Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A history of Eltham in 20 Objects

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016

Hinds Department Store, in the High Street.
    (Following closure it became an Allders. The site is now occupied by JD Sports, etc.).
    As a child I loved going up and down in the lift, which was surrounded by a rather ornate staircase. The lift operator wore a peaked cap, if memory serves correctly.

Wasn't there some kind of lift servicing related death in there.....or am I imagining it?
  • Options
    The now closed public toilets opposite Mcdonalds.
  • Options
    The field at the top of the Vista in Middle Park where we used to play cricket and dangerously hit golf balls whilst trying to evade the 'parkie'
  • Options
    Is there any old farts (like me) who lived on Coldharbour and remember the blind chap who ran the sweet shop on The Mound.
    Always smartly dressed in a suit he single handily ran the shop.
    It was said he lost his eyesight during the war.
    As a child he always fascinated me the way he used to feel coins when handling money.
  • Options

Is there any old farts (like me) who lived on Coldharbour and remember the blind chap who ran the sweet shop on The Mound.
    As a child he always fascinated me the way he used to feel coins when handling money.

How unlucky can you get? Blind and only had one hand.
  • Options

I remember the sweet shop but I cannot remember the Blind Owner.

However I can remember a lot of the other shops at the Mound. What about the toy shop with a large glass window along the side next to the houses in Sandling Rise.
  • Options

However I can remember a lot of the other shops at the Mound. What about the toy shop with a large glass window along the side next to the houses in Sandling Rise.
    The Sweet shop was almost next to the greengrocers and along from the hardware shop where my dad purchased pink paraffin for our Aladineque paraffin heater.
    Decon's Toy shop which you refer to was owed and run by the Decon family I think.
  • Options

The Sweet shop was almost next to the greengrocers and along from the hardware shop where my dad purchased pink paraffin for our Aladineque paraffin heater.
    Decon's Toy shop which you refer to was owed and run by the Decon family I think.
    I lived in the flat that was located directly above the greengrocers that you mention. Next door to the greengrocer was another shop which I thought was an electrical shop. Then there was the entrance to our flats. And next to the entrance way to the flats was the Sweet shop run by the Blind man.
  • Options

I lived in the flat that was located directly above the greengrocers that you mention. Next door to the greengrocer was another shop which I thought was an electrical shop. Then there was the entrance to our flats. And next to the entrance way to the flats was the Sweet shop run by the Blind man.
    How long did you live there?
    I remember the shoe menders round the corner with a very tall bloke (he seemed tall to me as a child) and the off licence next door where I purchased my Smiths crisps with the blue bag.
    Was there a gents hairdressers along that row of shops and a fish and chip shop.
  • Options

I remember the shoe menders round the corner with a very tall bloke (he seemed tall to me as a child) and the off licence next door where I purchased my Smiths crisps with the blue bag.
    Was there a gents hairdressers along that row of shops and a fish and chip shop.
    I lived in the flats at the Mound from 1959 - 1964, we then moved to Bromhedge.

My memory of the shops from the Church coming down.
    Fish & Chip shop, Gents Barbers. Off licence??, Butchers on the corner, 2nd tobacconist, Ladies hairdesser, 2nd Greengrocer, Bakers, not sure of the last 2.

from the toy shop back.
    Toy shop, Hardware ?, Co op supermarket, not sure of the next one, Chemist on corner., Sweet shop, , Electrical shop, Greengrocer.

I cannot recall the Hardware shop, or properly remember the Off licence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I lived in the flats at the Mound from 1959 - 1964, we then moved to Bromhedge.

My memory of the shops from the Church coming down.
    Fish & Chip shop, Gents Barbers. Off licence??, Butchers on the corner, 2nd tobacconist, Ladies hairdesser, 2nd Greengrocer, Bakers, not sure of the last 2.

from the toy shop back.
    Toy shop, Hardware ?, Co op supermarket, not sure of the next one, Chemist on corner., Sweet shop, , Electrical shop, Greengrocer.

I cannot recall the Hardware shop, or properly remember the Off licence.
    The hardware shop I refer to was after the bakers and next to Langleys grocery shop which was on the corner.
    My cousin worked in Morgans butchers on the corner.

My mum and dad moved to Witherston Way when I was a baby in 1948.
    I have a photo of me on a tricycle in the back garden and in the background are trees in the playing field at the bottom of Witherston way.
    The photo was taken before Greenacres was built.
  • Options

I remember the tall fella too.

