Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Beaurain RIP

We thought some fans might be interested in some recent correspondence to the Museum.

This was the email that the club received and which was passed to the museum
---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir / Madam,

Re: Anthony John Beaurain, DOB 2 October 1935

I write about Anthony John "Tony" Beaurain who died earlier this month in Hong Kong.
I understand that Tony B as he's known in Hong Kong, played for Charlton Athletic about 60 years ago.

I've been asked to arrange the tributes part of Tony's funeral service and wake, which will take place on Sunday 23 October 2016.

I hope you or a colleague can confirm Tony's role at Charlton, and if he was connected with CAFC, perhaps CAFC might send a condolence message to Tony's family and friends, by all means use my email as the contact point.

Tony is survived by his long time partner Zuzanna, his daughter, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, brothers and their families.

I look forward to hearing from you.

With best regards,
Julian Stargardt
------------------------------------------------

After some research by the museum trustees we were able to find some information about Tony Beaurain and this was the reply sent to Julian yesterday on headed paper by the club

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Julian,

We were all sad to hear of Tony's passing.

Thank you for letting us know and please pass on our condolences to his family and friends.

From our records held in the Charlton Athletic Museum it seems Tony played for the Charlton Athletic Colts (youth) team in 1956.

We have the match diaries from that era that were completed by the manager with notes on each players performance.

We have extracted the results and notes from the 8 games we are aware he played.

7/1/56 at Portsmouth lost 1-0 Inside Left. “Best of inside forwards”
14/1/56 v Spurs lost 2-0. Inside right. “Poor, timid not fit”
21/1/56 at Watford lost 5-2 . Inside right. “Fair, had to play at wing half” – presumably to cover for A. Davis who was moved to centre half in place of Roach who was “useless”!
10/3/56 v Spurs drew 2-2 Inside left. “Tired soon, lack of training. Used ball well”
24/3/56 at Arsenal drew 2-2 - scored 1 goal. Inside left. “Good game but lacks training”
7/4/56 at West Ham won 3-2 scored 1 goal. Inside left. “Very good. Always dangerous, used his brain”
14/4/56 v Portsmouth lost 4-3 scored 1 goal. Inside left. “Good. Good ball distribution, poor physically?” [Not sure of writing]
21/4/56 at Brentford won 3-1. Inside left. “Good but tired towards end”

It would appear that Tony was a skillful inside forward (what today would be called an attacking midfielder) but who lacked the fitness expected of young professionals, perhaps because he hadn't played at that high level before.

As you can see he was up against the youth teams of major clubs such as Arsenal, West Ham and Portsmouth but he scored against all of them.

We would be fascinated to learn anymore about his time at Charlton, where he lived, where else he played football and especially to see any letters, contracts or photographs connected to his time with the club.

I hope this reaches you in time to contribute to the tributes at his funeral.

Our thoughts are with you and all Tony's friends and family at this time

--------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• Options
    What a brilliant response.
  • Options
    Jeez, "poor, timid, not fit". That will go down well at the eulogy.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Any man laid to rest at a service attended by four generations of his extended family at which they learn he played a part in Charlton Athletic's glorious past will have had made them very proud.

Rest in peace Tony.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Typical classy comment.

RIP Tony

• Options

Off_it said:

Typical classy comment.

RIP Tony

?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I'm sure that “Best of inside forwards”, “Very good. Always dangerous, used his brain” and "Good ball distribution", will make it a better eulogy.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Off_it said:

I'm sure that “Best of inside forwards”, “Very good. Always dangerous, used his brain” and "Good ball distribution", will make it a better eulogy.
    Of course. If it was me I would've given them selected highlights of the comments along with the summary. Some times you don't need to tell people everything.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At what level is it ok not to care if someone played for Charlton?
  • Options
    It would seem that he was very proud of his time with our great club and why not? He played at a level that many of us, me included, could only dream of at a time when we were in a far better place than the lower reaches of the third division. RIP Addick.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Shh! Proper Charlton. RIP
  • Options
    RIP Tony
  • Options
    Stig said:

Off_it said:

Personally, I think it's good that all the comments in the archives were sent. Nobody is perfect and I don't expect everybody to pretend I was when I die. A good friend of mine passed away a couple of years ago and during the eulogy it was very gently said that he was "a follower, rather than a leader" - I recognised him in this comment and surely you want to remember people as they really were? I was in the position of being "a leader" and I wanted him to take over from me but he just didn't want to, that wasn't him - I was frustrated but we didn't fall out and that sentence reminded me of what a great bloke he was.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Off_it said:

........and three goals against Arsenal, West Ham and Portsmouth. I wish I could say that about myself.
  • Options
    RIP