Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gay Footballers

Just seen this article on the BBC Sport website... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/37760114

Most sports fans in England, Wales and Scotland say they would be comfortable with their club signing a gay player, with only 8% of fans saying they'd refuse to watch their team it makes me wonder why they'd refuse to watch their team simply because of the sexual orientation of someone.

Where does everyone stand on this?

To be honest for me I dont care whether a Player is Straight / Gay / Bi-Sexual or undecided... I dont see why anyone should have to come out in the public advising of their orientation because its none of my business and ultimately if you play well you'll be praised by fans on the pitch, if you dont then you'll receive abuse.

Comments

• Options
    In and of itself it would be entirely irrelevant to me. My only interest would be due to the current context and scarcity of "out" players.
  • Options
    Couldn't care less as long as they play well
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    i dont believe people would not attend but would certainly chant if an opposing teams gay player scored for example;

he takes it up the ass etc, can see why players wouldnt want to come out as gay.
  • Options
    The only thing that matters, does he pass the CL height test.
  • Options
    Statistically its likely that each starting XI has one gay player anyway, so it would seem that round about the same average number of people are gay as are vehemently anti-gay.

Who was it who said "Methinks thou dost protest too much..."?

How about we get all the gay men and all the homophobes in a big room and get them to hug it out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The only thing that matters, does he pass the CL height test.

Only when he's lying on his back, the lucky boy.
  • Options
    It isn't any of my business to know or care what people's sexuality is.
  • Options
    I think Football needs gay players to come out. It is a blight on our game that players do not feel comfortable doing so. I wouldn't have a problem at all if we had a team full of gay players. I am interested in their football ability.
  • Options
    True, but the fact that we can't name one gay footballer in the English game is shameful.
  • Options

I think Football needs gay players to come out. It is a blight on our game that players do not feel comfortable doing so. I wouldn't have a problem at all if we had a team full of gay players. I am interested in their football ability.

You see I dont understand why its important

If Morgan Fox was to admit he was Gay I'd then want Chris Solly to come out confirming he's straight (Just for clarification).

Ultimately its none of our Business

he takes it up the ass etc, can see why players wouldnt want to come out as gay.

This is probably why there are surveys about this sort of thing from the chants that are sung on the terraces... Is something that will never go I believe and reckon that players shouldnt take it personally... Unless your a complete prick of a Footballer, no chant should ever be taken that way as its just designed (from my view) to put the opposition off and to stop them playing well / winning
  • Options

True, but the fact that we can't name one gay footballer in the English game is shameful.

Thomas Hitzlsperger was one... I know others have come out but cant remember as I just think... Meh, dont care
  • Options
    doesn't bother me one iota what someone's sexual orientation is and I can't believe that 8% of fans would stay away if there was a gay player on their team. I mean statistically there is at leat one already but they don't know about it. It would be good if players feel that they could come out but unfortunately the abuse they would get from certain fans makes it unlikely and who can blame them.
  • Options
    The general social opinion and acceptance of the LGBT community has changed dramatically for the better in the past decade or so, but sport is lagging behind. I believe it is almost entirely because of the chanting and abuse they'd get from opposing fans. And the chanting won't go away either, as anything a fan can latch onto they will, whether it's someone's sexual orientation, their haircut, whether the player had consent or not, if they've recently had a parent die, most things aren't off limits it seems, and being gay most certainly won't be for the majority of fans.
  • Options

Thomas Hitzlsperger was one... I know others have come out but cant remember as I just think... Meh, dont care
    This was after his career had finished though. Loved him as a player. Really hard working and he couldn't half spank 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCfq--gLrHM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016

If Morgan Fox was to admit he was Gay I'd then want Chris Solly to come out confirming he's straight (Just for clarification).

This is probably why there are surveys about this sort of thing from the chants that are sung on the terraces... Is something that will never go I believe and reckon that players shouldnt take it personally... Unless your a complete prick of a Footballer, no chant should ever be taken that way as its just designed (from my view) to put the opposition off and to stop them playing well / winning

So black players shouldn't take racist abuse personally?

