Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / Scunthorpe. Is this the game to boycott ?

It's been almost a year now since I last went to a home game. So bad was the the 3-0 reverse against Preston I promised that would be my last game until we were done with Roland and katrien. I'm sure that this game isn't included in the current season ticket , so why would anybody want to pay even more to get served up more dross ? The ground will only have the lower tiers open and the east stand entirely shut. I'd be up for a car park protest or a beer whilst the game goes on inside an empty stadium.
Mind you, if we get a good cup run I still don't think I'll be after a ticket. Saturday without charlton is not as bad as I thought it would be. All down to the regime. COYR

Comments

• Options
    i hear you mate but there are waaaay too many people that just can't step away. i'd love 5000 of us in the car park, bbq's, beers, singing, jumping around like loons whilst the game played to an empty stadium......can't see it happening though
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I'll be taking my mother in law, brother in law sister in law and nephew to a game they can afford to get into. For my nephew it gives him the opportunity to further bond with Charlton, he come from a Millwall family, before his mum married my brother in law.
  • Options
    I will boycott if someone can work out how to put a Notting hill style, or equivalent sound system within reach of the Valley.

• Options

I will boycott if someone can work out how to put a Notting hill style, or equivalent sound system within reach of the Valley.

Surely this can be done playing the anti regime song over & over again ? Anyone know someone in the heights with "understanding neighbors" ?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I was wrong before when I said that Charlton's fanbase didnt have it in them to get games disrupted.

However, a full boycott is something that I just don't think will happen. There are unfortunately still quite a lot of people who don't follow the protest news or don't really care about it.

We could try it but the smattering of such fans in the ground will just make it look like a crap attendance for a 1st round cup game. Nobody will bat an eyelid at that
  • Options
    3-5k will always turn up for a league game.

We want to watch the game, sit down protesters, we are ambivalent about Roland and Katrien.

All of them.
  • Options

3-5k will always turn up for a league game.

We want to watch the game, sit down protesters, we are ambivalent about Roland and Katrien.

All of them.

I think the OP is referring to the FA Cup game in two weeks rather than when they visit in the League
  • Options
    I'm not going. Can't remember the last FA Cup home game I missed when I was in the country...possibly never have in 50 years!!
  • Options
    I did the FA Cup matches in 2011/12 when I went everywhere but thats the only season I've truly done them.

I stopped going to FA Cup matches when we lost 2-1 to Leicester a few years ago... Bloody awful we were and lost thanks to a late Dion Dublin (?) winner, this was when we were a Premier League side losing to a Leicester side in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicholas said:

We need to give the team as much support as possible in the Fa Cup. If we don't get that 3rd round draw against Huddersfield then I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

How can we get motivated though when we didnt get the First Round draw against Oxford?
  • Options
    How would you measure success? The crowd is unlikely to be much more than 6,000 so 4,000 would be unremarkable.
  • Options
    Always lower attendences spin FA Cup matches anyway
  • Options
    Airman, I think you're right. It's the perfect game for a boycott but too many will go regardless. If there's an "official" boycott then I'll boycott, if not I'll bite the bullet and reluctantly give the regime a ten pound note and see for myself the pile of shite you regulars have to sit through week after week.

Someone's got to win the cup. Why shouldn't it be us? (Rhetorical question!)
  • Options
    We have been getting low crowds in the FA cup for years against mediocre oppositions at home ( when was the last time we had a premier giant at home ? )
    The protests have resonance with the greater football public: if you catch the imagination with stress balls or flying pigs;but people boycotting have next to no impact because when teams get relegated they lose crowds. A Chelsea fan reminded me that he was in 7K crowds at the bridge when they where in the second tier.
    We have the football tourist now, i have meet many People at Charlton in the last few years who don't support Charlton or the away team but because you can get a ticket at a reasonable price, £17 as opposed to £50 plus in the premier( If you can even get a ticket on the day in Prem ?)
    they will watch a game.

Boycotting is giving Duchatelet and Meire what they want.
    They don't want fans they want customers.

Isn't that 100% clear now ?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Airman, I think you're right. It's the perfect game for a boycott but too many will go regardless. If there's an "official" boycott then I'll boycott, if not I'll bite the bullet and reluctantly give the regime a ten pound note and see for myself the pile of shite you regulars have to sit through week after week.

Someone's got to win the cup. Why shouldn't it be us? (Rhetorical question!)

Worth remembering that for a first round FA Cup game the club only gets 47.5% of the revenue after VAT and allowable costs have been deducted. So for an adult ticket, Charlton cannot receive more than £3.96 per head.
  • Options
    Ah hah, so the perfect game for an in stadium protest.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Kap10 said:

I'll be taking my mother in law

Ooh! Brutal!
    I'm not the biggest fan of mine, but even I wouldn't stoop to making her watch Charlton in the FA Cup.
  • Options

Ah hah, so the perfect game for an in stadium protest.

I would think so
  • Options
    I'd boycott the replay
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

I'd boycott the replay

I predict a 100% Charlton boycott of the following round.
  • Options
    Stig said:

cabbles said:

I'd boycott the replay

True, you can't draw your way through a knock out competition
  • Options
    Actually you can, penalties

It's called the England way. Play not to get beat in the hope the opposing nation are shit at pens. They never are
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Stig said:

cabbles said:

I'd boycott the replay

True, you can't draw your way through a knock out competition
    We could draw every game and draw every replay and go through on pens.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Actually you can, penalties

It's called the England way. Play not to get beat in the hope the opposing nation are shit at pens. They never are

We've scored 1 in 4
  • Options
    Stig said:

cabbles said:

I'd boycott the replay

I fancy us to go on a cup run this season, we'll get a replay..........................