Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Gillingham fixture

What does the Gillingham fixture mean to you? If anything?

Is it really a 'derby'? Are we rivals? I have never understood it, just another game for me.

Comments

• Its like being a Crystal Palace fan for the day.

i.e. Dont feel anything prior to the match, dont really care about Gillingham... But I'd love it if we win ;)
  • apart from the points, i couldn't care less
  • We proved to them the year before last that we are Number one in Kent!
  • Not that far for me.

Just another ground to tick off.

However, looks proper grim!
  • I live in Gillingham ! Work with gills supporters so big game for me
  • Think they have a bit more against us than we do against them... Just a nice local away fixture..
  • It's a localish game, but I wouldn't call it a derby......just another match to me.

I expect it means more to the Gills fans given the fuss Scally made over our transport facilities during the Premiership years.
  • edited October 2016
    Charlton is historically located in Kent until it became part of London. Gillingham claim that they're the only true Kentish team in the Football League, and they also think we are evil for daring to extend the Valley Express into Kent even though loads of fans live in Kent...

Basically they will really want to beat us.

Also didn't someone post the link last month to some herbert on Twitter who ranked us the worst football club in London and he was a Gills fan?

EDIT Here's his account: https://twitter.com/oidptg

Absolutely disgusting feed, amazingly he has over 1K followers. Would love him to repeat his bile against Charlton in the away fans pub on Saturday, see if he makes it out without getting his tracksuit ripped.
  • A chance to let rip with some protest songs.
  • Not a derby but should be a good local game on the piss, 2000+ addicks. Shame we couldn't sell out.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it's bigger than a "normal" game, but isn't anywhere on the scale compared to how I feel about a Millwall/Palace match.
  • It used to be a big day out, late 60's, early 70's in the Kent cup.
    Somewhere the little Charlton Herberts could go and smash a few shop windows and practice for going to palace.
  • It used to be a big day out, late 60's, early 70's in the Kent cup.
    Somewhere the little Charlton Herberts could go and smash a few shop windows and practice for going to palace.

Was Palace a big game back then ? I assumed that was something that really developed during our Selhurst days.
  • se9addick said:

It used to be a big day out, late 60's, early 70's in the Kent cup.

Was Palace a big game back then ? I assumed that was something that really developed during our Selhurst days.
    oh yes.
  • If you live south of Dartford it's probably more important to you than if you live in Greater London.
  • Nothing game
  • Fiiish said:

Charlton is historically located in Kent until it became part of London. Gillingham claim that they're the only true Kentish team in the Football League, and they also think we are evil for daring to extend the Valley Express into Kent even though loads of fans live in Kent...

Also didn't someone post the link last month to some herbert on Twitter who ranked us the worst football club in London and he was a Gills fan?

Absolutely disgusting feed, amazingly he has over 1K followers. Would love him to repeat his bile against Charlton in the away fans pub on Saturday, see if he makes it out without getting his tracksuit ripped.

Charlton (the place) has been part of a London borough since 1900 (The Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich) so for the entire life of the football club, the club has always come under London...

Personally, Gillingham mean little to me in terms of rivalry.
  • edited October 2016

Fiiish said:

Charlton (the place) has been part of a London borough since 1900 (The Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich) so for the entire life of the football club, the club has always come under London...

True. It's more accessible to some parts of Kent than Gillingham is though.

I honestly couldn't care about it. Just would be good to beat them since it would wind up the herberts who hate us just because we have a bus.
  • Not a derby, but a local to many CAFC fans & for some easier & quicker to get to.

should beat then but we wont. FA Cup game a few years back is typical - go 1-0 up very early on & should win easily - we don't follow through & end up losing.

expect the same on Saturday.
  • edited October 2016
    Made more of an irritant by that specky penfold lookalike spanner twat of a chairman of theirs. His stirring over Valley Gold and the fact most Jills supporters had two marbles but lost one has meant a myth has developed down here about the whole episode.

They would love to beat us but they seem every bit as shit as us ATM so i am going 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Means nothing to me. Disappointed that we haven't sold out.
  • Fiiish said:

But surely it means a bit more than Rochdale or Oldham ? Actually I'd say it's more exciting than say Bournemouth or AFC Wimbledon.
  • Never met a gills fan in my life so can't hate them.
  • It's JILLS.... really twists their melon that one.
  • don't think much of them as a rival but I guess the game means more than say, us playing Watford.
  • edited October 2016

don't think much of them as a rival but I guess the game means more than say, us playing Watford.

Where would Gillingham rank within our London rivalries then? For me Palace and Millwall are our biggest games, then West Ham. I can't be bothered to rank the rest but I'd put Gillingham somewhere around the same level as Brentford and Orient.

I think the main reason why we would care about the Gillingham game more than others in our division is because our club's fans are more likely able to point to where Gillingham is on a map than most other clubs' fans.

Hilariously, Gillingham count Swindon as one of their biggest rivals. Watch out Wiltshire.
  • Fiiish said:

don't think much of them as a rival but I guess the game means more than say, us playing Watford.

Where would Gillingham rank within our London rivalries then? For me Palace and Millwall are our biggest games, then West Ham. I can't be bothered to rank the rest but I'd put Gillingham somewhere around the same level as Brentford and Orient.

I think the main reason why we would care about the Gillingham game more than others in our division is because our club's fans are more likely able to point to where Gillingham is on a map than most other clubs' fans.

Hilariously, Gillingham count Swindon as one of their biggest rivals. Watch out Wiltshire.
    I'd go

1&2 - Palace & Millwall (in no respective order, not getting into that one again)
    3 - West Ham
    4 - Gillingham
    5 - Chelsea, Fulham, Spurs, Arsenal, Orient
    6 - All other London teams
  • It means more to Gillingham fans than it does us I promise you, it will be a noxious boardroom that day if Scally and Miere are both in attendance and he will desperately want to beat us.

For me I know a few proper Gillingham fans and a shitload of part time ones that support man United and arsenal in the pub the rest of the time. I'll tell all of them to fuck off when they attempt to wind me up when we inevitably fold on Saturday
  • Just another fixture really.
    Nothing else to add.