Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD STATEMENT: Bring your own banner to Chesterfield

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Uboat said:

My Korean flag arrived yesterday. Does 5' x 3' breach fire regulations?
    My first idea was to add the phrase, 'Get the fuck out of our club, you Belgian wankers' but I don't want to be un-PC, so I'm going for 'Get the fuck out of our club, you wankers'.
    I can't decide whether to wave it freely from the Covered End or brave the denizens of the Lower West in a bid to annoy Sue Perks. Where is everyone else going?

Could you not write it in their native language? That way the stewards would probably not know what it says.
  • What was Katrien's words about the history of the club that were literally translated as 'I don't give a shit'?

'Je men fou'

(Google translate says this means 'I don't care')
  • What was Katrien's words about the history of the club that were literally translated as 'I don't give a shit'?

'Je men fou'

(Google translate says this means 'I don't care')

Who cares about her last words, I'm looking forward to her words after Uncle Roland goes: "Gissa job".

:wink:
  • So if requested by a steward are we giving up the banners/flags or refusing
  • I'm going to quickly stuff it down my trousers and invite them to be filmed trying to get it out.

Then do them for sexual assault, good thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going to quickly stuff it down my trousers and invite them to be filmed trying to get it out.

Then do them for sexual assault, good thinking.
    Nooo, post the footage on Grindr along with their company phone number.

Is this for your personal video collection?
  • IA said:

OK, I'm in Chesterfield with my banner. What now?

talk about wrong place wrong time..
  • Had a vision. Daisy takes her seat, the crowd all stand up and clap in unison two beats to the second, hands held high so Daisy can see them clapping, a little NK flag held between thumb and forefinger, the first one to stop clapping is throttled by undercover secret service agents for being disrespectful to our leader.
  • I get the feeling there's going to be a few fights with stewards at the turnstiles this weekend then!
  • If a flag is safety proof and does not contain any foul and abusive language, on what grounds can the stewards prevent you from entering with the flag?

I suggest any issues are filmed and released on social media to further exposure how the SMT continue to treat supporters.
  • jamescafc said:

If a flag is safety proof and does not contain any foul and abusive language, on what grounds can the stewards prevent you from entering with the flag?

I suggest any issues are filmed and released on social media to further exposure how the SMT continue to treat supporters.

They could use the argument that statements on the flag are 'offensive' or 'inflammatory'.

This could allow them to refuse most flags, so best to take note of @cantersaddick suggestions:

I think if they try and remove a banner/flag from you we should roughly include the following steps.

Firstly keep a good hold of you flag. Out of their reach while the conversation is taking place. As I found out at the Coventry match they are more than happy to 'take' it from your hands.

Second ask to see some ID. Obvious reasons.

Then ask for a reason why it is being removed from you. If they say safety don't accept that (assuming you banner meets the size requirements in the CARD statement). Keep pressing them from a reason.

Ask for a receipt. Say you will give them the flag as long as you have a receipt to say it was taken off you by who and why and at what time. And also proves that you will be able to get it back and where from.

Once you've done all that. It's up to you whether you give them the flag or not...
  • stonemuse said:

jamescafc said:

If a flag is safety proof and does not contain any foul and abusive language, on what grounds can the stewards prevent you from entering with the flag?

They could use the argument that statements on the flag are 'offensive' or 'inflammatory'.

This could allow them to refuse most flags, so best to take note of @cantersaddick suggestions:

I think if they try and remove a banner/flag from you we should roughly include the following steps.

Firstly keep a good hold of you flag. Out of their reach while the conversation is taking place. As I found out at the Coventry match they are more than happy to 'take' it from your hands.

Second ask to see some ID. Obvious reasons.

Then ask for a reason why it is being removed from you. If they say safety don't accept that (assuming you banner meets the size requirements in the CARD statement). Keep pressing them from a reason.

Ask for a receipt. Say you will give them the flag as long as you have a receipt to say it was taken off you by who and why and at what time. And also proves that you will be able to get it back and where from.

Once you've done all that. It's up to you whether you give them the flag or not...
    Bang on! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• 5' = 152.4 cm which is 2.4cm too big.

To be perfectly within the rules you would need to chop an inch off the edge.

Assuming the stewards have an appropriately tared measuring tape.
  • How about banners with 'fill in the blanks' sections a la 'Have I Got News for You' style:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfEk4VcWMtw
  • jamescafc said:

Unless you have obtained prior permission to bring the flag into the ground, they won't need a reason.
  • Also (apologies if someone else has mentioned it recently) the Chesterfield/Sofa puns. Inoffensive but 'Sofagate' is now part of Charlton folklore.
  • Match day Security Officer Cliff Eager (of Behavioural Contract fame) was still in a meeting at The Valley at 12.25 this afternoon.

Could it be that banners and what constitutes an 'offence' were the first item on the agenda?

A more serious question might surround who is actually in control of Private Security stewards employed for match-day services and what is their agreed remit - a question I have been trying to ask Mr Eager since the Coventry game but one where he is unfortunately either not at The Valley to respond or is in a meeting - as appears to be the case earlier today.