Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Remembering WW1 Addicks

As we approach Remembrance Sunday and then Armed Forces Day v Port Vale on 20th November the museum is preparing to remember the three Addicks who fell in World War One.

You can see the new memorial stone in the museum tomorrow (Friday) from 11.30 to 2.30 and on Saturday 11.00 to 1.00

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Just finished Somme: Into the Breach - a stunning, visceral book - highly recommended

http://books.telegraph.co.uk/Product/Hugh-Sebag-Montefiore/Somme--Into-the-Breach/18667193

Inspired i have really searched my family history - lost relatives at Passchendaeale & Loos & several must have gone through the battles in 1916. Also discovered a great uncle who was at Jutland onboard HMS Malaya - which was hit & lost over 80 men during the battle.
  • Playing battlefield 1 has given me a renewal interest in the great war.RIP
  • My grandad was one of the Old Contemptibles. In mid August 1914, he was a postie in North London and, I believe, a reservist. By 10 September 1914, he was in a place just east of Paris, preparing to defend France. With the advantage of hindsight, historians say people knew war was coming, but I bet he must have been wondering what the hell he was doing there.

He was in the 1st Battalion of the East Kent Regiment, the Buffs. Wounded and repatriated, he ended the war as an Acting Sergeant in the Labour Corps. A lucky survivor? He never recovered his health and was eventually honourably discharged as army surplus. Well, the phrase they used was "surplus to military requirements".

He managed to father two children, though.
  • He would have been part of the 6th Division serving at Fermoy.
  • Addickted said:

He would have been part of the 6th Division serving at Fermoy.

I think you're right. From the regimental diary, it looks like the reservists joined up on 7th and 8 Aug, while they were still in Fermoy. I had assumed previously that he joined up after they returned to England.

I should have said they were at Crecy la Chapelle, east of Paris, by 12th, not 10th.
  • Amazing that in this time of peace the two world wars even happened
  • Amazing that in this time of peace the two world wars even happened

Peace?

Have you seen the news recently?