Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match View: Charlton v Chesterfield

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Haven't met that many players but did have a chat with Chris Solly last year.

He seemed to have his head screwed on.

Good football head on him I think.

I rate him highly and hope he holds himself together from a fitness perespective and continues to play well for a few more seasons for us.

I like him a lot.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Currently I have us around here for the end of the season. A couple of injuries and we're phucked.

----------------V--------------

1-2/3-6/7-12/13-18/19-21/22-24

I can see us in 17th, a huge failure on the part of the board.

If we change manager now I could see us turning it, but they will need to be a great man manager or financially supported, I could see this:

---------V---------------------

@oohaahmortimer will be disgusted at this monstrosity of a prediction
  • Options

I listened to the interview on Charlton Live and I have to say that it was the polar opposite to listening to Slade.

Solly seemed to be a) comfortable talking about the game, good and bad and b) relaxed in his comments, Slade, on the other hand is (probably understandably) resorting to meaningless platitudes and meandering generalisations. Partly the difference is, I believe, that Solly (naturally, given his time with the club) "gets" Charlton, while Slade doesn't, and partly because Slade is under severe pressure.

If it were me, I'd have Solly interviewed every week.

I don't think it's down to "getting" Charlton or not, but rather the pressure that under performing managers come under is immense, and tends to affect their judgement.
  • Options
    cobbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Currently I have us around here for the end of the season. A couple of injuries and we're phucked.

----------------V--------------

I can see us in 17th, a huge failure on the part of the board.

If we change manager now I could see us turning it, but they will need to be a great man manager or financially supported, I could see this:

---------V---------------------

@oohaahmortimer will be disgusted at this monstrosity of a prediction
    I'm glad you mentioned it , I haven't a clue whats going on there but I don't think I like it
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day communications, and general event management.
    Leaving aside the unforgivable Graham Moore/Ray Treacy situation last year, and the team line ups only coming in until the CARD free programmes were issued, we were told the PA system was buggered.
    The PA System is either still buggered or as I think is more likely badly managed by Mr Adamson and his unpaid student drones. Hearing the Red Red Robin is a lottery each game, and nobody could hear a word Andy Hunt said because of the amateurish incompetence of Brian Cole and his team.
    Once again Brian Cole has the vocal skills of a toothless old crone chewing a double dose of toffee. The faux cheerfulness which I suppose is going on (I can't hear it anyway) during the half time events is embarrassingly ill judged, and in effect quite patronising to the people there.
    It fits in with the fourteen chips, give the supporters any old crap culture that pervades the club. I admit to being rather obsessed with the way the event is structured at the Valley and it is very poor fare.
    Manipulated children waving flags.
    Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.
    Half time fun which isn't.

I bet the team that focus on this side of the event pat each other on the back and constantly speak the mantra of 'I think that went pretty well ' to each other to validate what they do.
    In my individual opinion I believe they are very poor indeed and I would probably prefer nothing at all than the cringeworthy patronising rubbish we are presented with.
    I emphasise this is my opinion. Others may love it and they may think it goes pretty well so I am pleased for them.

Seth, please drop me an email (steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk) as I would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify a few things

As I've mentioned before and people who know me know, I am a long serving Charlton fan. I've had a season ticket since 5 years old and travelled home and away. I've seen us have midweek defeats away to Middlesbrough as well as joys such as winning promotion at Carlisle, so I do care passionately about our club.

Dave Lockwood is a very good friend of mine who I still respect and talk to regularly to this day. At the end of last season, he decided to step down from his role as matchday announcer. This was a great shame as I enjoyed working with Dave but understood and respected the decision. We needed to get somebody to replace him and as a Charlton fan I personally would prefer to have someone Charlton related on the microphone who shares the passion and the knowledge so this is why we brought back Brian. It's also not an easy job speaking in front of a lot of people.

I think Brian is doing a good job and is growing into it more and more every game. Simple things like Brian was able to ad-lib a lot of the interview with Andy Hunt yesterday whereas someone non-Charlton wouldn't have known what to ask him.

