Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Coventry 2016 post match views

Are those pigs flying?

Feck me, three points to the Addicks.

As nice as that is, the victory we really need is ahead of us. All match and protest coverage here.

Discuss.

Comments

• Vol au vents anyone? :smiley:
  • In footballing terms, that's what happens when you play a quality attacking midfielder (Wolf City) in his actual position
  • aliwibble said:

I'm pleased we won, not just because we needed the points given the results around us, but also because once again it shoves it back in to the faces of those who say the protests hurt the team.

Interested in the choice of the pigs though. Was this in response to some suggesting "pigs might fly that Roland will sell", or something else?

I'm going for the pig headed attitude of the regime.
  • Only went to protest so the win was a bonus. I thought we were better than Coventry but they are woeful, certain for the drop.
  • One very badly run club beat another very badly run club 3-0. Plastic pigs were thrown on the pitch: all of them looked like Meire. Normal service resumes next week.
  • edited October 2016
    let's hope that this is a PERMANENT change in our form & fortunes .. the Port Vale and Gillingham games will tell us all a lot .. whatever .. a terrific win
  • Great news, we only win when we protest....

Certainly seems that way, hope we have something akin to the D-Day landings organised for the Millwall game!

Brilliant win, sounds like Coventry are terrible and there will be tougher tests to come but we can only beat what's infront of us and we did that today, comprehensively.
  • Sponsored links:

• As posted on the match thread, pretty good result which I have no idea whether replicates the performance?

Great to see protests back In action, and to see the huge majority joining in!
    Tuesday's game will be interesting after the game today, which I'm certainly not expecting us to have turned the preverbal corner!
  • Looking at our upcoming fixtures, Port Vale on Tuesday (beaten 4-0 today) and then Gills and Chesterfield, both winless in 4. If this is the turning point, real statement to be made if we get 7/9 points. I'm not getting carried away yet, they're are bottom remember, but from listening to Coventry radio it sounded like we were better than we have been and created more. Also looking at the table, we've conceded the third least amount of goals? Just need to find our shooting boots. 442 with conventional wingers, who'd have thought it? Protests seem good as well. Excellent all round.
  • Was in the car driving back to which my West Ham supporting brother stated: "oh Charlton 3-0 up"

Sad thing is normally I'd normally clinch followed by a "GET IN" and want to know who scored etc.

But sadly I felt absolutely nothing, thanks RD and KM.

Sorry to put a downer on things just that's what it's go to.
  • Rudd and Magennis both excellent - Magennis really gives his all.
    Should have scored five or six today.
  • I thought 3 nil flattered us. A better side would have punished us.

We were outplayed at times which is worrying

I guess it did, Novak and Lookman taken their chances would have been 5 .

• Sponsored links:

• Awful no tempo no ideas and for periods Coventry looked much more comfortable.

We however stuck at it to grind out a point

Went one up top shortly before our second thought it lacked ambition but paid dividends in the end.

Lookmans corner ls woeful

Fox decision making woeful

The most Uninspiring 3-0 win your ever likely to see.

Felt those coventry fans deserved more top class
  • Awful no tempo no ideas and for periods Coventry looked much more comfortable.

We however stuck at it to grind out a point

Went one up top shortly before our second thought it lacked ambition but paid dividends in the end.

Lookmans corner ls woeful

The most Uninspiring 3-0 win your ever likely to see.

Felt those coventry fans deserved more top class

Cheers, you've saved me typing my thoughts - would have said pretty much the same.
  • I don't know if you have any hobbies but if winning 3-0 makes you this miserable, then, for your own sanity, I should spend Saturday afternoons pursuing them instead of following Charlton....nothing personal but just worried about your state of mind
  • edited October 2016
    A badly needed win for us against a team that is without doubt going to struggle to stay up. This day was about the protests first and foremost and top respect to the Cov City fans who made us realise that we are not going through this fucking shit on our own. I sincerely hope, like thousands of others that they and we can somehow remove this disease from our much loved football clubs. The fans of both clubs won today!

Yes, we won but Slade got away with it today. You are a coward Slade. Shape up or fucking ship out!
  • edited October 2016
    You win @aliwibble on the pig theory as just confirmed on SSN :disappointed: .
  • Sums up our current fan base. Win 3 0 and still moan.

Today was the opposite of recent weeks.

Today, they hit the post, we went down the other end and scored... Against Rochdale or Oldham that shot would have gone straight in.

Today the opposition wasted chance after chance... Against Oldham or Rochdale that would have ended in a goal, instead we managed to put the game to bed.

It wasn't a bad performance from us, yet 3-0... Maybe hides a few of the cracks that are still there...

Attacking I've got no concerns... Ulvestad / Holmes / Lookman / Magennis are all very dangerous whilst I think Novak and Ajose have something to offer... there will be days like AFC Wimbledon where chances dont quite come our way, but thats Football for you... As Rudd said at the Bromley Addicks meeting, that day we came up against a 'keeper who wont put in that same performance all season.

Defensively is where the work still needs to be done... We're still shaky and look like conceding every time the opposition attack quickly and intent
  • seth plum said:

PWR

A sound win but not a resounding win mainly due to Coventry bring a very live threat immediately after half time, and a very good save from Rudd during that period denied Coventry an equaliser from an own goal. Yes the score could have been four or five to us because we hit the post early on and Lookman missed a sitter, but before we took the lead Coventry hit the post from a good move, we won well in the end, but it wasn't a thrashing by any manner of means. Indeed the second goal fashioned by Maginnis was very much needed to prevent a repeat of the pattern of a lot of matches this season, I also thought the double substitution made by Coventry was a gamble that didn't pay off.
    For those who say the protests and disruption spoil their day, well I for one certainly enjoyed a 3-0 win with protests more than a 0-1 defeat without any.
    Rudd played well, the clean sheet is testament to that. Solly and Pearce had good authoritative games and Bauer and Fox pitched in, although there were times when Fox was compromised. Ulverstad made a great pass for the third goal, but both he and Crofts were average at best, and we are still in need of a decently assembled midfield. Lookman was the young talent we are getting used to, but his very youth sometimes undermined his talent, and today he did not get back and help out as much as the lovely (player) Holmes. I have only seen it once, but was Holmes' well taken goal onside?
    Novak was full of effort as far as his body and skills would allow him to be, but Maginnis, freshly returned from Germany was our best player, laying on a goal for Lookman (on a plate), then laying on another great chance, and when exhausted at the end of the game scoring. A great shift from Maginnis today.
    Every Coventry fan I met today was excellent so it was a bit of a shame that their team they were so loyally supporting were so poor.
    It would not be a good idea for us to get carried away with this result, it was not a turning point, win at Port vale on Tuesday and we will reel in a couple of dropped points, and then there is Gillingham.
    Not a day to rush to definitive judgement.

This