Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD STATEMENT: Bring your own banner to Chesterfield

Comments

• Options

If a steward tries to take your banner, tell him, "it's banner time, U can't touch this!".

Heroic
  • Options

Stig said:

If we continue to protest , can we leave it to just the cup games ,
    Give the team a chance to survive this season !

I find it utterly incredible anyone can still say this.

THE FACTS PROVE THAT CHARLTON GET BETTER RESULTS WHEN THERE ARE IN GROUND PROTESTS !
    Is that scientifically proven with a double blind test or just clinically proven?

When asked, did seven out of eleven Charlton players say they preferred in-game protests?
    It's about results. By my reckoning the the matches where we can say that we protested are as follows:

28/11/15 Stand Up For the 2%. Lost 3-0 to Ipswich.
    30/01/16 Two giant banners in away end at NY Stadium. Beat Rotherham 4-1.
    06/02/16 Home made banners. Lost 1-0 to Bristol City.
    08/03/16 Pinocchio masks, a whole box of Pinocchio sponsors and a placard featuring Meire's fake resignation. Drew 0-0 with MKD.
    13/03/16 Coffin, beach balls and a walk out. Beat Middlesbrough 2-0.
    02/04/16 Stress Balls. Beat Birmingham 2-1.
    23/04/16 Joint march with Brighton fans. Lost 3-1 to Brighton.
    07/05/16 Liar banner, fans on the pitch and ripped up sofa. Lost To Burnley 4-0.
    15/10/16 Flying Pigs. Beat Coventry 3-0.

P W D L F A P GD PPG GDPG
    9 4 1 4 12 13 13 -1 1.44 -0.11

Whilst the claim that 'we only win when we protest' doesn't quite stand up to scrutiny, if you compare these results with results of matches when we didn't protest you'll see that protest matches produce, on average, results of mid-table mediocrity whilst non-protest matches are of relegation standard. In short, the drip feed of concern from a small minority of fans who'd like to use team performance as an argument against the protests is completely unfounded.

Of course, nine matches is only a small sample and there could be other things affecting the results. In particular that eight out of the nine matches were at home with only one away. Under normal circumstances this may count for a lot, but under this toxic regime Charlton doesn't actually have a home advantage to affect the results. Potentially skewing results in the other direction is the fact that three of the nine matches concerned were towards the end of the season against teams with promotion or championship aspirations. Finally, if you look at the main matches where Card organised things to go on the pitch, Middlesbrough, Birmingham and Coventry, we have won them all.

It's hard to make a serious claim that the protests have actually helped Charlton's results, except in the case of the Middlesbrough match where a whistle in the crowd spoiled a potential goal scoring attack for the visitors. It is though, nonsense to keep repeating the mantra that they are damaging - clearly they aren't.

The results do seem slightly better when we've had major protests, but to be confident of a causal link we would need a lot more evidence - I am all in favour of that!
    There was also the pre game protests outside the west stand against shef wendies. Which we won one of Karels 2 wins. I remember a couple of players said they could hear the nose from the dressing room and it spurred them on.
    Cheers Canters! Here's a revised table of protest results.

10 5 1 4 15 14 16 1 1.6 0.1
  • Options

Stig said:

If we continue to protest , can we leave it to just the cup games ,
    Give the team a chance to survive this season !

I find it utterly incredible anyone can still say this.

THE FACTS PROVE THAT CHARLTON GET BETTER RESULTS WHEN THERE ARE IN GROUND PROTESTS !
    Is that scientifically proven with a double blind test or just clinically proven?

When asked, did seven out of eleven Charlton players say they preferred in-game protests?
    It's about results. By my reckoning the the matches where we can say that we protested are as follows:

28/11/15 Stand Up For the 2%. Lost 3-0 to Ipswich.
    30/01/16 Two giant banners in away end at NY Stadium. Beat Rotherham 4-1.
    06/02/16 Home made banners. Lost 1-0 to Bristol City.
    08/03/16 Pinocchio masks, a whole box of Pinocchio sponsors and a placard featuring Meire's fake resignation. Drew 0-0 with MKD.
    13/03/16 Coffin, beach balls and a walk out. Beat Middlesbrough 2-0.
    02/04/16 Stress Balls. Beat Birmingham 2-1.
    23/04/16 Joint march with Brighton fans. Lost 3-1 to Brighton.
    07/05/16 Liar banner, fans on the pitch and ripped up sofa. Lost To Burnley 4-0.
    15/10/16 Flying Pigs. Beat Coventry 3-0.

9 4 1 4 12 13 13 -1 1.44 -0.11

Whilst the claim that 'we only win when we protest' doesn't quite stand up to scrutiny, if you compare these results with results of matches when we didn't protest you'll see that protest matches produce, on average, results of mid-table mediocrity whilst non-protest matches are of relegation standard. In short, the drip feed of concern from a small minority of fans who'd like to use team performance as an argument against the protests is completely unfounded.