The PA system is a problem, there is no denying that. It's been mentioned before at some Q&A's but some parts were salvaged from before when we went back to The Valley so I wouldn't like to put a number how many decades old they are. It is a big job and a very expensive job, any sound engineers on here can hopefully vouch for that. I'm only the AV Content Editor but it's a job I'd love to have done but it will take time as it's not a quick job nor a cheap job.

We have a great separate interview with Andy recorded which will go out next week, it's a shame that some people struggled to hear the pitchside interview and it's something I will try to review as much as I can.

In terms of Red Robin to shine some light on the problem, the computer playing out the music completely died during a game. We got through the game then we replaced the computer but the connection to the soundcard wasn't playing music loud enough. We had the volume fully up and boosters fully up and when it came to matchday it still wasn't loud enough. We do test the system throughout the week but it's obviously a lot harder to judge when no one is in the stadium. As far as I believe Red Robin has been playing out loud and proud the last few games as we have brought in a new booster device and play Red Robin off a slightly different system to try to make it as loud as possible. I will continue making sure Red Robin is played as loud as it can.

Finally the students are paid and they are paid well as well. They aren't on minimum wage and I think the benefit they get in experience, as well as the benefit we get are massive. When I watch content as a fan the thing I always watched first were highlights and as you may have seen on Saturday we had goal highlights from eight different goal angles.
    Thank you for your reply. I will say again as I said originally this is my opinion and I accept others will vehemently disagree.

I have not questioned your background as a Charlton fan but said in my opinion you and your team are doing a bad job. If the students are getting paid and gaining experience then fine, but it is to the detriment of the matchdays experience.

Take the PA system. If it is crap you are in a better position to go to the Chief Operations Officer to say that money should be spent on an upgrade than me.
    Telling us it is crap may be an explanation not a solution, and to hear there isn't money for it sticks in the craw when we are paying Roger Johnson's wages for example, or for Katrien Meire round of conferences.

I am glad you agree with me that hearing RRR is a 'lottery' as I wrote.

Brian Cole may have Charlton knowledge but does that excuse his poor vocal skill? He simply does not speak clearly or with the appropriate pace.

Having the interview with Andy Hunt was a frustration not a pleasure because of the technical problems and Brian Coles poor vocal delivery, seeing it later is not the point because my post was about the matchdays experience, the same goes for camera angles played after an event. I go to experience the event in front of me, there is no point to me going if the main experience is to see a subsequent recording of it.

I also commented on the patronising Hi De Hi half time stuff, which is impossible to follow but involves a crossbar challenge and on Saturday some stuff involving a little kid which was conducted with no originality or creativity and the warmth of a cold day in Antarctica.

I know you were mortified by the Graham Moore situation, but it remains a stark example of the care taken by the present culture of this club, and if not that very sad event, then the refusal to display team line ups until the free programmes appeared, very late in the season, is also indicative of the care taken by the present culture of the club.

When in the ground you may have a very narrow brief, but the attendee experiences the whole event including the game. I have clearly said that whoever has oversight of the whole experience, whoever takes holistic responsibility if you like, does a bad job in my view.

Again in my view I would prefer nothing to the squirming embarassment I feel regarding the very poor event management.

The sofa may not be there physically, but the sofa culture pervades the club in my opinion.
    As mentioned Seth drop me an email and I can hopefully discuss this with you. I'm not a miracle worker so can't do everything but I can at least look at the things which fall under my remit.
    My hesitation about emailing any address at the club on this issue is because of Tony Keohane.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day communications, and general event management.
    Leaving aside the unforgivable Graham Moore/Ray Treacy situation last year, and the team line ups only coming in until the CARD free programmes were issued, we were told the PA system was buggered.
    The PA System is either still buggered or as I think is more likely badly managed by Mr Adamson and his unpaid student drones. Hearing the Red Red Robin is a lottery each game, and nobody could hear a word Andy Hunt said because of the amateurish incompetence of Brian Cole and his team.
    Once again Brian Cole has the vocal skills of a toothless old crone chewing a double dose of toffee. The faux cheerfulness which I suppose is going on (I can't hear it anyway) during the half time events is embarrassingly ill judged, and in effect quite patronising to the people there.
    It fits in with the fourteen chips, give the supporters any old crap culture that pervades the club. I admit to being rather obsessed with the way the event is structured at the Valley and it is very poor fare.
    Manipulated children waving flags.
    Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.
    Half time fun which isn't.

