Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trick Or Treat?

Comments

• Options

I think the general rule that is accepted by decent people is that if your property does not display any sort of Halloween decoration then people will not call.

Should be this. People just ignore that though. Don't mind so much if it's young kids but teenagers piss me off. Go get a paper round and buy yourself some chocolate that's what I did.
    Or mug a pensioner for glue money
  • Options
    edited October 2016

when did Halloween get such a big deal over here, dont remember it being that much of an event when I was younger.

Halloween was usurped by the 17th century authorities after the gunpowder plot as a means to remember and celebrate the execution of Fawkes and Co and the survival of the crown and parliament ..
    SO .. the 'celebration' has partially gone back to its 'roots' ...
    to me it seems just another bonanza for the big shop chains, flogging ever more elaborate costumes and related stuff .. still, lots of children seem to enjoy it and despite the pressure on parents who might be struggling for cash, I guess it's harmless enough .. a good old pagan celebration for the coming of winter, death of the old soon followed by the birth of the new
    Round here, I have seen quite a few youngsters out doing penny for the guy, first time for quite a few years that I can recall .. so Guy Fawkes night still retains some social credence .. and I do like the sound and sight of fireworks and bonfires
  • Options
    Halix said:

Bloody Americanisation of our Yoof!.

It is actually a British tradition dating back to Roman times. It was us that exported it to the USA. Admittedly they have run with the idea far better than we have.

• Options
    I'd never even heard of trick or treat till I saw it on tv on Charlie Brown some time in the 70s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Re the Nandoes kids. Was in the George in Bexley Saturday lunchtime, when a mum push two small girls through the door, in costumes. Obviously intention was to collect money, basically most people are to embarresed not to give them 50p. However, manager shooed them out after they had only pestered a couple of tables. The mum stood outside waiting. Scum of the earth using your kids to beg.
  • Options
    I think its probably best to go to the pub tonight to avoid the door knocking as it can be quite tedious. So best spent in the pub I reckon. In a normal pub, not in a pub where grown men are in fancy dress without their kids with them... that would just be plain weird. :-)

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Our Bailey waiting for "Trick or Treat" oh how he loves welcoming those teenagers. ;)image

How much is that doggie in the window?
  • Options
    Sons off out trick or treating.
  • Options
    He can leave those sweets behind though.
  • Options
    Went for an Indian in welling on Friday night, 10 of us sitting there eating our dinner when 3 kids come in with buckets saying trick or treat, 2 mums standing out side waiting smoking Fags. I mean what the fuck is that all about . Couldn't believe it. I'm All for a bit of a fun but sending your kids into busy restaurants to ponce a bit of money is a joke cos who the fuck carries Freddos and Haribo round with them whilst out for dinner . Pissed me
    Right off. I told em to do one
  • Options
    Streets here packed with kids and adults all dressed up and a real buzz about the place. Some guys have done fantastic jobs on their houses. One with witches on wires screaming across the drive, smoke machines and music.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We used to do Trick or Treat up & down our hill when we were kids, the difference being we'd spend two days making our own costumes together which was the best bit.
    Sometimes you'd get an apple or a toffee each. If anyone had chosen the 'Trick' option, we wouldn't have had a clue what to do. Blockbuster.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Streets here packed with kids and adults all dressed up and a real buzz about the place. Some guys have done fantastic jobs on their houses. One with witches on wires screaming across the drive, smoke machines and music.

Are you living in Hollywood?
  • Options
    If anyone rings that bell after 7, I'm calling the police.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Are you living in Hollywood?
    Kent actually, which all though I have never been to Hollywood, I bet is much like here. If I knew how to post photos I would put a couple up.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Why are you at the Valley on a night when there is no match?
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Why are you at the Valley on a night when there is no match?
    Must be over 3 years since you have been!

Good venue for Halloween though. Graveyard with a real witch are a rarity!
  • Options
    I answer in a foreign language if anyone like this approaches.
    happy to keep the mock misunderstanding going for ages as it reduces the number of other people who get bothered.