Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trick Or Treat?

13»

Comments

• Options
    1 advantage of not getting home till 8pm. I've avoided the trick and treaters and don't have to sit at home in the dark!
  • Options
    Carter said:

Don't care one way or the other

AHA

I hear you say, you Carter have took the time to post on a forum about something you say you care not for?

Saw loads of small zombies and vampires earlier out skipping along with parents and whilst they would probably rather have been doing anything else they took their vermin out for a bit and scored some e numbers for them and a hint of type 2 diabetes for mum and dad. If I'm honest though I've never got the Halloween thing. I'm a fairly outgoing bloke bit pubs with grown ups in fancy dress is one thing, acting the nugget all dressed up is another and I have decided it's not for me. Neither is teenagers knocking doors. But it is endlessly hilarious seeing them sprint away scared shitless of next doors pack of massive huskies going into full wolf mode. Since we had a spate of over zealous Romanian metal collectors decide garden gates and roof racks were fair game they let the doggies roam their garden. We get very few door knockers or leaflets down here now. IF those dogs wanted to jump the gate they could and if they wanted to eat a human I'm confident they could too

Thanks to our four, I have a 2kg tub of harribo to get through before the Grandchildren visit. :)
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Living in Canada land it's just as big here as it is down south - kids love it and some people really get into the spirit - it's a BIG occasion here.

We went to a fancy dress party which ended up in the pub on Saturday night - being a tight git I went dressed in my cricket whites (thinking plenty of others go as Hockey players, American footballers etc) - nobody knew wtf I was supposed to be!! I definitely overestimated the games global reach :(

Missionary work has never been easy.

You need to sit them down to watch Botham's ashes. If that fails, try throwing a cricket ball at their heads.

Mind you, fair play for taking your whites with you though. A fancy dress was always going to be your best chance of wearing them!

Nice freindly people in my experience; although only visited up and around Toronto.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Halix said:

Bloody Americanisation of our Yoof!.

It is actually a British tradition dating back to Roman times. It was us that exported it to the USA. Admittedly they have run with the idea far better than we have.

So the Romans had Haribo?
    What have the Romans ever done for us? Apparantly the Aquaduct and now this!
  • Options
    Halix said:

Halix said:

Bloody Americanisation of our Yoof!.

It is actually a British tradition dating back to Roman times. It was us that exported it to the USA. Admittedly they have run with the idea far better than we have.

So the Romans had Haribo?
    What have the Romans ever done for us? Apparantly the Aquaduct and now this!
    You forgot about candles.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Living in Canada land it's just as big here as it is down south - kids love it and some people really get into the spirit - it's a BIG occasion here.

We went to a fancy dress party which ended up in the pub on Saturday night - being a tight git I went dressed in my cricket whites (thinking plenty of others go as Hockey players, American footballers etc) - nobody knew wtf I was supposed to be!! I definitely overestimated the games global reach :(

You went to a halloween party in Canada dressed as a cricketer and wondered why no one knew who you were supposed to be? I can't believe that for a second!
  • Options
    I'm a miserable old git. I regard demanding money with menaces against the law, so I'm having none of it. Also, I own a Rottweiler who regards it like all the postmen coming along at once.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Polite message hung on door. "No trick or treat please". Flour bombs and all sorts all over my windows. Next year I won't be polite. I'll answer the door. Just hope they are ready for the flour bombs and all sorts.
  • Options
    At least the TV Channel know they wont be losing that Weather Girl to a successful acting career

Her reaction getting struck like lightning was the sort of reaction I give whenever Charlton concede!!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

At least the TV Channel know they wont be losing that Weather Girl to a successful acting career

Her reaction getting struck like lightning was the sort of reaction I give whenever Charlton concede!!

Im so used to it I can barely raise a "tutt tutt" now.
  • Options
    I said to my wife, don't give them sweets give them something healthy; like a cabbage.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

I said to my wife, don't give them sweets give them something healthy; like a cabbage.