I bet the team that focus on this side of the event pat each other on the back and constantly speak the mantra of 'I think that went pretty well ' to each other to validate what they do.
    In my individual opinion I believe they are very poor indeed and I would probably prefer nothing at all than the cringeworthy patronising rubbish we are presented with.
    I emphasise this is my opinion. Others may love it and they may think it goes pretty well so I am pleased for them.

Seth, please drop me an email (steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk) as I would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify a few things

As I've mentioned before and people who know me know, I am a long serving Charlton fan. I've had a season ticket since 5 years old and travelled home and away. I've seen us have midweek defeats away to Middlesbrough as well as joys such as winning promotion at Carlisle, so I do care passionately about our club.

Dave Lockwood is a very good friend of mine who I still respect and talk to regularly to this day. At the end of last season, he decided to step down from his role as matchday announcer. This was a great shame as I enjoyed working with Dave but understood and respected the decision. We needed to get somebody to replace him and as a Charlton fan I personally would prefer to have someone Charlton related on the microphone who shares the passion and the knowledge so this is why we brought back Brian. It's also not an easy job speaking in front of a lot of people.

I think Brian is doing a good job and is growing into it more and more every game. Simple things like Brian was able to ad-lib a lot of the interview with Andy Hunt yesterday whereas someone non-Charlton wouldn't have known what to ask him.

The PA system is a problem, there is no denying that. It's been mentioned before at some Q&A's but some parts were salvaged from before when we went back to The Valley so I wouldn't like to put a number how many decades old they are. It is a big job and a very expensive job, any sound engineers on here can hopefully vouch for that. I'm only the AV Content Editor but it's a job I'd love to have done but it will take time as it's not a quick job nor a cheap job.

We have a great separate interview with Andy recorded which will go out next week, it's a shame that some people struggled to hear the pitchside interview and it's something I will try to review as much as I can.

In terms of Red Robin to shine some light on the problem, the computer playing out the music completely died during a game. We got through the game then we replaced the computer but the connection to the soundcard wasn't playing music loud enough. We had the volume fully up and boosters fully up and when it came to matchday it still wasn't loud enough. We do test the system throughout the week but it's obviously a lot harder to judge when no one is in the stadium. As far as I believe Red Robin has been playing out loud and proud the last few games as we have brought in a new booster device and play Red Robin off a slightly different system to try to make it as loud as possible. I will continue making sure Red Robin is played as loud as it can.

Finally the students are paid and they are paid well as well. They aren't on minimum wage and I think the benefit they get in experience, as well as the benefit we get are massive. When I watch content as a fan the thing I always watched first were highlights and as you may have seen on Saturday we had goal highlights from eight different goal angles.
    Thank you for your reply. I will say again as I said originally this is my opinion and I accept others will vehemently disagree.

I have not questioned your background as a Charlton fan but said in my opinion you and your team are doing a bad job. If the students are getting paid and gaining experience then fine, but it is to the detriment of the matchdays experience.

Take the PA system. If it is crap you are in a better position to go to the Chief Operations Officer to say that money should be spent on an upgrade than me.
    Telling us it is crap may be an explanation not a solution, and to hear there isn't money for it sticks in the craw when we are paying Roger Johnson's wages for example, or for Katrien Meire round of conferences.

Brian Cole may have Charlton knowledge but does that excuse his poor vocal skill? He simply does not speak clearly or with the appropriate pace.

Having the interview with Andy Hunt was a frustration not a pleasure because of the technical problems and Brian Coles poor vocal delivery, seeing it later is not the point because my post was about the matchdays experience, the same goes for camera angles played after an event. I go to experience the event in front of me, there is no point to me going if the main experience is to see a subsequent recording of it.

I also commented on the patronising Hi De Hi half time stuff, which is impossible to follow but involves a crossbar challenge and on Saturday some stuff involving a little kid which was conducted with no originality or creativity and the warmth of a cold day in Antarctica.

I know you were mortified by the Graham Moore situation, but it remains a stark example of the care taken by the present culture of this club, and if not that very sad event, then the refusal to display team line ups until the free programmes appeared, very late in the season, is also indicative of the care taken by the present culture of the club.