Of course, nine matches is only a small sample and there could be other things affecting the results. In particular that eight out of the nine matches were at home with only one away. Under normal circumstances this may count for a lot, but under this toxic regime Charlton doesn't actually have a home advantage to affect the results. Potentially skewing results in the other direction is the fact that three of the nine matches concerned were towards the end of the season against teams with promotion or championship aspirations. Finally, if you look at the main matches where Card organised things to go on the pitch, Middlesbrough, Birmingham and Coventry, we have won them all.

It's hard to make a serious claim that the protests have actually helped Charlton's results, except in the case of the Middlesbrough match where a whistle in the crowd spoiled a potential goal scoring attack for the visitors. It is though, nonsense to keep repeating the mantra that they are damaging - clearly they aren't.

The results do seem slightly better when we've had major protests, but to be confident of a causal link we would need a lot more evidence - I am all in favour of that!
    There was also the pre game protests outside the west stand against shef wendies. Which we won one of Karels 2 wins. I remember a couple of players said they could hear the nose from the dressing room and it spurred them on.
    'they could hear the nose'

She does love the sound of her own voice.
  • Options
    "Charlton fans cannot ring Talksport"
  • Options

i'm going to make my banner quite easy for the stewards to find in the hope that it'll help my knife and flair gun go undetected.

Nice one. I don't think they'll find the chopper down my trousers. Nobody else ever has.

• Options
    Uboat said:

Sorry to sound desperate, but where are non-ST holders buying for this game? It's harder work protesting on your own with a load of disapproving apologists staring at you like you're a terrorist.

Get rid of the ISIS banner then and go for something more football related. :smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Uboat said:

Sorry to sound desperate, but where are non-ST holders buying for this game? It's harder work protesting on your own with a load of disapproving apologists staring at you like you're a terrorist.

No good turning up in your work clothes mate put your civies on you won't attract so much attention :wink: .
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Uboat said:

j block, north upper. Look out for our flag.
  • Options
    I wonder if the fearsome foursome will be on duty Saturday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or how long it takes to unpick the sewing and start again?

Flag full of holes as well if you have a polyester number.

I would expect.
  • Options
    I've done mine
  • Options
    You like it then?

• Options

Oh blimey @cobbles you still kicking up a stink about that
  • Options
    "you're worse leaders than Jeremy Corbyn"
  • Options
    David Cameron, Theresa May and Katrien Meire.

Leaders with a plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a georgeous young lady.

Those were the days. I now feel more like Kevin spacey in American beauty sort of.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I've done mine

Fixed it for you.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    CARD said:

Less than 2 days to go to get your banners finalised folks.......

We have been blown away by the enthusiastic response to Free Speech Day. We expect that the number and the sheer ingenuity of the banners that you will be displaying on Saturday will be spectacular. Let's get a load of photos of them on here after the event so everyone can share in the fun, but also to share the very serious messages to the regime that they convey.

But, we are mindful that not everyone has the time or wherewithal to make a banner, so CARD will be providing about 100 flags on the day to help out a bit. They will be a rather eye catching variation on a familiar theme - we will say no more.

These will be distributed at the Royal Oak pub between 2.15 and 2.30 - first come first served, while stocks last, one per person etc. All we ask is that if you take one you do commit to displaying it!

These flags will meet safety requirements. Please remember to ensure your own banners do too.

And remember to hide them down your undies, where searching hands just can't go!

Thanks again for the great response. Looking forward to seeing you there.

The photos had better be taken before the game, as it's possible there won't be that many still in posession after the game.
  • Options

Well they won't be taking ours.

Feck me. @SE7toSG3 has become a rozzer.

• Options
    Last game the woman and two blokes behind myself and my son hated it when we stood up for the songs. Looking forward to holding the banner in front of them.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

imageimage" />

I don't want to put a downer on things, but defeated at Falkirk and subsequently hung, drawn and quartered wasn't he?

Anybody seen any gibbets being erected in the West Stand Car Park? They might not just be for Halloween.

Someone might think he's got a use for the Sabatier Perrier set he got for catering college after all.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    cafcfan said:

mrbligh said:

imageimage" />

I don't want to put a downer on things, but defeated at Falkirk and subsequently hung, drawn and quartered wasn't he?

Anybody seen any gibbets being erected in the West Stand Car Park? They might not just be for Halloween.

Someone might think he's got a use for the Sabatier Perrier set he got for catering college after all.
    So, what you are really saying is that the time to worry is when Roland unveils the true nature of his masterplan - with Charlton Athletic applying to join the Scottish Football League....

Maybe, like Slade, Wallace should have urged patience and gone for 451 for the away fixture (though I worry that Brussels will choose it for home, when he's dreaming of smooth-talking Rachel Reeves on Countdown, and when ordering at the local Chinese takeaway...).
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

mrbligh said:

imageimage" />

As far as I am aware Mel Gibson is alive and kicking