Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Port Vale v Charlton | Tue 18 Oct | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Port Vale v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 18th October 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancashire)

Introduction

Well Saturday was all rather interesting wasn’t it… It began with a little piggy marching to Football, large numbers of Addicks and Sky Blue fans came together to show their unhappiness at how our respective clubs are ran. That disapproval continued when thousands of those little piggies were thrown on to the pitch, delaying the match for seven minutes. Eventually, the match did go ahead and at long last, for the first time since August, the Addicks recorded a victory… 3-0 was the result and all the little piggies went wee wee wee all the way home.

Straight on the back of that victory, the Addicks return to Football this Tuesday night and as a fan I can’t hide my disapproval – As a season ticket holder for 18-years, I’ve never seen a home game on my birthday. This Tuesday I turn a year younger and it’s the same old story as Charlton head of on their travels as we pay a visit to Port Vale… Based on our form in 2016, maybe it’s not a bad thing we’re away from home.

The Opposition
Name: Port Vale | Manager: Bruno Ribeiro
Ground: Vale Park

With Chris Wilder leaving Northampton for Sheffield United over the summer it left a managerial position available in Northamptonshire which was ultimately taken up by the Port Vale boss: Rob Page… Of course that meant a new role became available, leaving Norman Smurthwaite (Port Vale Chairman) with a job to fill over the summer.

Further up the road and Manchester United were busy courting Jose Mourinho so for the Port Vale to receive a Managerial recommendation from the “Special One” was the last thing Smurthwaite expected… The result was that Port Vale decided to take up that recommendation and so Ribeiro was appointed their first foreign manager and despite being a brave choice, the correct choice it has been.

The Vale have lost just one match at home this season (2-0 against Coventry City), whilst they’ve only lost twice on the road including a 4-0 loss on Saturday against Sheffield United – Port Vale currently occupy 7th and are outside of the Play-Offs on just goal difference and as their rivals: Burton Albion proved last season, anyone can achieve anything in this Division.

Charlton Team News
The only absentee from the Addicks line-up on Saturday was the fact that Jordan Botaka was missing from the bench after picking up an injury whilst on International Duty… the extent (and length) of that injury is currently unknown to myself so you’d expect to see him missing once more this Tuesday night.

Following on from a 3-0 victory though, you’d expect to see very few changes from the Addicks yet being away from home you could see Johnnie Jackson starting in place of Lee Novak with Slade opting for a 4-5-1 formation when without the ball, which can instantly turn into a 4-3-3 when attacking.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Holmes | Crofts | Jackson | Ulvestad | Lookman
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Lennon | Foley | Novak | Ajose | Hanlan

Prediction
Seeing that we’re away from home (and with our current form suspect), I’d say that a draw should be seen as a good result seeing that we’re facing one of the early season surprise packages… Yet having shipped four goals on Saturday I’d say that Port Vale are there for the taking…

We’re in a similar position to the Rotherham (away) result last season… We’ve just won a match having scored a number of goals; defensively we’re suspect so to lose this Tuesday will without doubt be two steps backwards.

Comments

• Options
    Crushing 2 - 0 win (Novak, Holmes (pen) ) as the revitalised Addicks start their steady march up the table towards 5th place.

Same starting XI

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Saturdays results have altered my outlook on this one, Vale will be looking to bounce straight back in front of their fans whilst Rusty will look to protect what he starts out with, a point Scunny style and an outside chance of a win.

My fourth away game of the season, yet to see a reverse so I hope the run continues on my 3rd visit to Vale Park. Match Report and players marks to follow ASAP after final whistle.

Oh and happy 21st (again) for tomorrow FA :wink:
  • Options
    "with Slade opting for a 4-5-1 formation when without the ball, which can instantly turn into a 4-3-3 when attacking."

That's the theory anyway, but it hasn't happened too much this season so far!
  • Options
    All three results are equally likely in my view but I think we might just nick it. Talking to a Vale fan who saw their defeat against Coventry said that they were played off the park - so on that form line it should be a comfortable win!

I'll be there for what will be my first game of the season so will hopefully have a chance to meet some fellow lifers.
  • Options

"with Slade opting for a 4-5-1 formation when without the ball, which can instantly turn into a 4-3-3 when attacking."

At the moment the plan is

(1) Get the ball
    (2) Hoof to Magennis
    (3) Run on to knock on or second ball... Hang he hasn't won the ball, revent to step (1)
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    I can't see us winning this. I know they got spanked by sheff Utd but I didn't think we played well on sat. Our 2nd goal was timely. I expect Port Vale to provide a tougher test than Coventry, and we will lose 2-0

Sue Parkes' facial expressions continue to mimic that of someone's who's chewed a wasp at any outbreak of 'just sell the club'
  • Options
    The brave and glorious new era is here at last comrades and the wise, bountiful and all-seeing Comrade Nightmeire is indeed our great father mother sister person in charge ( but not on Tuesdays, when she has her hair done).

