Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The nature of the pro-regime mindset?

From (very) afar, I find it odd that any Charlton fan could be supportive of this regime.

I know there are individuals out there who have vendettas against certain people aligned with CARD & the views of these individuals are easily dismissed or ignored - not interested in them & they don't count.

What I am wondering is how can any fan of our club not be appalled by the actions of RD & the odious Meire over the past 3 years.

Would be interested to understand how they come to the conclusion that things are ok.

How big is this section of our fanbase - does it split down age / class / gender lines?

Comments

• Options
    Oakster, I think you will find that most of them are also members of the Flat Earth Society :smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    If you have a strong stomach, visit elsewhere or an answer to your questions. Colin will fill you in.
  • Options
    That is my opinion too. Some fans just want to see the match and don't even think about who owns the club.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I would hazard a guess that the the apologists are thinly spread although there is more concentration around the prawn sandwich 'siddarn' brigade in the West Stand who seem more vociferous. There is also a sprinkling in the East Stand but they really are the vast MINORITY.

Then of course you have the anti CARD mob (that other forum who shall not be named) who are not necessarily anti regime but at odds with certain names heavily involved in the Coalition.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Oakster said:

Nadou said:

If you have a strong stomach, visit Elsewhere for an answer to your questions. Colin will fill you in.

Not bothered about them - that is all about personal vendettas.

Still cannot understand the "just wanting to watch a game of football " mindset - if you are that disconnected from the destruction of our coub - why bother going in the first place?
    Because they just want to watch a game of football...
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I would hazard a guess that the the apologists are thinly spread although there is more concentration around the prawn sandwich 'siddarn' brigade in the West Stand who seem more vociferous. There is also a sprinkling in the East Stand but they really are the vast MINORITY.

Thanks - good to know! Reading various reports on here it would seem that this minority is not afraid to make itself heard though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in West Stand Lower v Coventry in a block where there was a mix of protesters and non-protesting fans and I didn't witness one crossword between the two. They are all Charlton fans

The most noticed pro-regime voice is I believe Sue Perks (aka Parkes) on the SE& Valiants facebook site.
    She has an added agenda as the wife of the Club Secretary but I would never deny that she is a Charlton fan and her husband has been a loyal servant of the club for nearly three decades I believe.

At the risk of repeating myself, I believe that she has been so taken in by Meire that they are akin to a 19th century Mistress and her servant relationship.

Don't think that there are many, other than a handful on SE7Valiants who are quite so in the thrall of Meire and quite so ready to defend the regime.

• Options
    Are there really that many pro-regime? The only obvious ones are those that have some relationship with management, be it personal or just having access to "important" people.

Most of the others are either indifferent, in that they just want to watch a game, or simply have anti-CARD personal vendettas.

There seem to be a smattering of those who don't believe you can criticize ownership unless you can present the alternative, which I can't understand. It's a bit like not being allowed to ask to have the manager sacked for being useless.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I work with 5 season ticket holders, all long term, 3 of which are valley gold members. They are all of the mindset that they just want to watch cafc on a Saturday afternoon. None of them like or think Katie is doing a good job but are apathetic to the protests. Shame they feel that way
  • Options
    Yes, Rechaser, one of director box pics clearly shows an older gent shouting at a younger gent protesting.

Stonemuse had the stand up if you don't have a brain comment.

There are lots around that don't care. They just want to watch in peace.
  • Options
    I imagine what fuels those who support the regime is hope.
    Hope that it will all somehow work out for the best.
    I also think hope is a positive thing, so it is no surprise that hopeful pro-regime fans are antipathetic towards protestors and the like who chip away at that hope, or who they see as obstructive.
    I admire the optimism but don't share it, but I don't feel antipathy towards the hopeful, simply recognise that they are part of the whole picture.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I cant understand how anyone can be pro-regime, surely relegation to League 1 and our present struggles in the lower half of the table would illustrate how pathetic they are.

If we were in a Hull situation I could understand being pro-regime, after all they are enjoying spells in the premier league and signing good players and look like they want to be successful. Even if their owner is a nutter though with the whole name change thing, its a million miles from our situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I work with 5 season ticket holders, all long term, 3 of which are valley gold members. They are all of the mindset that they just want to watch cafc on a Saturday afternoon. None of them like or think Katie is doing a good job but are apathetic to the protests. Shame

I think we have to accept this. It just doesn't matter to some people as much as it does to others. That's why supporter disappear with relegation. They are true supporters until it's not attractive enough to turn up to games.

I know when I was visiting and had the misfortune to go to the Oldham & Rochdale games, I was more than a little annoyed by the end of the game. Some people just dont have that emotional attachment.

We've just got to accept that there are a lot of these people, and keep them at least notionally on our side, even if they will never be active. What we don't want is to give them a reason to line up behind ownership.
  • Options
    So if someone 'just wants to watch the football' rather than protest then it is fair to assume they are unconcerned about the future of the club. In which case should we refer to them as football supporters rather than Charlton supporters ?
  • Options
    One day when they are sitting there... there are flats where the JS stand used to sit, and 2000 homers in the ground for a 2nd division relegation decider, THIS WILL HAPPEN!

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    A number of excuses are banded about for doing nothing. Realistically, there will always be a percentage of people that will sit on their hands, who cannot bring themselves to do anything despite the need to do so. They could be sitting in their lounge with their house burning down around them but for various spurious reasons (eg they don't want to miss the end of the film, the fire brigade might not get there in time, their neighbours may complain about the fire engine blocking the road) they do nothing.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Yes, Rechaser, one of director box pics clearly shows an older gent shouting at a younger gent protesting.

Stonemuse had the stand up if you don't have a brain comment.

There are lots around that don't care. They just want to watch in peace.

I had "Oi, oi, oi YOU - you muggy c**t" - which was nice.
  • Options
    Hex said:

So if someone 'just wants to watch the football' rather than protest then it is fair to assume they are unconcerned about the future of the club. In which case should we refer to them as football supporters rather than Charlton supporters ?

I don't think so, they just have different priorities. As @cantersaddick says, there's nothing to be gained by playing the "better supporter" game, as that's all driven by personal perspective.

The important thing is to not to drive them into the opposite camp.
  • Options

Hex said:

There is nothing to be gained by saying some are better Charlton fans than others. In fact it only alienates groups. It's exactly what goes on in SE7 Valiants and I'd be keen to avoid anything they do.
    I'm not saying that at all.

If someone just wants to go to a match this week, watch 90 minutes of football and does not care if the team exists next week then surely they have no attachment to that team ? In which case they support football rather than a team.