Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gary Sprake RIP

The keeper of the Leeds 60s/70s team had died aged 71.

Comments

• Blimey, there's a blast from M.O.T.D's of the past!

RIP

• RIP careless hands

Wonder if any of his Leeds team will attend the funeral
  • Not a brilliant keeper, but part of one of the best teams I've ever seen play football.

RIP.
  • edited October 2016
    Played a major part in the Revie side which swept the board in the seventies and a very good Welsh international goalkeeper IMO. Prone to the odd howler mainly in live TV matches which clouded a lot of people's judgement of him.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/20/gary-sprake-obituary#scso=uid_WAnF8AAPFQMKwAVBTQRjvA_0:0
    RIP
  • edited October 2016
    RIP Gary Sprake

Grew up really loving the Leeds team of the early seventies I don't know why I just did
  • edited October 2016

RIP Gary Sprake

Grew up really loving the Leeds team of the early seventies I don't know why I just did

Me too, it wasn't pretty at times but they knew how to win, literally fought tooth and nail for one another and had no shortage of good skilful players throughout the team (a bit like our promotion team in 2011/12)
  • Sponsored links:

• Like a lot of keepers he will be remembered for his blunders rather than his saves and the fact that Harvey replaced him for some important matches. But he was better than than that as evidenced by the 500 plus games and more than 200 clean sheets before being sold for a world record fee for a goalkeeper at the time of £100,000.

RIP
  • edited October 2016
    RIP

One of those goalkeepers who could be brilliant one moment and make a real howler the next.

Those of us 'of an age' all remember the howlers such as throwing the ball in his own net but he had a good few years in goal for Leeds and played a lot of internationals for Wales so must have done something right.

• RIP careless hands

The above appears to have upset someone.

For those that don't know careless hands was Sprake's nickname, one that was accepted by the man himself & he gave his autobiography the same name. Despite the nickname he would have been a decent keeper given he played for a good team and won major trophies.

Following his comments about Revie, which probably caused Revie to leave the England job, he was ostracised by his former Leeds teammates. To the best of my knowledge he spoke to no Leeds teammate for 30 years, a club where players of that generation regularly meet. He was then reconciled with Eddie Gray but had no contact with any of the others. His comments regarding Revie were not in isolation McLintock, Ball and others also spoke out.

• RIP careless hands

The above appears to have upset someone.

For those that don't know careless hands was Sprake's nickname, one that was accepted by the man himself & he gave his autobiography the same name. Despite the nickname he would have been a decent keeper given he played for a good team and won major trophies.

Following his comments about Revie, which probably caused Revie to leave the England job, he was ostracised by his former Leeds teammates. To the best of my knowledge he spoke to no Leeds teammate for 30 years, a club where players of that generation regularly meet. He was then reconciled with Eddie Gray but had no contact with any of the others. His comments regarding Revie were not in isolation McLintock, Ball and others also spoke out.
    o

Revie for all his faults (and there were many) did not suffer fools. Sprake would not have survived in the cauldron that was Elland Road in those days if he had not had something about him.

RIP
  • RIO, a player I remember well
  • I have a wonderful black and white, 10" x 8" glossy press photo of Eddie Firmani, Jack Charlton and Gary Sprake all jumping for the ball during a league game at the Valley during the 63/4 season, against a packed east terrace.

RIP.
  • R.I.P. A relatively young age to go, and sad.
  • RIP Gary Sprake

So did I, i even adopted them as my second team that way i could give itto all the kids who supported so called Big London teams.
    Something i couldn't do supporting Charlton.