10,000 away fans salute our great leader with flag waving and tributes of airborne plastic farm animals while the regime secretly detonates their first illegal nuclear warhead in Greenwich Park, provoking a nasty letter from the Council. Biased press reports of teenage fans being brutally strangled by loyal members of the elite palace guard are dismissed as bourgeois propaganda spread by the running dogs of capitalism (and CARD).

0-0
  • Options

At the moment the plan is

(1) Get the ball
    (2) Hoof to Magennis
    (3) Run on to knock on or second ball... Hang he hasn't won the ball, revent to step (1)
    Harsh. We also have another plan - get the ball to Lookman/Holmes and hope they score a goal of the season contender.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bouyant Addicks carry on from where they left off Saturday and put another 3 goals past Port Vale...
  • Options
    Special mention to Port Vale's kits.
    Proper
  • Options
    If we win, I'll drink a celebratory glass of port. If we lose, we can draw a veil over our thoughts of a revival.
  • Options

If we win, I'll drink a celebratory glass of port. If we lose, we can draw a veil over our thoughts of a revival.

If we lose we can say "Vale" to our mini revival...
  • Options
    I was one of the few fans pre season who thought we would be up there challenging for promotion; after reading Curtis Woodhouse describe Slade as his best every manager an excellent motivator I still believe we will be going up. No I could not finish writing this without LOL. That being said I will go for a win :)
  • Options

If we lose we can say "Vale" to our mini revival...
    Nice one. I too did Latin at school.

• Options
    Better quality opposition. Fancy us to score early but lose. 1-3.

This little piggy is staying at home.
  • Options
    1-1 Port Vale looking to bounce back and 1 point might be good in circs but still we need to win games like this
  • Options
    2-0 back to losing ways
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Old Russell the Brussel would probably be happy with a point against the mighty Port Vale. 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016

1-1 Port Vale looking to bounce back and 1 point might be good in circs but still we need to win games like this

You sound like Tony Mowbray at Boro mate 'we should be beating teams like Charlton'. Vale have only lost once at home this season to.............Coventry of all teams however they are just outside play off positions (on goal difference) for a reason so I'll take a point now.
  • Options
    1-1, match thread from 6.30
  • Options
    Whatever happens, I hope we don't go there and pack the midfield in the hope of scraping a point, as that approach usually backfires. Nor, so far as I am aware, are we targeting mid-table anonymity (at least officially).

Having won only 2 of our first 7 league games at the Valley, we really do need to pick up some wins on the road - or at least have a real go at teams.
  • Options
    Match official details;

Graham Salisbury will be the man in the middle of Port Vale’s League One clash with Charlton Athletic.

Salisbury, who has officiated in four League One games and four League Two games, giving a total of 21 yellow cards and one red so far this campaign.

It will be the first Port Vale fixture Salisbury has officiated in this season and his first game since he took charge of Vale’s 2-1 win against Sheffield United last season at Vale Park.

He will be assisted by Gary Hilton and Anthony Moore, while Ben Toner will act as fourth official.

Read more at http://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/match-officials-charlton-athletic-3367270.aspx#EzJU20BGt9F3zTrO.99
  • Options
    After the Lord Mayor's n all...

No plastic pigs? No result!

2-1 to the Vale
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Whatever happens, I hope we don't go there and pack the midfield in the hope of scraping a point, as that approach usually backfires. Nor, so far as I am aware, are we targeting mid-table anonymity (at least officially).

Having won only 2 of our first 7 league games at the Valley, we really do need to pick up some wins on the road - or at least have a real go at teams.

I almost guarantee you that we will. It's not a bad tactic when you're challenging against teams above and around you in the table away from home. The problem is we're pretty gar down the table so most teams are above us.
  • Options
    A disappointment that Saturday's improved result was not really accompanied by an improved performance. The real worry is that we have a great performance and, play them off the park to lose 2-0.

Sorry really want to be upbeat, but still think RS is dead man walking. Il take us 1-0 up and losing 2-1.
  • Options
    Port Vale may be above us, but have also lost more games. We're struggling with too many draws

Indeed their goal difference is remarkably FIVE worse than ours, so we ought to approach the game in a positive manner. Whether we do so is another matter..
  • Options
    Please not Josh on his own up front. With the CMs we have available, chucking another one in is just a waste. Would like to see Ajose given another chance up front with Magennis.