Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP King Bhumipol Adulyadej

The King of Thailand has died. Anyone that's been to Thailand will have seen his picture all over the place and he was revered like a god. He's not been in good health for a long time. Not sure where this is going to leave the country.

Comments

• RIP - did a lot of good stuff for the country

Could be some problems coming now, his successor is not so popular.
  • What position did he play?

RIP
  • RIP - makes QEII the worlds longest reigning living monarch I believe?
  • RIP - makes QEII the worlds longest reigning living monarch I believe?

yup
  • stonemuse said:

RIP - did a lot of good stuff for the country

Could be some problems coming now, his successor is not so popular.

RIP

the monarch in Thailand is a tricky job, you can't stay out of politics and you have an important role in what is still an unstable country...
  • RIP... Long Live the King
  • Sponsored links:

• I had to stand and salute him when I went to watch sex in the city 2 whilst out in Bangkok. Before the start of the film, we all had to rise to the anthem.
  • The Thai news channel my wife was watching went off 30 mins ago to make this announcement ---- wife is very upset.

It's difficult for us to understand how much he meant to the Thai people.

We went through a coup when we lived there --- non violent. Year after we came back to the UK another very violent coup started. The King was in his northern palace and wasn't aware what was happening in Bangkok, his daughter at Uni in France phoned and informed him of events. The King summoned the heads of the armed forces etc to him. Them live on TV made them prostrate themselves before him, apologise to the Thai people and stopping the violence, whilst I watched this with my wife she also prostrated herself in front of the TV saying thanks to her King !!

In recent years he had been in very
    poor health and that's one reason Thailand has had its issues

RIP

Stay safe Deano, Mad dog
  • cabbles said:

I had to stand and salute him when I went to watch sex in the city 2 whilst out in Bangkok. Before the start of the film, we all had to rise to the anthem.

I'd have been able to manage that for most scenes with Kim Cattrall but would have completely lost all possibility when the red head and Sarah Jessica Parker appeared on screen.
  • cabbles said:

I had to stand and salute him when I went to watch sex in the city 2 whilst out in Bangkok. Before the start of the film, we all had to rise to the anthem.

I'd have been able to manage that for most scenes with Kim Cattrall but would have completely lost all possibility when the red head and Sarah Jessica Parker appeared on screen.
    I only went in there to get out the heat and the missus wanted to watch it. The standing for the King was surreal, but you had to do it
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I only went in there to get out the heat and the missus wanted to watch it. The standing for the King was surreal, but you had to do it
    a likely story @cuddles
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

a likely story @cuddles
    I can't stand Kim Cattrall - old dog
  • RIP... and we're flying to Bangkok tomorrow. Hopefully no negative reactions!

You will find entertainment places subdued, many may be closed. Also i'd suggest dressing respectfully, i.e no bright clothes, around Bangkok and cities, though keep an eye on what other Westerners are doing. I really wouldn't expect any political unrest until after the funeral, which will be in about 12 months time, as this would be deemed disrespectful to the revered monarch.
  • Sponsored links:

You will find entertainment places subdued, many may be closed. Also i'd suggest dressing respectfully, i.e no bright clothes, around Bangkok and cities, though keep an eye on what other Westerners are doing. I really wouldn't expect any political unrest until after the funeral, which will be in about 12 months time, as this would be deemed disrespectful to the revered monarch.
    They wait 12 months for his funeral?
  • i believe they can wait even longer sometimes.

they will also have a period of mourning, (100+ days) that will be very well observed by the Thai people
  • edited October 2016

i believe they can wait even longer sometimes.

they will also have a period of mourning, (100+ days) that will be very well observed by the Thai people

12 months mourning of which the first 30 days will be the most respectful, I've just read that all regular TV programming on all Thai TV Channels is cancelled during that time and replaced with programmes celebrating the life of the King. Even the BBC has had to show the compulsory Thai programming tonight. Entertainment venues will close or be very subdued and flags will be at half mast. No doubt more to come. I think my Sunday night beachwear themed party may be toned down a bit or more likely cancelled. At least the shops are still selling beer, at least they were tonight.
  • Yep, @Bangkokaddick. Is it 30 days of no beer in bars? I should just about be ok as I land back in the Land of Smiles 5 weeks today.
  • Letters to be handed out to the bars in Pattaya first thing tomorrow.

If I was out there I wouldn't wear red or bright colours.
  • Hmm. Was going to PM you anyway @Bangkokaddick as I'm flying out to Bangkok on 22nd of this month and wanted some general tips and advice.

If all entertainment places and bars are closed or at least subdued, will definitely make for a different experience to that expected. Obviously you won't know exactly what to expect but any other bits of advice to us?

Thanks
  • Latest info from gov.UK

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand
    Following the official announcement of the death of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej there is now an official period of mourning of one year from 14 October 2016. You should respect the feelings and sensitivities of the Thai people at this time. Access to entertainment, including restaurants, bars, and shopping areas may be restricted and you should behave respectfully when in public areas. If possible, wear sombre and respectful clothing when in public. Check local media regularly and follow the advice of the local authorities.

Thank you, that's what our travel company advised. Maybe I'll leave my parrot t-shirt at home!
  • It's difficult to say at this time what the experience will be like. Full Moon Party has been cancelled, for example, but I have seen pictures of Khao Sarn Road last night and everything was normal but it wouldn't surprise me if nightclubs and bars with loud music are toned down a bit.

It's also possible that some of the smaller touristy islands such as Koh Phangan and Phi Phi will be operating without restrictions.

The PM has indicated that the public should live life normally but show respect. Difficult to know exactly what this means but don't throw the parrot t-shirt away just yet!

I'll post on here, for those of you that have holidays planned, as I hear, see or read anything more.