I went the Greenacres until 1971 so a little younger than you guys. Lived variously in Beanshaw, Southold Rise, lambarde Avenue and lastly, sandling Rise.
  • Options

I went the Greenacres until 1971 so a little younger than you guys. Lived variously in Beanshaw, Southold Rise, lambarde Avenue and lastly, sandling Rise.
    Do you remember my mum - Mrs Richardson. She worked at Greenacres from the 1970's as a helper in the playground and the classroom, she loved it.
    She would always recount stories about the children.
    She worked at the school for so many years that children of the children came to Greenacres.
    When he retired, my dad occasionally helped at the school.
  • Options
    I lived in Eltham from earl 50 s until 1971 , Eltham park gardens , I went to the open air lido before I caught the train to London from park station , also I knocked around with Bodge Decon from the shop on cold harbour est also Ray lower , we all had motorbikes , drank in the crossways pub , now spend my retirement in Somerset and Spain , so don't get much chance to see the boys play at the valley . Thank goodness for I player
  • Options

I lived in Eltham from earl 50 s until 1971 , Eltham park gardens , I went to the open air lido before I caught the train to London from park station , also I knocked around with Bodge Decon from the shop on cold harbour est also Ray lower , we all had motorbikes , drank in the crossways pub , now spend my retirement in Somerset and Spain , so don't get much chance to see the boys play at the valley . Thank goodness for I player

Was at school with Ray Lower. Whatever happened to him?
  • Options
    Grew up and went to school at Middle Park Avenue/Primary
  • Options
    Remember Eltham baths and the huge pipe in the changing rooms that kept it warm
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Grew up?
  • Options

DA9 said:

Grew up?
    A fair point, well made
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    DA9 said:

Same 'ere.

Still remember the main events.. Woods v Williams football each break time that rolled over the whole week.....ending up with scores like 35-57.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2016

DA9 said:

Same 'ere.

Still remember the main events.. Woods v Williams football each break time that rolled over the whole week.....ending up with scores like 35-57.
    What years were you there?

I went from infants to Junior 73/74 to early 1979 when we moved away to Woolwich.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Same 'ere.

What years were you there?

I went from infants to Junior 73/74 to early 1979 when we moved away to Woolwich.
    Similar times. I was there in juniors from 75. Left in 81 to go to Eltham Green.
  • Options
    Couple of years below me then, started secondary school in September 79,

Mr Williams of Welsh choir fame had just taken over as headmaster when I left
  • Options
    Charltonstu said:

Was at school with Ray Lower. Whatever happened to him?
    Flag Quote · Like LOL

I still see Ray , once a year when we go fishing on the river seven work reunion bash he lives in bexleheath ,
    Retired , not sure what else he gets up too .
  • Options

Remember Mr Williams well.

Our paths must have crossed around Middle Park. I was in The Vista.

I was in the cul de sac on Middle park opposite(ish) churchbury, had two brothers Marc & Mathew, Mathew would have been your year or one above (Tapping)
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Do you remember my mum - Mrs Richardson. She worked at Greenacres from the 1970's as a helper in the playground and the classroom, she loved it.
    She would always recount stories about the children.
    She worked at the school for so many years that children of the children came to Greenacres.
    When he retired, my dad occasionally helped at the school.
    Sorry, no. My memory is poor. I do recall a Richardson family on the estate though, I think that there was one lad a year below me.
  • Options

The hardware shop I refer to was after the bakers and next to Langleys grocery shop which was on the corner.

I have a photo of me on a tricycle in the back garden and in the background are trees in the playing field at the bottom of Witherston way.

John - I lived in The Knolle - coldharbour from 1951 to 1965. My mum worked as a cashier first at Langleys then at Morgans the butchers. She often talked of two young guys working with her at Morgans, can't remember their names. What's the name of your cousin?
  • Options

John - I lived in The Knolle - coldharbour from 1951 to 1965. My mum worked as a cashier first at Langleys then at Morgans the butchers. She often talked of two young guys working with her at Morgans, can't remember their names. What's the name of your cousin?

My cousins name was David Bloomfield.
    He worked at the Mound and I think Morgan also had a shop on the Middle Park estate a Newmarket Green.
  • Options
    John, my mum never mentioned a David. My memory is improving now, she worked mostly at Morgans in Middle Park.

Billy Bonds brother - Mickey also worked there for a year or 2.
  • Options
    I used to live in Glenlea Road the first house on the right No2,I was there from 1966-1978,i remember being gutted when it got pulled down for the new bypass and train/bus station in 1982.