When in the ground you may have a very narrow brief, but the attendee experiences the whole event including the game. I have clearly said that whoever has oversight of the whole experience, whoever takes holistic responsibility if you like, does a bad job in my view.

Again in my view I would prefer nothing to the squirming embarassment I feel regarding the very poor event management.

The sofa may not be there physically, but the sofa culture pervades the club in my opinion.
    As mentioned Seth drop me an email and I can hopefully discuss this with you. I'm not a miracle worker so can't do everything but I can at least look at the things which fall under my remit.
    My hesitation about emailing any address at the club on this issue is because of Tony Keohane.
    You'll get a 6am knock on the door and be banged up before you know it.

Duchatelet, Meire and Keohane, hating their customers since 2014.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day

Well the offers there if you change your mind. It would be good to discuss a few things you have mentioned as I don't want you or anyone else to not enjoy the matchday items which fall under my remit - however if you don't want to get in touch that's fair enough, I can understand but I can't offer more help to address any problems than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All seriousness great to see an Interview with Chris Solly as they're like hens teeth, other than the yearly programme interviews I think its the first time I've seen him in an interview where he's not discussing a Contract that he's just signed... Definitely has Managerial potential though as he's currently taking his badges with Johnnie Jackson and remember the two having a short discussion on twitter about a game they were both watching

Solly seems to have got more comfortable being interviewed of late, on the previous rear occasions he would do a interview it would be a little bit painful as you could see how uncomfortable he was.

He must be a managers dream though, not really fussed about the limelight attention, just wants to come in and do his job but is 100% committed to the cause.
  • Options

All seriousness great to see an Interview with Chris Solly as they're like hens teeth, other than the yearly programme interviews I think its the first time I've seen him in an interview where he's not discussing a Contract that he's just signed... Definitely has Managerial potential though as he's currently taking his badges with Johnnie Jackson and remember the two having a short discussion on twitter about a game they were both watching

Solly seems to have got more comfortable being interviewed of late, on the previous rear occasions he would do a interview it would be a little bit painful as you could see how uncomfortable he was.

He must be a managers dream though, not really fussed about the limelight attention, just wants to come in and do his job but is 100% committed to the cause.
    This.

I was on Chris's table at the POTY dinner a few years ago, and comes across as quite quiet.

Last year there was a programme in honour of Jack, and Chris said he wasn't one for impassioned speeches, and led by example. He would leave the passion to Jack.

Still has time to change, of course, but I would say more likely to be a coach than a manager...
  • Options
    Sorry. Bloody spell checker. Jacko!
  • Options

Its one of the reasons I've always been a huge fan of him.

The modern day Footballer is usually someone who is nearly always getting in trouble or is always happy to be seen in the pin up boy for the media as they write article after article about them.

Yes Chris has never played at a level for the media to truly care about him (Its not the News Shoppers style to show how Player X or Player Y is splashing the cash) and its a breath of fresh air to see... Of course I'd love to see Charlton back in the Premier League but having good honest pros like Solly etc. are one of the reasons I'm not bothered about being up there at present.
  • Options
    Christ, Chesterfield were pony.
    Slade loves that word "patience" doesn't he? Berk still is either not paying attention, has eyesight issues or is as thick as pigshit.
    Holmes's preference is well known to be playing on the left.
    Ademola Lookman is not a winger, and naturally favours his stronger right side.
    Only a fucktard or charlatan would persist with playing them both out of position, especially when creating chances has been such an obvious problem.
    The difference made on Saturday when Botaka replaced Lookman and Holmes moved to his favoured area was huge. My 10 year old niece, whose grasp of football is thus far tenuous, commented on the difference - Russell over to you...
    20 odd years alleged experience as a football manager and his appreciation of the game is outshone by a 10 year old who has attended no more than 6 games, all under protest, poor kid.
    There are bigger, more deeply rooted problems at Charlton but our current first team manager has revealed himself to be a depressing combination of: overly cautious, pig-headed, dimwitted, unobservant and possessing a daintily fragile ego.
    Most depressing of all, after 23 years I'm almost passed caring. It's only a stubborn affection for the club that so unexpectedly got under my skin after a few casual visits, that maintains any interest in the toxic pantomime that club has become.
  • Options
    I just think you're angry because you haven't worked out which player you want to give 1 or 2 out of 10 to in each week's Player Marks, especially now that JBG is gone
  • Options