Of course it is, in part, to put players off but it can also be done as an excuse to voice vile views on people who the chanters consider "less" than them.
    Good point... Didnt think of that when I posted.
  • Options

Just seen this article on the BBC Sport website... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/37760114

Most sports fans in England, Wales and Scotland say they would be comfortable with their club signing a gay player, with only 8% of fans saying they'd refuse to watch their team it makes me wonder why they'd refuse to watch their team simply because of the sexual orientation of someone.

Where does everyone stand on this?

To be honest for me I dont care whether a Player is Straight / Gay / Bi-Sexual or undecided... I dont see why anyone should have to come out in the public advising of their orientation because its none of my business and ultimately if you play well you'll be praised by fans on the pitch, if you dont then you'll receive abuse.

I don't care where they put it as long as they put it in the back of the net.
  • Options

So black players shouldn't take racist abuse personally?

Of course it is, in part, to put players off but it can also be done as an excuse to voice vile views on people who the chanters consider "less" than them.

I wouldn't be surprised if some players are out to their team mates but don't to go public so that can avoid the attention for themselves and their partner/family.

Sooner or later a gay player will come out while playing and it will be news. And then another and it will still be news, and then another and it will be smaller news and eventually, after a few years or decades, it won't be news at all.
    Agreed - it will be hard for the first player to be openly out in the same way it was for black players in the 60s,70s and 80s. Why anybody cares if a player is gay is beyond me.
  • Options
    I think it might be more to do with their contemporaries rather than the fans these days.

Imagine a room full of under educated, young men from council estates. Not exactly the most open and welcoming environment if you feel like you're going to stand out.
  • Options

I think it might be more to do with their contemporaries rather than the fans these days.

Imagine a room full of under educated, young men from council estates. Not exactly the most open and welcoming environment if you feel like you're going to stand out.

Be worse if you play for a Muslim team.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Let's not all get holier than thou, though

To build on that very valid point - nobody is going to seriously post on this thread that they are homophobic or that gays should be locked up etc... - or similarly that they are racist. So FA's opening post was only ever going to get a unanimous condemnation of homophobia.

As I write this there are 192 people online on this forum - statistically (and very approximately) 20 will be gay, but 20 will be homophobic and 20 will be racists.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    bobmunro said:

Carter said:

To build on that very valid point - nobody is going to seriously post on this thread that they are homophobic or that gays should be locked up etc... - or similarly that they are racist. So FA's opening post was only ever going to get a unanimous condemnation of homophobia.

As I write this there are 192 people online on this forum - statistically (and very approximately) 20 will be gay, but 20 will be homophobic and 20 will be racists.
    To be fair part of me was actually hoping to find one of the 8% on CharltonLife.

My view on the matter is clear yet I'll always respect other people's views and opinions, yes I wouldnt agree with one of the 8% if they posted on here but I wouldnt stone them or condemn them for being disgusting or moan they should get out of the stone age.

Ultimately they have that view for a reason and would love to know why
  • Options
    Carter said:

It is as much the right of the gay man to play professional football as it is the straight man and I fully support any footballer who would come out

Put your hand up if you have sung about holding hands or whether boyfriends are aware their partners are in attendance when playing Brighton. I'll admit I have and I'll also admit I'm not proud of it. Until I had a friend come out about 15 years ago possibly longer, I knew next to nothing about the LGBT community ignorantly and genuinely thought you chose to be gay or not and was completely ignorant. I now have a number of good friends who are homosexual and my opinions and feelings towards them are not altered one bit. They are my friends who happen to be gay.

So to summarise, I couldn't care less if one of our players was gay or bisexual. Same as I couldn't care less if they were a different skin pigmentation to me. Only care about how good a footballer they are.

And as Leroy pointed out, statistically out of the 22 players on a pitch at any given time two of them will be gay or bisexual.

Joey Barton made a good point a while ago about how football changing rooms are quite right wing in the sense that footballers are generally uneducated and ignorant of the world outside of their own bubble but said he didn't believe anyone would be bullied for choosing to come out and be themselves.

If anything I imagine they would get the same sort of stick someone with massive ears would get or someone who has got a bastard haircut. The sort of playful teasing you only do with people you like

I have said things I'm not proud off - but I think that is part of the point. When we challenge ourselves and know it is wrong we stop it. A lot of football fans don't think decent standards apply to them. And judging by what they get away with on occasions, they probably don't/
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!