utd.
  • Options
    Feeding off scraps at moment. Should have had 2 yesterday. I actually think the one that hit the post was a poor miss.

I'd like to see him put a run of games together and judge him on that. It's been a bit stop start for him.

No doubt if he scored 4 in 4, Slade would bench him.
  • Options
    In regards to the second chance on Saturday...

How many headers has he actually scored in his career? - Some Strikers are just shite with their head and everytime he jumps for the ball I have no confidence that he'll win one
  • Options

How many headers has he actually scored in his career? - Some Strikers are just shite with their head and everytime he jumps for the ball I have no confidence that he'll win one

Only one of his goals last season was a header.
  • Options

Exactly this, and how many of his goals were from him being around 0-12 yards out somewhere between the posts, probably around 90% I'm guessing? He's a bit of a fox in the box in some respects, needs game time and the goals will come.
  • Options

Feeding off scraps at moment. Should have had 2 yesterday. I actually think the one that hit the post was a poor miss.

I'd like to see him put a run of games together and judge him on that. It's been a bit stop start for him.

No doubt if he scored 4 in 4, Slade would bench him.

Made me laugh, but so true..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He hasnt hit the ground running as we all hoped he would after his goal tally in this league last year but I like his attitude and if he keeps putting in the effort the goals will come. He's more involved in games than earlier on in the season so is hopefully adapting to our style of play.

Hopefully he can do a Novak & score against his old club when he returns to Swindon in our next league game.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sage said:

Exactly this, and how many of his goals were from him being around 0-12 yards out somewhere between the posts, probably around 90% I'm guessing? He's a bit of a fox in the box in some respects, needs game time and the goals will come.
    https://youtu.be/l88qojbpPgw

couple of individual goals efforts in there, but he is def a poacher - as we saw with his 2 at Walsall.
  • Options
    Thought the game passed round him, looked completely out of it; can't head a ball and yes, he is snatching at chances, although he was unlucky when he hit the post. He needs decent through balls to run on to - which with our centre midfield, aint going to happen. Also when teams come down and put nine men in an around their penalty box it makes it hard for any striker - just look at Man Utd yesterday!
  • Options
    We obviously don't play to his strengths but what I've seen so far I haven't been impressed.
  • Options
    Have a mate who is a die hard Swindon season ticket holder. He said they had to create 10 chances for him to score 1. We create 2 if hes lucky.
  • Options
    Watching Ajose play gives me Reza flashbacks.
  • Options
    It would help if we played more on the deck football I say!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

He's nowhere near as bad as Reza. He was absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

It would help if we played more on the deck football I say!

Don't think so
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but he looks like an utter dud to me.
  • Options
    I think Ajose plays too far apart from Magennis. In the first half on Saturday he never seemed to be closer than 20m as attacks developed. On the one occasion he got close as Mag received the ball he got a flick on and hit the post. Looking at the goals from last season he is a proximity player, doing well on the scraps and deflections from quality, hard to defend ground balls into the box. If we can improve our delivery and get him tucked in and around Mag I think we may see more out of him.
  • Options
    3 things to get goals from Ajose:

1. hardworking strike partner check
    2. Midfielder to barrage shots from range, that he can break onto rebounds.
    3. Quick attacks from midfield.

The obvious extra 1 - a confident and tactical manager to get the team playing to his strengths.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Reza just wasn't suited to the physical side of english football. He's doing fairly well in the Eredivisie which i'd suggest is probably a better level than league one. He scored away at leaders Feyenoord yesterday and has 5 goals in 11 games. Ajose is devoid of confidence and currently doesn't look like he'd get 5 goals all season.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    This may (hopefully) change, but at the moment he doesn't add anything to general play - no heading, no running at defenders etc. This would be ok if his game was just poaching lots of goals, except he keeps missing most of his chances too.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Missed It said:

Reza just wasn't suited to the physical side of english football. He's doing fairly well in the Eredivisie which i'd suggest is probably a better level than league one. He scored away at leaders Feyenoord yesterday and has 5 goals in 11 games. Ajose is devoid of confidence and currently doesn't look like he'd get 5 goals all season.
    The Dutch league, they all play the same way and same type of football. The time on the ball they have over there is so much more in comparison to the English game. The physicality compared, well you just can't compare it.

Janssen done really well and scored plenty for AZ last season but has struggled to adapt so far for Spurs, I think he will do well for them eventually, but it shows the difference in the leagues.

Reza didn't suit the English game and we can only judge him on what he has done with us, and for us he wasn't good enough, even with flashes of little quality every so often.

If Ajose was to go and play in the Dutch league, I am sure he will score plenty of goals himself. To compare him to Reza is silly in my opinion and would seriously be worried if he doesn't reach 5 goals this season when he is already on 3, even if that's a poor return at the moment.

I am sticking with 15-20 goals this season and him going on a little run at some point, may even start against Swindon, score a couple and he'll be a different player.
  • Options
    Should've put the first chance away. I actually think missing a chance like that is as bad as screwing up and making an individual mistake that leads to conceding a goal.

At the moment, I only thing we've got 3 players out of 11 that are promotion winning calibre

Lookman
    Magennis
    Holmes

Some of you might tout our centre back partnership of Pearce and Bauer, so at a push 5, 6 if you include Solly who I don't think has really set the world alight this season.

Definitely not Fox, Ulvestad, Jackson & Crofts or Ajose/Novak. Rudd I'm unsure about.

So maybe 6 out of 11 that are promotion material plus Slade's seemingly negative tactics/football. You probably won't even make the play offs on that team
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    cabbles said:

Should've put the first chance away. I actually think missing a chance like that is as bad as screwing up and making an individual mistake that leads to conceding a goal.

At the moment, I only thing we've got 3 players out of 11 that are promotion winning calibre

Lookman
    Magennis
    Holmes

Some of you might tout our centre back partnership of Pearce and Bauer, so at a push 5, 6 if you include Solly who I don't think has really set the world alight this season.

Definitely not Fox, Ulvestad, Jackson & Crofts or Ajose/Novak. Rudd I'm unsure about.

So maybe 6 out of 11 that are promotion material plus Slade's seemingly negative tactics/football. You probably won't even make the play offs on that team

In a few weeks Id include Ulvestad as he's created a good amount of goals the last few weeks... Lookman I wouldnt as he's too hot and cold.

On the basis from Saturday Id definitely say that Bauer and Pearce (the latter won this League last season) are the best Centre Backs in the Division, the problem at the moment is they're taking it in turns to get a niggle, so miss a match which disrupts the back line

i.e. Until Leon Cort joined the Defence of Hamer / Solly / Morrison / Taylor / Wiggins was ever present and the fact our current Defence is the third best in the League (in terms of goals conceded) says to me the issues with the team arent at the back!!

Edit: Weve the joint second best Defence with Bradford now, only Bolton are better than us two at the back which says it all about our attack compared with the two teams in 2nd and 3rd
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    cabbles said:

Lookman
    Magennis
    Holmes

This ^ and in the case of Ajose I really do hope he starts finding the back of the net on a regular basis but the indications so far under Slades style of play are not good. I'd settle for him reaching double figures now if we can't sort the CM issues out.
  • Options
    What are odds we will get rid of him next summer after a poor season then he will bang in 20+ for the next club he signs for.