I agree sweets are bad for reasons of obesity, teeth and blood sugar levels, but I am prepared to compromise. I give them Chocolate coated frozen Brussel Sprouts that will teach them to look a gift horse in the mouth.
  • Options
    Halix said:

pettgra said:

I agree sweets are bad for reasons of obesity, teeth and blood sugar levels, but I am prepared to compromise. I give them Chocolate coated frozen Brussel Sprouts that will teach them to look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Sounds delicious!. One way to get them to eat their greens.
  • Options

Polite message hung on door. "No trick or treat please". Flour bombs and all sorts all over my windows. Next year I won't be polite. I'll answer the door. Just hope they are ready for the flour bombs and all sorts.

Your own fault for not following my advice. You make the sign saying "All trick and treaters Sod Off" and put it outside an annoying neighbours house so he gets the flour and eggs.

Also consider putting a large empty bowl outside with a big sign saying " trick and treaters please take one, but please do not knock as baby sleeping".

Or just do what I do. Join in and buy a few sweets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Nothing wrong with trick or treat - but it is Monday night.

Try a sign that says "sod off all trick and treaters". Then place outside door of your most annoying neighbour.

Cook some brussel sprouts, dip in chocolate to give out to any that are far too old to take part or can't even bother to put a mask on.

Buy a few treats for the young kids that are out on a real adventure.

Turn off your lights when you run out as most know that this is the sign that you do not want anyone knocking on your door, or just hang a note out.

I think that is about the right balance between trick and treat!

Actually made me lol :smile:
  • Options

when did Halloween get such a big deal over here, dont remember it being that much of an event when I was younger.

It never was, my only participation in Halloween was running as fast as I could past the spooky old house that had an old woman living there who people said was a witch, ....I believed them. Still when you're 27 you'll believe anything after a few beers :smile:
  • Options

Parents sending kids into pubs and restaurants is plain wrong.
    I would mix in a few blocks of ex-lax with chunks of bournville and dairy milk to give out and sleep sound in the knowledge that those parents will be spending the early hours of the morning airing little johnnies bedroom whilst the washing machine is in overdrive.

HaHa bloody unbelievable that's twice I've lol on one thread, couldn't someone who hobnobs with pinocchio try the same trick. Or throw a whole bar but wrapped in a Bournville wrapper at fatty noballs, he's sure to take the bait
  • Options
    Some children knocked on my door once too often last year.

They don't think it's so funny now.
  • Options

What did you do ?
  • Options
    I can see some fantastic targets for "knock down ginger" here.

My favourite form of revenge on pratt neighbours was a take on this. Drying out dog shit (although lamb shit is best). Placing on door step and setting light too. Home owner comes out, hopefully in nylon slippers, and attempts to put out. Hopping and stamping and spreading the shit.

So nearly got my head kicked in doing this on one occasion as I was incapacitated by laughter.

I was sniggering even before this bloke opened the door as he had previously told me to 'clear off' when I was trying to recover my ball from his front garden earlier in that week.

He looked a complete div when he was dressed for work with short back and sides, big ears and toffee posh voice, so I had high expectations. Despite only being 6.39pm in July, he came to the door in silk dressing gown, tartan pajamas and I guess a small mug of coffee.

His first reaction was to leap into the air, a slipper shot out in the direction of the poo. He went into some form of Kung Fu position, and then just started jumping up and down on the shit.

By then I was totally incapacitated with laughter and hung over his low front garden wall with tears flooding from my eyes. After a couple of minutes it dawned on him that his house was not in danger of burning down and he quickly identified the little shit responsable.l

He ran over, but I could only crawl away hardly able to breath. At this stage I honestly don't think he knew his slippers were a little sticky because surely he would not want to put any on me! I was completely defenseless.

My freind rushed back to save me. He looked quite dashing and agreesive, but he pulled up, started pointing and laughin and this seemed to confuse him and he headed back. As soon as he got beack to his porch I assume the shit was more apparent and he went mad. Fortunately I was a bit more with it and he chased us for about a mile and a half. New route to school after that, but he had to be pulled up. Getting a ball back is allowed.
  • Options

What did you do ?
    Nothing. I was implying I still had them locked up. It isn't so funny without the beer.