Christ, Chesterfield were pony.
    Slade loves that word "patience" doesn't he? Berk still is either not paying attention, has eyesight issues or is as thick as pigshit.
    Holmes's preference is well known to be playing on the left.
    Ademola Lookman is not a winger, and naturally favours his stronger right side.
    Only a fucktard or charlatan would persist with playing them both out of position, especially when creating chances has been such an obvious problem.
    The difference made on Saturday when Botaka replaced Lookman and Holmes moved to his favoured area was huge. My 10 year old niece, whose grasp of football is thus far tenuous, commented on the difference - Russell over to you...
    20 odd years alleged experience as a football manager and his appreciation of the game is outshone by a 10 year old who has attended no more than 6 games, all under protest, poor kid.
    There are bigger, more deeply rooted problems at Charlton but our current first team manager has revealed himself to be a depressing combination of: overly cautious, pig-headed, dimwitted, unobservant and possessing a daintily fragile ego.
    Most depressing of all, after 23 years I'm almost passed caring. It's only a stubborn affection for the club that so unexpectedly got under my skin after a few casual visits, that maintains any interest in the toxic pantomime that club has become.

And there you have it folks, the reasons why Russell has never gained a promotion.
  • Options

This says it all, doesn't it? So much for the "unique matchday experience" of our beloved CEO, we can't even get something simple like having a PA that people can hear right. And so much for Roland being the richest owner we've ever had, we can't even seem to afford to replace a PA system that - from the above - appears to pre-date 1992. And they think they are no longer making mistakes! Hilarious.*

*would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.
  • Options

Seth

Steve knows much better than I do about the problems you have raised and has given you a pretty full explanation of why things are as they are. However, I think we would all agree that the PA system is close to being not fit for purpose. Whether the people who can do something about it will do so is another matter.

I am, however, disappointed to hear that you think the students working as film crew on match days are detrimental to the match day experience. I am also disappointed that you think to describe them as 'drones'. They are indeed students, so are not yet a fully professional team, but they are also a really talented team, both tecnically and creatively, and are really focused on improving their work as time goes on. I have been talking to them about other ways they can use their skills to make films for and about Charlton and they are keen to do this, although the current situation might be a factor stopping this happen at the moment.

Just to be clear, the students' role is to film the match and, occasionally film the matchday experience, along with assisting Steve with vision mixing. There are also, behind the scenes, some students assisting with IT and graphic design. Steve and I are working hard with the film students to make sure that the quaility of the output is improved as much as possible. Our aim is to get the most professional product we can with quite limited resources.

I would welcome your feedback on the points you raise relating to the students as you clearly have some issues with their work. Steve and I can then feedback to the team so that we can improve what we are doing. Part of the experience we are giving the students is to find out what it feels like to work in a professional environment. That includes receiving both postive and negative feedback. Despite everything else going on at the Valley at the moment, we want to produce the best work we can for the fans, so anything you can add to help this would be good.

You can send your feedback either to Steve or PM me.
  • Options
    The students are learning and gaining skills, and I now know they are being paid above minimum wage for any hours spent on the job so that is knowledge I didn't have and in that respect they are not drones. I regret using the term.

The negativity I feel about the student input is driven by my assumption that the parent club are not spending money on essential areas and are using the cheap option of students to paper over cracks.

Let's take the PA system which we all seem to agree is terrible. It is not the remit of the students to pay for an upgrade but as a punter in the ground I am concerned about the PA system which is out front as it were, rather than what the student's do behind the scenes.

In terms of any interaction with students during matches, well I was aware of them filming fans at protests, which frankly I thought was rather intimidating. When asked they would say they were filming the match day experience.

If we are tight on resources, and if we are paying students, the priority within financial constraints should first be the PA system. Indeed I would've thought the PA system working properly is a safety issue.

If you can tell me more about how the match day experience would be worse if the students were not there I can be persuaded. I want them to have a platform to learn for them sure, but I don't want them sticking a film camera in my face.

Perhaps the students can consider studying voice, and as a two way street give Brian Cole some lessons.